Catholics rally behind DC priest amid controversy

ewtnnews.com/catholic-news/US.php?id=7395

It’s refreshing to see Catholics supporting a priest who is true to Catholic teaching.
I hope this is not going to be a new “trend” students trying to oust priests.

faith before polititcs. This priest was teaching the truth. Young people are getting caught up in this web of deception.

You better get used to it, because I fear eventually it will become the norm here. This attack on our beliefs is already happening in our northern neighbor. And anyone who believes that “this can’t possibly happen in the U.S.” is greatly mistaken!

The Catholic bishop of Calgary, Fred Henry, was threatened with litigation and charged with a human-rights violation after he wrote a letter to local churches outlining standard Catholic teaching on marriage. ***The Bishop is forced to spend thousands of dollars defending himself and has his reputation pummelled in the media. ***

In British Columbia, a small town Knights of Columbus chapter rented out its building for a wedding party. When the hall managers learned that it was a lesbian couple, they apologized, explained that they could not proceed with the arrangement, and agreed to find an alternate venue and pay for new invitations to be printed. The couple wasn’t satisfied, and the hall management was prosecuted. The human-rights commission ruled that the Knights of Columbus should not have turned the couple down, and imposed a small fine on them.

Two Canadian provinces are considering laws which likely will prevent educators, even in private denominational schools, from teaching that they disapprove of same-sex marriage. A senior government minister in Ontario announced that if the Catholic church did not approve of homosexuality or gay marriage, it "would have to change its teaching."

There is also a campaign to remove tax-free status from religious institutions that refuse to consecrate same-sex marriages. When asked about how this would undermine charitable efforts on behalf of the poor and homeless undertaken by numerous Christian chuches, one of the leaders of Equality for Gays and Lesbians Everywhere replied ***“We’ll only take away charitable status from the buildings where the priests live and where the people pray.” ***

Ontario’s Catholic schools can’t opt out of a revamped sex ed curriculum ***even if it goes against their religious beliefs to teach kids about masturbation and homosexuality, ***Premier Dalton McGuinty said

An official transcript sent to LifeSiteNews by the Ontario government confirms that Dalton McGuinty’s Education Minister told media on Wednesday that Catholic schools should not be teaching that abortion is wrong because it is a violation of the government’s newly-enacted anti-bullying bill.

In comments largely ignored or buried by Canada’s mainstream media, Minister Laurel Broten told a press conference at Queen’s Park that Catholic teaching on abortion is “misogyny.”

Premier Dalton McGuinty’s office has forwarded queries about Broten’s remarks to her office.

“We do not allow and we’re very clear with the passage of Bill 13 that Catholic teachings cannot be taught in our schools that violates human rights and which brings a lack of acceptance to participation in schools,” she said when asked if it’s okay for the schools to encourage pro-life rallies.

Peace, Mark

scary stuff here, reminds me of the begginings of the French revolution.

Very scary indeed…

If we are to be mistreated by society, it is our cross to bear. It breaks my heart, but Christ never said to follow Him would be easy. I only pray that I will be able to hold fast to the Truth. Even now, I have many strained relationships because I have not bowed to society on matters of faith. I have had good friends tell me that to be Christian is to hate and oppress. These things break my heart, but it is not entirely unexpected.

Be nice if the Church stood behind him too, don’t you think? You know, here’s the message, and if you don’t like it, tough.

Meanwhile, a student at the university has launched a website in support of Fr. Shaffer. Entitled The Chaplain We Know, the site features dozens of glowing testimonies from students about how the priest has touched their lives, and paying tribute to his spirit of service and passion for the Catholic faith.

lifesitenews.com/news/gay-students-organize-campaign-to-kick-out-catholic-priest-for-saying-homos

Thank God for priests like these…may we be blessed with more of them in the future.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.