Catholics, Protestants, Jews and Private interpretation

I was just pondering something today. One of the things which Catholics accuse protestants of is privite interpretation of holy scriptrues and interpreting them apart from what the church has historically taught.

Well wouldn’t jews accuse catholics of the same thing concerning old testament prophesies about the messiah?

For instance when christians bring the prophesies in isaias forward as support for the passion of christ, jews will say that we are missiniterpreting it and that jews have always interpreted it to be a personification of the troubles that the jewish people have went though not nessesarilly a prophesy on how the messiah will die.

What should we make of this?

no. because history proves it. it really happened. what cannot happen is that Jesus established a Church the Catholic Church became that Church. and after 1600 years later some churches appears as a result of rebellious and disobedience to the authorities of that Church to claim to hold the truth. there is nonsense. there is no excuse to be ignorant these days.

Well, that could be an argument against Catholics yes, however their are many very convincing verses within the Old Testament which point to Jesus as being the Messiah.
The problem between Jews and Catholic Christians as it is between all Christians, is whether Jesus IS the Messiah spoken of in the Old Testament or whether He is not.

Jews believe in “a” Messiah, but they don’t accept Jesus as “the” Messiah.

Catholics don’t make private interpretations alone and go with what the Old Testaments seems to say for them. We Catholics as Jews have a hiearchy within the Church as Jesus restablished Church authority, after He allowed the Jewish hiearchy to fall in 70 AD and we don’t use private interpretation as our sole source for understanding God’s word.

well said!!!

Yes.

The next question always is: which “church”?

Well wouldn’t jews accuse catholics of the same thing concerning old testament prophesies about the messiah?

Yes.

They not only accuse Catholics of such things, but also us non-Catholic Christians.

I take their objections just as seriously as I take the RC apologist’s similar objections. They are motivated by the same desire.

For instance when christians bring the prophesies in isaias forward as support for the passion of christ, jews will say that we are missiniterpreting it and that jews have always interpreted it to be a personification of the troubles that the jewish people have went though not nessesarilly a prophesy on how the messiah will die.

What should we make of this?

What I make of it is that veracity is not determined merely by the claim. The Orthodox, for example, make the very same claim about passages such as Matt 16.

When faced with the Jew who understands some of his history, the Catholic apologist is left basically without defense because they employ the very same arguments, for the exact same reasons, and for the exact same purposes. The pain is that the Jews came first, long before the Catholic Church was a thought. That ancient pedigree of doctrine and history are also used by the RC apologist in their polemics, so the retort for the Jew is the same as to the Catholic.

A good observation, for sure.

Now when a Jew would make the claim you mention above, he is plainly wrong, no matter how sincere he is or how much he believes it. This does not stop him from employing the argument solely for its philosophical impact, however. I find much of the same approach in RC apologetics, unfortunately.

When the veil is removed, Jews will repent, as Christ prophesied they would.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.