Catholics who personally Schism: SSPX, Orthodox, Anglican or Polish National Church

For Catholics who personally Schism to either follow SSPX, Orthodoxy, Anglican or the Polish National Church, what does the Catholic Church say about them.

To pray for our brothers and sisters, that they come back in communion, but love them where ever they are. I actually extend that to all who believe in the God of the Bible and Jesus Christ.

That they’re in schism and have a duty to place themselves back into communion with the Pope. However, the schism of Protestants (including Anglicans) is understood to be much, much more severe than those of the Orthodox, SSPX, and Polish Nationals.

The Catholic Church says I am a separated brother and my denomination is a means of salvation.

Salvation outside of visible unity with the Catholic Church is only possible if one is invincibly ignorant.

Odd to be discussing things on two separate threads simultaneously, isn’t it? :slight_smile:

Come Home to Rome :smiley:

Yes, please do!

There is nothing in scripture about being saved by ignorance. I am saved by Christ, not by ignorance,

I didn’t allege that you were saved by ignorance, only that salvation outside of the Church is possible under the condition that one is invincibly ignorant. Of course I believe that we are saved by Christ. :slight_smile:

I didn’t allege that one is saved by ignorance, only that salvation outside of the Church is possible solely under the condition that one is invincibly ignorant. Of course I believe that we are saved by Christ. :slight_smile:

Where did Christ say that he would save ignorant people?

You’re misunderstanding the concept of invincible ignorance, I’m afraid. What Catholics mean when they say “invincible ignorance” is that one, due to circumstances completely out of his control and by no fault of his own, is unaware of that Divine Truth is found in its entirety solely in the Catholic Church. As for where Christ says that Truth is necessary for salvation, see John 14:6.

I am a convert and I suppose a deconvert from your church.

Does that mean in my present state I am eternally condemned even though I confess Christ and all the doctrines of the creeds?

Schism is among the very gravest sins. Those Catholics who might leave to other churches/groups may or may not be guilty of schism. They may be invincibly ignorant. We can certainly hope so.

No, only God knows the state of your soul and the whether you are invincibly ignorant. But leaving the Church sure does put one’s soul in danger.

And, no, you don’t confess that the Church is One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic as the Nicene Creed does. Your definition of the Church is far from One in doctrine, and it has no Apostolic pedigree.

My fervent hope is that He does otherwise I am in deep trouble.

That is a discussion between you and the Lord, either now or after. It is not for us to judge. Just have your arguments well worked out. Palm cards may be useful.
All jokes aside, I rely solely on His mercy nowadays not on my knowledge founded entirely on my pride.

No, only God knows the state of your soul and the whether you are invincibly ignorant. But leaving the Church sure does put one’s soul in danger.

How so?

And, no, you don’t confess that the Church is One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic as the Nicene Creed does. Your definition of the Church is far from One in doctrine, and it has no Apostolic pedigree.

I confess the Nicene or apostles creed every Sunday. I confess the one holy catholic and apostolic church as the creed states.

As for apostolic pedigree, we teach what the apostles taught therefore we have a so called apostolic pedigree. We are unconcerned with endless genealogies as Paul advises.

I think you know what I meant. I mean ignorance as a condition of salvation.

Because the Church is the only place where the fullness of God’s Truth is found, and Truth is necessary for salvation (Jn 14:6).

I confess the Nicene or apostles creed every Sunday. I confess the one holy catholic and apostolic church as the creed states.

I know that you recite it; I meant that you don’t mean it the way the Nicene Fathers did.

As for apostolic pedigree, we teach what the apostles taught therefore we have a so called apostolic pedigree. We are unconcerned with endless genealogies as Paul advises.

I’m afraid that’s an unorthodox understanding of apostolic succession.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.