Catholics to celebrate feast of the 'Lily of the Mohawks' [CNA]

CNA STAFF, Jul 12, 2009 / 04:49 am (CNA).- On July 14, the Church will celebrate the feast day of Blessed Kateri Tekakwitha, the first Native American to be beatified. Known as the “Lily of the Mohawks,” Kateri lived a life of holiness and virtue, despite obstacles and opposition within her tribe.

Kateri was born in Auriesville, New York, in 1656 to a Christian Algonquin woman and a pagan Mohawk chief. When she was a child, a smallpox epidemic attacked her tribe and both her parents died. She was left with permanent scars on her face and impaired eyesight. Her uncle, who had now become chief of the tribe, adopted her and her aunts began planning her marriage while she was still very young.

When three Jesuit fathers were visiting the tribe in 1667 and staying in the tent of her uncle, they spoke to her of Christ, and though she did not ask to be baptized, she believed in Jesus with an incredible intensity. She also realized that she was called into an intimate union with God as a consecrated virgin.

Full article…

I was at her national shrine on July 5 in Fonda, NY for mass. There was an indian pow-pow there that day.

I’m praying to her. Hopefully she’ll become a saint.:sad_yes:

Frank

Is my eyesight getting bad? Did you just write that you pray TO her? Please don’t tell me you did… Or did you now? Come on! You’re destroying every so called stereotype, by turning it into a fact.

Exodus 20:2-5
2 I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.
5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

Prayer to somebody like that is simply idolatry… She cannot hear you and only Jesus can help you.
Prayer to God is acceptable because He can answer prayer and He will.
Jesus Christ is the only intercessor…

Romans 8:27
And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

Romans 8:34
Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.

Ephesians 2:18
For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.

Ephesians 3:11-12
11 According to the eternal purpose which he purposed in Christ Jesus our Lord:
12 In whom we have boldness and access with confidence by the faith of him.

Hebrews 9:24
For Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands, which are the figures of the true; but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us:

Hebrews 7:25
Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.

Please permit me to answer. Yes; that is what he meant: to. It’s called intercessory prayer, like asking a friend to pray to GOD for you; and when you ask someone something you need to talk to someone. The problem here is te cumbersomeness of the English language. The English word ‘worship’ can be broken down into two categories:

1. Adoration/Latria: the praise offered to GOD alone
  2. Veneration/Dulia: honoring a saint, which can be further broken down:
    2A) Dulia: honoring a saint
    2B) Hyperdulia: honoring the Virgin Mary.

Pax.

Saints in heaven who take requests to God and hear what is going on here is stated in Revelations 6:9-11 where the saints in heaven cry out for revenge.

Hebrews 12:1 - the cloud of witnesses are the saints in heaven there to cheer us on.

While Christ is the only mediator between man and God, in 1 Tim 2 Paul is also requesting others to mediate with Christ on our behalf. “First of all, then, I ask that supplications, prayers, petitions, and thanksgivings be offered for everyone, 2 for kings and for all in authority, that we may lead a quiet and tranquil life in all devotion and dignity. 3 This is good and pleasing to God our savior,” The saints do not take Christ’s place, they help us by praying to Christ on our behalf.

Do you pray for your friends and family? You are then mediating and praying intercessorary prayers just as the saints already in heaven.

Truly awesome! I will also be praying to St. Kateri, particularly for Janet1983’s conversion back to the one true Church. :thumbsup:

St. Kateri, pray for Janet. :crossrc:

Thank you puppypatrol!

What does this mean: “Bail o Dhia is Mhuire duit.”?

If you go to my page, I have a Kateri Album.

Thank you.

Thank you Holly3278!

I will be praying for Janet also, along with all the fallen away catholics.

Kateri pray for us!

See my page for The Kateri Tekawitha National Shrine and other art works. I was there two weeks ago for mass. They had an indian pow-wow. I danced around the campfire with the indians. What FUN!:smiley:

May God keep you and protect you!

You’re welcome. If Janet wants other proof of praying to saints from Scripture I have some, all she needs to do is ask. (example Mark 9:4)

Bail o Dhia is Mhuire duit is Celtic for “the Blessings of God and Mary go with you”

No offense Janet1983!!:o

I didn’t realize you were the Janet we were praying for when I wrote my post.

I’m sure you’re a good catholic!:slight_smile:

Hey puppypatrol,

I like that: Bail o Dhia is Mhuire duit is Celtic for “the Blessings of God and Mary go with you”

That’s wonderful!!!

I’m Irish and I’m devoted to Mary. It’s perfect!

Have a good one!

“The grace of the Lord Jesus be with all the saints. Amen.”
-Revelation 22:21

Huh?

What kind of strange Bible is that?

Any of you who visit Bl. Kateri’s Shrine in Fonda should also check out the North American Martyrs’ Shrine in Auriesville just a few miles away.

I checked my bible, and I think roselily’s quote is just FINE!
She’s a very good friend of mine and an accomplished scholar, and I trust her research!

Bail o Dhia is Mhuire duit. [Celtic for “the Blessings of God and Mary go with you”]

Yes didymus: “Any of you who visit Bl. Kateri’s Shrine in Fonda should also check out the North American Martyrs’ Shrine in Auriesville just a few miles away.”

I go there more than I go to The Kateri Shrine. It’s beautiful in the summer. They have several masses on Saturday and Sunday and masses throughout the week.

THANKS!

Wait a second… I quoted the KJV and it didn’t say “saints”… “Saints” is found in one out of quite a few manuscripts and even leaving it in there would mean that he is talking to the people who are true believers… the saints.
All those who are saved are saints.

HOLY BIBLE
NRSV
CATHOLIC EDITION

" authorized by the National Conference of Catholic Bishops in the U.S.A. and by the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A. It has received the ecclesiastical approval of the Catholic Bishops of both  the United States and Canada. The undersigned, who prepared this edition, is a member of the Revised Standard Version Bible Translation Committee as well as an active member and past president of the Catholic Biblical Association of America.
     Roman Catholics are already familiar with the accuracy and elegance of the New Revised Standard Version,...

for it was produced by Roman Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, Protestant, and Jewish scholars."

- Preface to the New Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition

Peace be with you ! :slight_smile:

:blush: :slight_smile:
Oh, no, not scholar, I am a little one who believe in God,

You are kind, Frank :slight_smile:
May God bless you!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.