Catholics - when a protestant asks you why are you Catholic how do you like to answer?

How about when they’re strongly Anti-Catholic?

Hmm… because I love Jesus.

I love to ask them if they want to pray with me to Our Lady

Because I want to be as radically and intimately connected and in union with the Person of Jesus Christ. That can only be done through the direct means He Himself established.

Fullness of Truth.

Because the Catholic Church was the original Church, and everything else came after. They did not like the Truth, so they molded their beliefs to their likeness, and not to Jesus.

Then I would ask them why they aren’t Catholic.

“Thou art Peter and upon this rock I will build my Church, and the gates of Hell will not prevail against it”.

The Catholic Church was the one church founded by Christ.

“Because I believe it is true.” If they start to argue, I tell them, “I’m not going to argue about it. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them, but I will not debate you or argue with you.”

I don’t know any, so I’m not sure.

Who made you (“you” being the protestant) authority over what scripture says and its meaning… despite scripture itself actually saying it should not be personally interpreted as such?

Also why do you think there is absolutely nothing in scripture that indicates “once saved always saved”, nor did anyone “coach” anyone else into saying the sinners prayer for salvation like you see in many fundamentalist practices?

The Catholic church is the only place to find the fullness of Christian faith.

This is a good one. Though some fundamentalists will object to “Peter” being interpreted as “rock” - they will get into the whole Petros/Petra debate which I’m sure has been discussed here before.

So just a coincidence then about building on rock?

Then what about, “He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood hath everlasting life and I shall raise him up in the last day. For my flesh is meat indeed and my blood is drink indeed.”? And many of Jesus’ followers left him at this point, because this doctrine was too hard for them to take.

I offer to visit their church and invite them to mine!

I’m Catholic and nothing else because the Catholic Church is THE CHURCH founded by Jesus Christ Himself. We have the complete TRUTH: Sacred Tradition, Sacred Scripture and the Magisterium. The Catholic Church IS Biblical. They can quote Scripture and verse to me all day long but I can quote “some” back as well. When I don’t know the answer I tell them that and I will get back to them. Most don’t want to listen or be corrected or given the TRUTH. They want to believe what they believe.

Because it is the one true faith. And this is shown by an interrupted chain of witnesses to the Catholic faith from Apostolic times to this day. Then I would ask them, where are your witnesses?

The Eucharist!!!

I think this can be widened to include all people, rather then just protestants

The short of it, is I believe in it, not just a cultural Catholic. He can ask me why and what, and I would be glad to answer.

Because I was deeply involved in studying the Bible, and I was reading Church history in detail.

Edit to add: I also read a LOT of conversion stories, starting with the Hahns’ Rome Sweet Home.

D

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.