Catholics this will anger you! Who will speak for Jesus with us?

This e-mail was sent to me and I passed it along it is not a Hanukkah bush,
it is not an Allah plant,
it is not a Holiday Hedge,or a Kwanza Branch.
It is a Christmas tree.

Say it... CHRISTmas

Yes. CHRISTmas - celebrating the Birth of Jesus

Here is the reply I received from a "new age" wiccan relative quoting from [www.religioustolerance.com](www.religioustolerance.com)

"Some Christians object to their Christian holiday traditions no longer being given prime or exclusive status.

Some followers of non-Christian religions object to having their faith group’s religious celebrations ignored and swamped by the attention given to Christmas.

The basic question here is whether Yeshua of Nazareth (a.k.a. Jesus Christ) is the reason for the season, or a reason for the season.

Here are a few of the holidays celebrated by Americans in December:

Christians celebrate Christmas on DEC-25 as Jesus’ birthday.
Wiccans and many other Neopagans, celebrate Yule, about DEC-21.
Jews observe Hanukkah, an eight day Feast of Lights, commemorating a fight for religious freedom.
Muslims observed the holy lunar month of Ramadan in the early years of this century which commemorated the gift of the Qur’an to humanity. Between 2006 and 2008, it will be Id al-Adha (a.k.a. the Feast of Sacrifice or Day of Sacrifice).
Many secularists, Agnostics, and Atheists, etc. celebrate the Winter Solstice, about DEC-21.
Buddhists observe Bodhi Day
Nova Romans celebrate Saturnalia. These are Neopagans who worship the ancient Gods of Rome and who celebrate the ancient Roman holy days.
Winter Solstice by some Native Americans and Aboriginals in the rest of the world.
Festivus, a celebration “for the rest of us”. This was popularized on a 1997 Seinfeld TV episode, and is growing in support as a simple, rather humorous family alternative to Christmas with a minimum of commercialization. It is held on DEC-23, approximately midway between the Winter Solstice and Christmas.
Kwanzaa is a week-long celebration recognizing African-American history and culture.
Shabe-Yalda is an Iranian inter-faith celebration in honor of the sun’s rebirth.

Some food for thought:

The percentage of adults who identify themselves as Christians is steadily dropping, by just under 1 percentage point per year in both countries.

The percentage of adults who follow other religions, or who are non-religious, is increasing at the same rate.

If the rate of decline of Christian affiliation in the U.S. continues at its present rate, Christians themselves will become a minority by the 2030s
This is the direction the world is heading. We as catholics and christians most stand up for our faith before our quietism and complaisance quiets us into such a whisper we are no longer heard. (This is her personal opinion on the matter) My two cents:

Perhaps all of you Christians that insist on “merry christmas” because you are the majority, will feel differently when you are a minority and “merry christmas” has been replaced with Pagan “happy yule” or Muslim “kull sana wa anta bi-khayr.” Because unless we promote tolerance of and respect for ALL religions now, you may find yourselves with the shoe on the other foot – and the victims of your own intolerance.

Happy Yule from one very tolerant Wiccan. And Merry Christmas to all you Christians. OKAY NOW WHAT DO WE CATHOLICS HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THAT?

Well Here Is What We Sent Back: Seasons Greetings,

Since You Felt The Need To Send Us Something Of Your ‘two-cents Worth’, Please Extend The Same To Us. Since You Feel Offended By The Term “merry Christmas”, For Which This Season Is Named For, I Will Instead Refer To This As “The First Coming Of Jesus, Son Of God Celebration”. I Promise Not To Say Merry Christmas Any More In This Letter because I Am Tolerant Of Other Peoples Feelings.

So Are You Working This Christ…sorry, “The First Coming Of Jesus, Son Of God Celebration”? Most-likely No, Because Most Companies Observe “The First Coming Of Jesus, Son Of God Celebration” Out Of Respect For Their Workers Beliefs. Well, If You Are Working, God Bless You For Your Dedicated Service To Your God Whatever That May Be.

The Issue At Hand Isn’t About Tolerance Or Intolerance. I Believe You Have The Right To Assemble And Worship As You See Fit, Providing No One Gets Hurt. Those Rights Were Stated By Our Founding Fathers. Here’s The Kicker, Nowhere In The Constitution Does It Say ‘seperation Of Church And State’. That Referance Is In The Articles And It Applies To The Government Not Establishing A State Religion (like In England, Where The King Was Head Of State And Head Of The Church). However, The Founding Fathers Were Christians, And They Established Laws Based On The Judeo-christian Values, Morals And Ethics. That’s Not Establishing Any Religion Though. Tolerance Was At The Forefront Of Their Thinking.

Today, Things Are Going The Other Direction. No One Is Being Tolerant Of Peoples Beliefs That Have been Here An Aweful Long Time. We Are Extending The ‘minority Opinon’ Ahead Of The Magority Opinon. When I Was In School, We Said The Pledge Of Allegiance. If Someone Didn’t Want To Because Of Religious Beliefs, They Could Be Excused. No Problem There. Now, A Very Few People In This Country Think The Minority Is Greater Then Or Equal To The Majority. Last Time I Checked, The Two-thirds Majority Is Greater Then One-third. Perhaps It’s A ‘new Math’ Thing.

If You Know Your History, Then You Know That The Ten Commandments Are The Basis Of All Law In The U.s. And Much Of The Civilized World. It’s Hard To Argue Against 2000 Year Old Beliefs (christ), Let Alone Nearly 4000 Year Old Beleifs (the Commandments). This Isn’t Really Something To Sneeze At.

So, If You Wish Not To Partake In The “The First Coming Of Jesus, Son Of God Celebration”, That’s Fine With Me. But Don’t Try To Remove “the First Coming Of Jesus, Son Of God Celebration” From The Pulbic Light. For This Is Exactly What Non-christian Religious Groups Are Doing. If You Want To Have Public Celebrations Honoring Your God(s), So Be It. I’m Not Trying To Stop Yours. We Americans Recognize Christian, Jewish, Islamic Holidays (holy-days). When You Become The Majority I Will Be Dead And Buried. Explaining To The One True God How I Tried To Save You From Yourself And The ‘darkside’

Have A Great Time Working On “The First Coming Of Jesus, Son Of God Celebration”.

Well Now…does Anyone Else Want To Add There Two Cents I Will Be Glad To send this thread along Get Any And All Messages You Post Here To This Person. I Will Be Praying For Her As Well As For All Of Us Christians. We Need To Stop Putting God In The Backseat Because We Don’t Want To Stand Out, Or Be Different, Or Even Be Called A Jesus Freak. I For One Would Be Glad To Be Classified With The Other Jesus Freaks From Our Past Namely The Apostles, The Saints, And All Others Who Lived And Died For Christ. They Weren’t Ashamed Or Embarrassed To Be Different And To Speak Of God And Jesus With Anyone…everyday…all The Time!!! I Use To Not Say Things Because I Didn’t Want To Stir Up Any Trouble Or Cause Anyone To Be Uncomfortable But Now I Know It Is My Obligation As Well As My Privilege To Speak Up With Love And Understanding For Our Lord. And So I Say Merry Christmas And Happy “the First Coming Of Jesus, Son Of God Celebration” Day… Go Tell It On The Mountain, Over The Hills And Everywhere…that Jesus Christ Is Born!!! :slight_smile: :thumbsup:

I think you wrote too many words in response to all her silliness. I’d have responded to her rant with: "MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU TOO! :smiley: "

She’s just looking for attention, like a crying baby. Don’t give her the perverse fun of having ruffled your feathers. :wink:

My first thought was to either ignore her or pretty much do as you suggested but then I thought more about it and came to the conclusion that you can’t change things by being silent. I think thats how things have gotten so crazy. A few less words could have said the message but then a lot more could also have been said also. This was a happy medium I think. Love and Peace of God to all this Merry Christmas Season! :thumbsup:

Dear friend

The ladies intolerance is clearly shown by her out of proportion reaction to a simple Christmas greeting from yourself. If she is truly tolerant she would wish you well for Christmas and should she send you any greetings relating to her beliefs, you should wish her well for her festivals etc. This lady does not understand tolerance to even begin to preach about it.

I have many muslim friends and all wish me well at Christmas and send me Christmas cards precisely because we exercise love and tolerance of each other and I send them greetings and wish them well for Eid.

I wouldn’t go into a long dialogue as you have posted here, that would do more harm than good. I’d simply reply saying you wish her well and hope your message of love, peace and joy at Christmas was as relative to her humanity in her faith as it is to you in Christianity, pointing out that this is not a time for discord, but to renew friendships and grow in understanding and love of each other.

Some people like to play the martyr when there is no need to especially if it gets them a little attention!

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

Her response preaching about tolerance revealed her intolerance.

[quote=super64]Well Here Is What We Sent Back: Seasons Greetings,

Since You Felt The Need To Send Us Something Of Your ‘two-cents Worth’, Please Extend The Same To Us. Since You Feel Offended By The Term “merry Christmas”, For Which This Season Is Named For, I Will Instead Refer To This As “The First Coming Of Jesus, Son Of God Celebration”. I Promise Not To Say Merry Christmas Any More In This Letter because I Am Tolerant Of Other Peoples Feelings.

So Are You Working This Christ…sorry, “The First Coming Of Jesus, Son Of God Celebration”? Most-likely No, Because Most Companies Observe “The First Coming Of Jesus, Son Of God Celebration” Out Of Respect For Their Workers Beliefs. Well, If You Are Working, God Bless You For Your Dedicated Service To Your God Whatever That May Be.

The Issue At Hand Isn’t About Tolerance Or Intolerance. I Believe You Have The Right To Assemble And Worship As You See Fit, Providing No One Gets Hurt. Those Rights Were Stated By Our Founding Fathers. Here’s The Kicker, Nowhere In The Constitution Does It Say ‘seperation Of Church And State’. That Referance Is In The Articles And It Applies To The Government Not Establishing A State Religion (like In England, Where The King Was Head Of State And Head Of The Church). However, The Founding Fathers Were Christians, And They Established Laws Based On The Judeo-christian Values, Morals And Ethics. That’s Not Establishing Any Religion Though. Tolerance Was At The Forefront Of Their Thinking.

Today, Things Are Going The Other Direction. No One Is Being Tolerant Of Peoples Beliefs That Have been Here An Aweful Long Time. We Are Extending The ‘minority Opinon’ Ahead Of The Magority Opinon. When I Was In School, We Said The Pledge Of Allegiance. If Someone Didn’t Want To Because Of Religious Beliefs, They Could Be Excused. No Problem There. Now, A Very Few People In This Country Think The Minority Is Greater Then Or Equal To The Majority. Last Time I Checked, The Two-thirds Majority Is Greater Then One-third. Perhaps It’s A ‘new Math’ Thing.

If You Know Your History, Then You Know That The Ten Commandments Are The Basis Of All Law In The U.s. And Much Of The Civilized World. It’s Hard To Argue Against 2000 Year Old Beliefs (christ), Let Alone Nearly 4000 Year Old Beleifs (the Commandments). This Isn’t Really Something To Sneeze At.

So, If You Wish Not To Partake In The “The First Coming Of Jesus, Son Of God Celebration”, That’s Fine With Me. But Don’t Try To Remove “the First Coming Of Jesus, Son Of God Celebration” From The Pulbic Light. For This Is Exactly What Non-christian Religious Groups Are Doing. If You Want To Have Public Celebrations Honoring Your God(s), So Be It. I’m Not Trying To Stop Yours. We Americans Recognize Christian, Jewish, Islamic Holidays (holy-days). When You Become The Majority I Will Be Dead And Buried. Explaining To The One True God How I Tried To Save You From Yourself And The ‘darkside’

Have A Great Time Working On “The First Coming Of Jesus, Son Of God Celebration”.

Well Now…does Anyone Else Want To Add There Two Cents I Will Be Glad To send this thread along Get Any And All Messages You Post Here To This Person. I Will Be Praying For Her As Well As For All Of Us Christians. We Need To Stop Putting God In The Backseat Because We Don’t Want To Stand Out, Or Be Different, Or Even Be Called A Jesus Freak. I For One Would Be Glad To Be Classified With The Other Jesus Freaks From Our Past Namely The Apostles, The Saints, And All Others Who Lived And Died For Christ. They Weren’t Ashamed Or Embarrassed To Be Different And To Speak Of God And Jesus With Anyone…everyday…all The Time!!! I Use To Not Say Things Because I Didn’t Want To Stir Up Any Trouble Or Cause Anyone To Be Uncomfortable But Now I Know It Is My Obligation As Well As My Privilege To Speak Up With Love And Understanding For Our Lord. And So I Say Merry Christmas And Happy “the First Coming Of Jesus, Son Of God Celebration” Day… Go Tell It On The Mountain, Over The Hills And Everywhere…that Jesus Christ Is Born!!! :slight_smile: :thumbsup:
[/quote]

What’s with all of the caps???

Sorry about the caps it was done accidently. Merry Christmas!

As this thread deals with a defense of the faith, it has been moved to Apologetics.

Merry Christmas!!

The times are becoming so sad that no one is tolerant of anything anymore. The celebration of Christmas in the US finally gained popularity in early victorian times. But the point is this. This country was founded on the right to worship. And though the Puritans did not celebrate “Christmas” the fact is that we do now. And to do it in the spirit of giving Gory to God is what is important. This bologna about the 10 comandents not being allowed to be displayed in a public place, not being able to pray in school, can’t say the pledge… Why can’t everyone respect each others choices? The US is a melting pot, with cultures from every corner of the earth. I personally enjoy seeing how other people celebrate their faith and culture. I don’t understand how a Christmas tree is harming ones rights if they are a non believer. Then to them it should just be a tree with lights on it. (like they have at disneyland). Hummm… maybe Disneyland will have to stop having a Christmas parade, and we’ll get rid of the Rose parade and the Macy’s day parade too. Hey lets just clear the calander of all holidays. Ban all religous and history books from the public librarys. We’ll go back to practicing our faith in caves and basements, so as not to upset our “different believing” neighbor. We’ll put Hallmark out of business so we don’t upset the JW’s when they are walking thru the mall. And Mc.Donalds will have to permanatly have to take down old glory too, Can’t eat a hamburger while looking at a “graven image”. As far as I am concerned the ACLU if stomping on my right as an American and a Christian to observe all faiths and cultures in peace. And in the meantime my daughter gets to be taught Darwinisim & safe sex in public school. Being gay is ok, so is piercing your face and tatooing your body beyond recognition. “Do you cut yourself?” is as common a question as “what did you have for breakfast?” This world is going straight to hell in a hand basket…

Have A blessed day
Darla

[quote=Della]I think you wrote too many words in response to all her silliness. I’d have responded to her rant with: "MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU TOO! :smiley: "

** She’s just looking for attention**, like a crying baby. Don’t give her the perverse fun of having ruffled your feathers. :wink:
[/quote]

:banghead:

I don’t care what this person believes! I know what I believe, who God really is, and what He did for me!

[quote=super64]I Will Instead Refer To This As “The First Coming Of Jesus, Son Of God Celebration”. I Promise Not To Say Merry Christmas Any More In This Letter because I Am Tolerant Of Other Peoples Feelings.
[/quote]

I like that! I think I will use that phrase now instead of the bland Merry Christmas. “Happy First Coming of Jesus, Son of God Celebration” or maybe, “Joyous Coming of the Promised Savior of All Mankind, to You” and “Happy Welcoming of the Light of Christ, the One Way to Heaven Celebration, to you” or the list is endless, but we can thank them for getting us out of our complacency and realizing what we really are celebrating!

Thank you for all the great responses it has blostered my belief that we can pass through this time of doubt and corruption. We all need to fight the good fight…but with peaceful words and the love of Christ. Have a blessed Christmas everyone and remember as St. Francis of Assisi said preach always if neccesary use words. :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.