Catholics Worship Mary?

PNRC insists that Catholics worship Mary and lists a number of quotes from Catholic documents that allegedly prove this. I have a number of quotes myself, but they have nothing to do with Mary. It do this to prove a point.

Genesis 2:2 (KJV)

“And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work.”

I guess God gets tired and needs a vacation like the rest of us.

Psalm 109: 9-10 (KJV)
“Let his children be fatherless, and his wife a widow.”

The perfect psalm to use when praying for your enemy.

Psalm 138:1
"I will praise thee with my whole heart: before the gods wil I sing praise unto thee."

You mean to tell me that the Mormons are right? There is more than one God?

Exodus 32:14 (KJV)
“And the Lord repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people.”

Jonah 3:10 (KJV)
"… and God repented of the evil that he had said he would do unto them; and he did it not."

God repenting of evil? Reading this makes me feel a lot better when I go to Confession.

Mark 10:18

"And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? There is none good but one, that is, God?

I guess Jesus is neither good nor God. What does that make him then?

Mathew 21:22

“And whatever things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive.”

Of course! We all know that we always get our prayers answered.

Luke 14:26

“If any man come to me, and hate not father and mother and wife and children … he cannot be my disciple.”

That’s money I’ll save on Christmas gifts.

Luke 14:10 (KJV)

“… Friend, go up higher: then thou shalt have WORSHIP in the presence of them that sit at meat with thee.”

Revelations 3:9

… Behold, I (Jesus) will make them come an worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee."

Human beings receiving worship? And I thought only Catholics did that.

The point of all this is that a text out of context is a pretext. A text must be interpreted and understood within its linguistic, literary, historical, and theological context. “Worship”, for example, was the old English equivalent of “honor” or “reverence.” It did not have the same meaning back in the days of King James that it does now. PNRC quotes on Mary are all taken out of context and appear to say things they don’t really mean. Just like the Bible verses I quoted above.

God Bless

Please feel free to comment or challenge.

God Bless

You have made some excellent points…taken out of context the Holy Scriptures can, and have been, used to prove and justify all sorts of wrong thinking and worse actions.

I know that our separated Christian brothers and sisters are sincere lovers of Our Lord and Savior. It is often frustrating, and great tests of Catholic Christian charity, to try and dialogue with them in love. I always try and remember that we must all start with the idea that we love and adore the same Lord, and hopefully, through proper education, we can teach the Truth and truths of our wonderful Faith!

It doesn’t surprise me, but it does bother me, that people like PNRC feel free to use any document they come across as a proof-text for their presumptions by ripping quotes out of context of both the larger text and the times in which they were written. If they are so bold as to do it with Scripture, why should we expect them to hold back on Catholic documents, the Church Fathers, and the writings of Catholic saints, which they neither understand nor care to understand but only scan for any sentence or passage they think they can use to attack the Church? It is disingenuous at the least and bearing false witness against one’s neighbor at the worst, but in any case it is poor scholarship and unworthy of serious consideration by those seeking the truth.

Coming from a fundametalist background I do understand where he is coming from, not to say that he is right. What is written is what is says. They usually forget to take into consideration what the author really meant. I know it annoys us catholics to hear this over and over again, but we cannot give up on them. The moment we do is the moment that we fail our calling, and that is to show them the truth.

See THIS!

PNRC’s source is a COMPLETE FABRICATION.

CM–

YOU ROCK!!!

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

The fact is that the site itself is not as bad as PNRC’s composit “quote” which is a mess and as posted is just so much anti-Catholic rhetorical drivel.

If people will JUST check the sources and READ the context they won’t get so bent outta shape at allegations that make the church look like some idolatrous pack of idiots.

For instance: The quote from St Alphonse Ligouri is a quote of his from another saint and if ya read the whole thing you discover that it’s a far cry from advocating the worship of the Blessed Virgin.

It is dishonest to concoct such things about anyone…and to misrepresent the teaching of any Christian sect.
Pax vobiscum,

I would like to thank Church Militant’s work in exposing the baseless claims of PNRC

What’s a pnrc?

[quote=Church Militant]The fact is that the site itself is not as bad as PNRC’s composit “quote” which is a mess and as posted is just so much anti-Catholic rhetorical drivel.

If people will JUST check the sources and READ the context they won’t get so bent outta shape at allegations that make the church look like some idolatrous pack of idiots.

For instance: The quote from St Alphonse Ligouri is a quote of his from another saint and if ya read the whole thing you discover that it’s a far cry from advocating the worship of the Blessed Virgin.

It is dishonest to concoct such things about anyone…and to misrepresent the teaching of any Christian sect.
Pax vobiscum,
[/quote]

I almost see where PNRC is coming from (I think I might be off on his reasoning but, I have been wrong about people before) at face value it does look bad (at least it did to me which is why I asked about it once) and not a lot of people are jumping out of their seats to go cheack half a million references that don’t have page # refrences at the exciting and ever so wonderful library and its Mold and dust that is proboly older than most World War II verterens (most of the quotes were from websites if I remeber correctly) of rather lenghty Papal letters. I am not justifying I agree with the catholic church on its CONDEMNATION of marian worship but, just saying it is hard to find people willing to look for five words in a fifty page document.

Just wondering, does anyone know where I can get a lot of something to prove to people like PNRC that we don’t? It really strikes a nearve when people do that (on perpose or mislead) and I would like to be able to pile it on them so they will either gain some scince or at least shut up. I am going to google around and will come back and post anything I find if someone else would like to do the same (I doubt that Mr. PNRC and his source are the only ones out their that think this)but, any help would be nice thanks.

[quote=Montie Claunch]I almost see where PNRC is coming from (I think I might be off on his reasoning but, I have been wrong about people before) at face value it does look bad (at least it did to me which is why I asked about it once) and not a lot of people are jumping out of their seats to go cheack half a million references that don’t have page # refrences at the exciting and ever so wonderful library and its Mold and dust that is proboly older than most World War II verterens (most of the quotes were from websites if I remeber correctly) of rather lenghty Papal letters. I am not justifying I agree with the catholic church on its CONDEMNATION of marian worship but, just saying it is hard to find people willing to look for five words in a fifty page document.
[/quote]

Hi Montie!
That’s why Windows has an “Edit” feature up top on the left. Click that…then scroll down and click on “Find in this page…” then you’ll see a search engine box show up at the bottom of the window…just type in the phrase you need to find (or in this case I simply copied and pasted it there.) and then click find and it will highlight the first occurrence of the phrase…look it over and then click find next and it will go to the next in that document until it gets to the end. (The easy way to do this is to simply hit Ctrl F). That’s how I discovered what I suspected from the outset…that these were not taken in context and that the poster had used bits of each official document to create something indicting that does not really exist and is not supported either by Church teaching or by the documents that the the site that he linked quotes from.
Context Is Everything!** Out of context quotes from any source can make people think something is true that is not. That’s dishonest and misleading.

I have found that the Catholic Church can answer (and has answered) every question posed to her, and if we are willing to do just a little digging with a bit of common sense, we can offer those answers as well. Here’s a link to some articles right here on CA that will do what you need.Mary & the Saints. Always check The CA Library first when you begin research.
Pax tecum,

Thanks. I will go the tedeousness and do just that. Maybe, just maybe, we can get PNRC to listen. Thanks a million.

Why does the Church allow this kind of slander? We shouldn’t allow this.

Just wondering, does anyone know where I can get a lot of something to prove to people like PNRC that we don’t?

I highly recommend “True Devotion to Mary” by St. Louis De Montfort:
ewtn.com/library/Montfort/TRUEDEVO.HTM

If you get a hard copy avoid the Tan edition. This website might have a better translation (email them first though to make sure they’re not selling the Tan edition):
montfortmissionaries.com/publications/index.phtml?orderid=fdd7ba8614d9c802d8969478b4ab3c34

** Context Is Everything!** Out of context quotes from any source can make people think something is true that is not. That’s dishonest and misleading.

This is very true–finest example of this:

Psalm 13, Verse 1, Clause 4

“There is no God.”

-ACEGC

To Mark a

PNRC is the screen name of a person who posted a thread claiming that Catholics worshipped Mary. He listed a seried of out of context quotes that allegedly proved this.

God Bless

Some Catholics have a habit of Pilling on when it comes to The Theotokos ( Mother of God ) .Which at imes confuses None-catholics.
Marianist extremists show up in the most unexpected places like on EWTN. A balanced, orthodox view of our lady is always the way to go.

One argument, too, i often hear is misuse of the word “worship”. The meaning of this word in our time and faith is strictly for the honor given God. However, in days of old, it had a much broader connotation. A remaining vestige of this is in England where they still call their judges “Your Worship” as a title of respect. Obviously they don’t literally worship these mere mortals. I read a quote from Erasmus that referred to worship of Mary that initially confused me until i looked into it further. :slight_smile:

Isn’t there a Catholic prayer that includes the words “…Queen of Heaven, we worship thee with all our hearts…”? I heard someone reading such a prayer from a Catholic prayer book. What can you tell me about this?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.