Catholics that were corrupt

Recently, at a political message board someone thought the end of the world was coming with the European Union. They described Revelation and included the Catholic Church. Of course, they listed atrocities like the Inquistion, money corruption and it was obviously anti-Catholic despite they said they didn’t mean to offend Catholics. Of course, they blame all of these on the Church and thought they would’ve helped made a New World Order. They also referred to the Church as the harlot because it’s called the Mother Church.

I understand there were bad Catholics like Elizabeth Bathory, Mary I and Hitler (but there were Christians who died in the camps). But they don’t represent the Church, why do people seem to blame the Church based on the actions of a few.

I understand the Catholic Church was powerful in Europe after the fall of Rome. Could someone help me how to counter this?

Oh yeah, when I was at the book store. There were more Nazis aligned with the Church books. Hatred is just a waste of time.

I’ve been busy with school that’s why I haven’t been posting as much.

Well, first, Mary I (I assume you mean Mary I of England, elder daughter of Henry VIII and his wife Catherine of Aragon), was not a “bad Catholic”. That is all Elizabethan “bad press”. Mary, 37 at the time of her succession to the throne on the death of her brother, Edward VI, faced in her all of FIVE YEAR reign a country which was by that time still more Catholic than Protestant, especially up in the North Country and out of the big cities, but which had most of the big wigs in the government and in the nobility either solidly Protestant, or “profiting through” such antiCatholic measures as the dissolution of the monasteries.

Mary was faced with the task of trying to win back the kingdom to Catholicism–and she was supported by many. But her decision to marry a Spanish King–Philip–proved unpopular, even though there was really no one else (the Catholic French princes being far too young) for her to rely on.

Mary–like Elizabeth–was reluctant to interfere in the personal lives of her subjects; but Mary also was gifted with far greater faith. If Elizabeth’s ministers had been on the CATHOLIC side, despite her “personal Protestantism” she would have gone over quite readily and become the MODEL CATHOLIC (as Henri IV , Duke of Narvarre, renounced his protestantism to become King of France, saying, “Paris is worth a Mass”). Mary’s faith called for her to try to bring those whom she considered to have “wandered from the fold” back to what she herself believed was the true faith. A daughter of an absolute monarch, she also believed herself, as queen, to be as responsible for the SOULS of her subjects as she was for their BODIES.

The number of the Protestants martyred under Mary was far, FAR less than those Catholics martyred under Elizabeth, even setting aside Elizabeth’s much longer reign.

Mary I has gotten a very undeserved reputation, IMO.

[quote=Sub-Zero]Recently, at a political message board someone thought the end of the world was coming with the European Union. They described Revelation and included the Catholic Church. Of course, they listed atrocities like the Inquistion, money corruption and it was obviously anti-Catholic despite they said they didn’t mean to offend Catholics. Of course, they blame all of these on the Church and thought they would’ve helped made a New World Order. They also referred to the Church as the harlot because it’s called the Mother Church.

I understand there were bad Catholics like Elizabeth Bathory, Mary I and Hitler (but there were Christians who died in the camps). But they don’t represent the Church, why do people seem to blame the Church based on the actions of a few.

I understand the Catholic Church was powerful in Europe after the fall of Rome. Could someone help me how to counter this?

Oh yeah, when I was at the book store. There were more Nazis aligned with the Church books. Hatred is just a waste of time.

I’ve been busy with school that’s why I haven’t been posting as much.
[/quote]

Just a note, Hitler was not Catholic. He was into astrology and wanted to bring back the Norse myth gods. His 3rd in command was some Alister Crowley type guy.

I heard that Hitler was born Catholic but later rejected it and came to hate Catholicism.

And Elizabeth Bathory? Wasn’t she a vampire or something? Were they trying to say the church condones vampirism? Oh well, if they could be so wrong about Hitler then they could twist anything around I guess!

[quote=lovelavender]I heard that Hitler was born Catholic but later rejected it and came to hate Catholicism.
[/quote]

I watched a few documentary’s on the History channel and they never even mentioned he was Catholic.

Here’s an article…
**Nazi Policy and the Catholic Church ** catholiceducation.org/articles/history/world/wh0033.html

[quote=lovelavender]I heard that Hitler was born Catholic but later rejected it and came to hate Catholicism.
[/quote]

No one is born catholic. He was however batptized as a catholic in catholic circles a craddle catholic however after that his Catholcism is real mystery there is not even evidence he ever was confirmed he never went to church as an adult so to claim Hitelr is a catholics is the suff of anti-catholicism for he was never formed in the faith and never practiced it.
Joseph Stalin was an avid church goer into early adulthood and a seminary candidate in the Russian Orthodox church but you really never hear him descirbed as an Russian Orhtodox. Hmm wonder wh.
Perhaps becasue the church’s enemies want to associate Hitler with the catholic church when their is really no connection. He was a clear enemy of the church and an anti-cathoilic if was practicing his faith he wouldn’t have done the things he did.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.