Catholics; what do you stand by? In a nut shell?

What are the basic beliefs of Catholics?

For an example, tell me what a Catholic would have to loose faith in, in order to no longer be Catholic.

1 - The Holy Eucharist…ect

Number them for me, like the above please. Thank you! :smiley:

1. the Eucharist
  2. the Pope
  3. the Marian doctrines
  4. that the Church is guided by the Holy Spirit
  5. the Sacraments
  6. salvation by grace through faith working in love, but not ‘sola fide’
  7. the dogmas, like Purgatory

I’d say those are the basics?

also a Catholic would of course have to believe in God, the Trinity, Jesus, the Bible, etc… all the basic Christian beliefs. But I listed the ones that set us apart from other Christians, like Protestants.

What is “sola fide”???
What is the Marian doctrines?
I’ve never heard of them! :frowning:

sola fide is the belief that we are saved by faith alone, i.e. the mindest that once one accepts Jesus as one’s Lord and Saviour, one can basically act however they want in this life and still be saved. it is a popular belief among many protestant denominations. catholics believe that we are saved by faith AND works - basically u gotta pracrice what u preach. Marian doctrines are beliefs such as the Immaculate Conception, Assumption of Mary into Heaven, etc.

The foundation of Catholicism is that Jesus Christ is God Incarnate and God is the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. The Catholic Faith is in the Apostles’ and Nicene Creeds, and they are explained in the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

In a nutshell: (1) Christ

I copied the following from “e-Catholic 2000.” This creed is said at every Sunday Mass. It is Catholicism “in a nutshell.”

+Nicene Creed+

1. We believe in one God, the Father, the Almighty, maker of heaven and earth, of all that is seen and unseen.

2. We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ, the only Son of God, eternally begotten of the Father, God from God, Light from Light, true God from true God, begotten, not made, one in being with the Father. Through Him all things were made.

3. For us men and our salvation He came down from heaven: by the power of the Holy Spirit, He was born of the Virgin Mary , and became man.

4. For our sake He was crucified under Pontius Pilate; He suffered, died, and was buried.

5. On the third day He rose again in fulfillment of the scriptures: He ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father. He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead, and his kingdom will have no end.

6. We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life, who proceeds from the Father and the Son. With the Father and the Son, He is worshiped and glorified. He has spoken through the Prophets.

7. We believe in one, holy, catholic, and apostolic Church.

8. We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.

9. We look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come. Amen.

God bless you! :highprayer:

Absolute Truth!

Heresy! :smiley:

My Methodist Church is absolute truth! :wink:

If this was true then you wouldn’t mind hopping into any denomination this sunday? :stuck_out_tongue:

If every denomination (that claims the name of Christ as their authority) has the correct interpretation of the teachings of Christ, then there wouldn’t be a need for all these denominations, right? :slight_smile:

…I guess the truth is that we just don’t know! Other wise there wouldn’t be any denominations! But I don’t know what the big deal is, I would happily go into any church, any day of the week. Be it Baptist, Pentecostal, Methodist, United Methodist, Babtist, Roman Catholic, Anglican… or even Orthodox. Just so long as it isn’t Mormon! :smiley:

sola fide is the Protestant idea that we’re saved by faith alone. The Church teaches that we’re saved by grace alone, through faith, but this faith must include works or it’s dead. It’s exactly what it says in James 2 :slight_smile: the Protestant idea is kind of new… it’s not historical Christianity…

the Marian dogmas are:

Divine Motherhood
Perpetual Virginity
Immaculate Conception
Assumption

:slight_smile:

I think we do know :slight_smile:

denominations only started in the Reformation… before then, there weren’t any for 1500 years. The reason we have denominations is not because we don’t know where the truth is, but because some people like Martin Luther decided to separate from the Catholic Church due to their disagreement with it…

but if we look at the early Church, there were no denominations, there was only one Church, and that was the Catholic Church… and that’s how it was for hundreds of years before the Schism, in which the Orthodox denied the Papacy.

…not just by faith but also by works… Amen, we ain’t gonna recieve such glory without working for it! :D…:(:frowning:

…I just want him… philippians 3 : 8.

remember both the faith and works are under GRACE :wink:

You’d have to stop believing that God exists or at least that God is love and rewards those who seek Him and come to believe in and love Him.

At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love.
St. John of the Cross, Dichos 64.

Dear Jennifer

It’s important you learn well because if you stop believing anything officially taught by the church your whole faith begins to discintegrate. The catholic faith is all religious truth and take one teaching out and bit by bit the whole lot goes.They are all sort of inter related and no matter how small one is , lose it and all can go. If you have trouble acceping teachings its a good idea to see what authority the catholic church has to teachand if you understand this you can just trust the authority of the church when unsure.

God bless you dear friend:thumbsup::slight_smile:

John
P.S. You should read the catechism to know all your expected to beleive.

That’s a wrong approach - Catholicism can’t be reduced to an itemised list of “what man does”, except at the cost of no longer depending on God’s grace. But - that kind of religion is no different from any other; it becomes just another man-centred, because man-created, search for God. The sociology of Catholicism - how Catholics live in the world - must on no account be confused with its theological identity.

I don’t know how much I do believe - that doesn’t reverse my Confirmation: that is still and always a fact, and cannot be undone. However scabby and lousy and sick, a sheep is still a sheep - it does not evolve into a wolf.

There are ways and ways of being Catholic, just as there are layers in a lasagne. One can be Catholic in some ways, and anything but Catholic in others. So there can be agnostic Catholics, questioning Catholics, anti-Christian Catholics, atheist Catholics, Satanist Catholics, anti-doctrinal Catholics, heretical Catholics, but never ex-Catholics - not in this world; only in Hell. The only way to be entirely unrelated to the mystery of the Church is, by being cut out of Christ - and that degree of separation from Him is impossible in this life. Until we are “shut up in” our rejection of Him by death, after which comes judgement, that rejection is never quite complete, for He can always use the sin of rejection of Him as a way of overcoming that sin. Human sin can never exhaust or exceed God’s Mercy; that is no reason to presume on mercy, which is an incredibly unwise thing to do; it presumes that God is obliged to be merciful, and that we can promise to ourselves something that God Alone can give.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.