Catholics Quoted

Choose

“Not the Creator of the Universe, in Genesis 2:1-3, but the Catholic Church “can claim the honor of having granted man a pause to his work every seven days.” – S.C. Mosna, 'Storia della Domenica”, 1969, pp. 366-367.

“Reason and common sense demand the acceptance of One or the other of these alternatives: either Protestantism and the keeping holy of Saturday, or Catholicity and the keeping holy of Sunday. Compromise is impossible. “The Catholic Mirror, December 23, 1893.”

“Sunday is therefor to this day the acknowledged offspring of the Catholic Church, as spouse of the Holy Ghost, without a word of remonstrance from the Protestant world” Editorial, The Catholic Mirror (Baltimore), September 23, 1893.

“You may read the Bible from Genesis to Revelation, and you will not find a single line authorizing the sanctification of Sunday. The Scriptures enforce the religious observance of Saturday, A day which we never sanctify.” (Cardinal Gibbons, The Faith of our Fathers – 92ne ed.rev. Baltimore: John Murphy Company, p.89.

“The Sunday … is purely a creation of the Catholic Church.” American Catholic Quarterly Review, January 1883.

“Sunday … It is a law of the Catholic Church alone…” American Sentinel (Catholic) June 1893.

“… the observance of Sunday by Protestants is an homage they pay, in spite of themselves to the authority of the Catholic Church.” Monsignor Louis Segar, Plain Talk about the Protestantism of Today. P. 213.

“But the Protestant says: How can I receive the teachings of an apostate Church? How, we ask, have you managed to receive her teachings all your life, in direct opposition to your recognized teacher, the Bible, on the Sabbath question.” The Christian Sabbath (2nd Ed; Baltimore; The Catholic Mirror, 1893) p.29,30.

“… those who follow the Bible as their guide, the Israelites and the Seventh-day Adventists have the exclusive weight of evidence on their side, whilist the Biblical Protestant has not a word in self defence of the substitution of Sunday for Saturday.” Catholic Mirror, Sept.9, 1893

“The Adventists are the only body of Christians with the Bible as their teach, who can find no warrant in its pages for the change of day from the seventh to the first. Hence their appellation, “Seventh-day Adventists.” Catholic Mirror, Sept. 9, 1893

“The (Catholic) Church changed the observance of the Sabbath to Sunday by right of divine, infallible authority given to her by her Founder, Jesus Christ. The Protestant claiming the Bible to be the only guide of faith, has no warrant for observing Sunday. In this matter the Seventh-day Adventist is the only consistent Protestant.” “The Question Box,” The Catholic Univers Bulletin, (August 14, 1942) p. 4.

In a recent Catholic church newsletter, it stated, “Perhaps the most revolutionary change the Church ever did, happened in the first century [actually in happened in the fourth century]. The holy day, the Sabbath, was changed from Saturday to Sunday. ‘The Day of the Lord’ [Dies Domini] was chosen, not from any direction noted in the Scriptures, but from the Church’s sense of its own power.…People who think that the Scriptures should be the sole authority, should logically become [Seventh-day] Adventists, and keep Saturday holy.” Saint Catherine Catholic Church Sentinel, Algonac, Michigan, May 21, 1995.

1999 Interfaith Meeting
“As reported in the Associated Press, with the Dalai Lama, sitting by his right side, this October [1999] in Rome the Pope presided at a special council of some 2000 religious leader of various faiths, sects, and cults.” (Dr, Cathy Burres, 2001, billy Graham and his friends. (Sharing Publisher. p.420)
The Pontiff told the assembled Buddhist monks, Zoroastrain priests, Catholic cardinals, Hindu gurus, American Indian shamen, Jewish rabbis, and ecumenical clergy that all must join in condeming the Christian fundamentalists who ‘abuse speech’ and whose efforts at converting others ‘incite hatred and violence.’

Interesting how repeating what the Bible says is inciting hatred and violence.

Truth being put out, you choose!

“All present were in accord on two key points: (1) Pope John Paul II was endorsed by consensus as the planet’s chief spiritual guide and overseer; and (2) Religious fundamentalists who refuse to go along with the global ecumenical movement are to be silenced. They must be denounced as ‘dangerous extremists’ full of hate.” (True Bible believer denounced at Papal Conference. Power of Prophecy (March 2000, Vol 2000-03, p.3)

Jesus said to go into all the world and preach the Truth.

“The wall of separation between church and state that was erected by secular humanists, and other enemies of religious freedom, has to come down. Those opposing our views are the new facists.”
Keith Tournier, Time January 1995

But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men. (Matthew 15:9)
If ye love me, keep my commandments. (John 14:15)
And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely. (Revelation 22:17)

The Ten Commandments tell you where your allegiance lays.

And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. (Joshua 24:15)

And Elijah came unto all the people, and said, How long halt ye between two opinions? if the LORD be God, follow him: but if Baal, then follow him. And the people answered him not a word. (1 Kings 18:21)

God bless,
Adam

Is there a point or question here?

Peace
James

It’s the SDA Sunday thing which has been answered over and over again here already. To the OP, please search for past threads and the CA library for the answer to your comments.

My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: 1 John 2:1

Jesus Christ, God is our advocate.

And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world. 1 John 2:2

Our sins can only be forgiven by God, Jesus Christ.
“For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son:” John 5:22

And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. 1 John 2:3

Keeping His commandments all 10. Shall we forget the only commandment which begins with Remember. The commandment in which God’s name, title and dominion.

God’s Seal in the heart of the commandments.
Name - LORD
Title – Creator
Dominion – Heaven and Earth

Any man who presumes to change the law of God… verse 4 explains this.

He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 1 John 2:4

But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him. 1 John 2:5

And the tables were the work of God, and the writing was the writing of God, graven upon the tables. Exodus 32:16

Does God make mistakes?

At that time the LORD said unto me, Hew thee two tables of stone like unto the first, and come up unto me into the mount, and make thee an ark of wood. (Deuteronomy 10:1)
And I will write on the tables the words that were in the first tables which thou didst break, and thou shalt put them in the ark. (Deuteronomy 10:2)

The LORD (Jesus Christ) told Moses to cut two tablets of stone, and HE will write on the tables the same words that were in the first.

Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and today, and forever. Hebrews 13:8

And changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things. (Romans 1:23)

Making God into the image made like corruptible man, have you seen the March 2008 issue of Maclean’s Magazine? Perhaps the Da Vinci Code book. To bring Jesus Christ down to our level making the image of HIM the Creator of all thing like corruptible man.

Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshiped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen. (Romans 1:25)

Was the truth of God changed into a lie? And is a creature worshiped more then the very Creator?

He is knocking.
Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. (Revelation 3:20)

Very soon the knocking will cease, …friends search the scriptures see if these be true, look unto it with earnest prayer and the spirit of learner, He is meek and lowly in heart.

When once the master of the house is risen up, and hath shut to the door, and ye begin to stand without, and to knock at the door, saying, Lord, Lord, open unto us; and he shall answer and say unto you, I know you not whence ye are: (Luke 13:25)

Study the sanctuary

Search the Scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. (John 5:39)

Jesus quoted the Old Testament, (especially Deuteronomy) how did Jesus know the word so well,… He learned how to read from it.

God bless,
Adam

freemediaministry.org/totalonslaught.aspx

adamoses; this is Gabriel of 12, before answering your misinterpreted column here about the Catholic church. Being that you; and I quote you; the “Jews” serve the sabbath according to the dictate of the law. Can you please inform us how you “being a Christian” subscribe to the sabbath day laws of the old covenant. If SDA’s are so correct in serving the sabbath. Please inform us of how to correctly serve the sabbath on saturday according to the precepts of Law?

And then after teaching us how to correctly observe the saturday sabbath according to the precepts of the law, can you please inform us of what was the purpose of Jesus fulfilling the law and prophets, not to mention redeem humanity from the precepts of the law which condemns man to death? and why you claim to be christian to hold to the old covenant laws to which the New Testament and apostles clearly state that humanity has been freed from the law in Jesus Christ.

Please answer the sabbath ordinances according to scripture, then acknowledge that you as a SDA keep the sabbath. This will be interesting, being there is no more temple in Jerusalem, and SDA’s do not have an ordained priesthood to conduct the sabbath, not to mention no flesh and blood sacrifice.

If you have a hard time answering my questions is because you cannot. The only priesthood that offers a sacrifice once and for all is Jesus Christ, to which he has ordained his Catholic church to make present his body and blood in the Eucharist according to God’s word as an offering for the sin of the world. Do you have a better sacrifice to offer God in your saturday bible study, other than the body blood soul and divinity of Jesus Christ in the Eucharist.

Peace be with you

Could I have the verse in the Bible that states the day Saturday? I mean the actual word Saturday too, not your opinion, the actual word.

Obviously there is no question in this thread, just an opportunity for verse swapping.
Jesus taught a way of life, not a series of “sound bites”. If you would follow him, then Study the Gospels as a whole and not in bits and pieces.
I will address but one of the items in your “patchwork quilt” above, and that is this:

Our sins can only be forgiven by God, Jesus Christ.
“For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son:” John 5:22

The Father committed all Judgement to the Son, who committed it to Peter, (Matthew 16:19) and the apostles, (John 20: 21-23). While we know that Christ is the one who truly forgives, it is through the ministries of our Priests that we can confess and know that we have been forgiven.

This one point should be sufficient to demonstrate the fallacy of verse shopping.

Peace
James

I checked on just one of the quotes. It isn’t a direct quote from the stated source. The quotation was added to, and it comes from a non-Catholic site.

Honesty goes a long way…

When was honesty needed to hate the Church? You can go much farther lying about it.

He who submits himself to part of the law submits himself to ALL of the law. And Christ’s sacrifice amounts to nothing

Do SDA’s refrain from eating certain types of Meat?
Do they have Jubilee celebrations?
Do they offer animal sacrifices for your sins…

You have a choice… you can follow the Law, or you can follow Jesus…

In Christ

In a recent Catholic church newsletter, it stated, “Perhaps the most revolutionary change the Church ever did, happened in the first century [actually in happened in the fourth century]. The holy day, the Sabbath, was changed from Saturday to Sunday. ‘The Day of the Lord’ [Dies Domini] was chosen, not from any direction noted in the Scriptures, but from the Church’s sense of its own power.…People who think that the Scriptures should be the sole authority, should logically become [Seventh-day] Adventists, and keep Saturday holy.” Saint Catherine Catholic Church Sentinel, Algonac, Michigan, May 21, 1995.

Clearly the Catholic newletter quoted above doesn’t know much about Seventh Day Adventists (SDA). That denomination does not hold the Scriptures as their sole authority, instead it has a prophetess which it considers divinely inspired.

The topic that the OP raised is not the Seventh Day Sabbath, rather it is the Authority of the Church.

It seems that I remember Christians meeting on the first day of the week in the Bible several times…checking…yup, they sure did.

John 20:19 On the evening of that first day of the week, when the disciples were together, with the doors locked for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you!”

Acts 20:7 On the first day of the week we came together to break bread. Paul spoke to the people and, because he intended to leave the next day, kept on talking until midnight.

1 Corinthians 16:2 On the first day of every week, each one of you should set aside a sum of money in keeping with his income, saving it up, so that when I come no collections will have to be made.

Also, Jesus instituted the Eucharist on Sunday, not Saturday, when he said, “Do this in remembrance of me…”, well, it’s not a giant leap of logic here.

Clearly, anybody who says there is no scriptural basis of Christians setting Sunday apart, and that doing so is a recognition of Catholic authority, is making a baseless claim.

Not to nitpick (here I go, anyway) but the Eucharist was actually instituted on a Thursday. It was rising from the dead that Jesus did on the Sunday, and that’s the reason we call it “The Lord’s Day” or the day of the New Creation.

Clearly, anybody who says there is no scriptural basis of Christians setting Sunday apart, and that doing so is a recognition of Catholic authority, is making a baseless claim.

The authority of the Catholic Church to set times and seasons comes from Christ Himself, who said, “What you bind on earth is bound in Heaven, what you loose on earth is loosed in Heaven” (Matthew 18:18) - the One Holy Catholic Church could bind us to worship on all seven days of the week, and if it did so, Christ Himself would say that it is a sin not to do so, since He binds in Heaven what the One Holy Catholic Church binds on earth - that is His promise. (Of course, it is extremely unlikely that the Church would ever do this.)

I believe this is the crux of the post’s. Authority to which you have gracefully elaborated. The apostles in scripture already show excercising her authority, for ordaining Judas replacement to the twelve. Counciled in Jerusalem to settle the disputes between Jewish laws and Gentiles. Not to mention allowed the Gentiles in the Church under the authority of Peter. Then we have them celebrating Mass on the first day “Sunday” the resurrection day. The Keys of the kingdom to which Peter holds, and the binding and loosing that Jesus promises to take active part in from heaven, clearly states the infallibility of the Pope and Unity of the Bishops when acting under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, that Jesus is truly active in the Church body. There is no other entity on earth that exists since the first century acting out the will of God today except the Catholic church, who posseses the Keys, and the power to bind and loose, as scripture clearly states.

What one must understand here is that the Catholic church is fully divine (infallible) and fully human (subject to error). And it is the Word of God himself that excercises his will through her to instruct the believers and save his children.

My mistake, you’re right. A careless search for “first day” on my part that included a verse that says, “on the first day of the feast of unleavened bread” which was indeed Thursday. :wink:

The authority of the Catholic Church to set times and seasons comes from Christ Himself, who said, “What you bind on earth is bound in Heaven, what you loose on earth is loosed in Heaven” (Matthew 18:18) - the One Holy Catholic Church could bind us to worship on all seven days of the week, and if it did so, Christ Himself would say that it is a sin not to do so, since He binds in Heaven what the One Holy Catholic Church binds on earth - that is His promise. (Of course, it is extremely unlikely that the Church would ever do this.)

Interesting. So, couldn’t the Catholic church just declare that everybody is saved? That would make the job so much easier, and presumably, it would cause Jesus to return.

They could, but it would go against free will and the Holy Spirit has not lead them to. Basically, God does not want the Church to do that.

It is like instead of Christ dying for our sins, would it not have been easier to remove our ability to sin?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.