CatholicVote intentionally ignoring Eastern Catholics?

There’s a list at CatholicVote of all the US bishops who’ve spoken against the HHS mandate being maintained by the AmericanPapist Thomas Peters. He says at the bottom of the list “There are 195 dioceses in the U.S. So over __% of U.S. Bishops who are the head of a diocese have spoken out so far.”

A number of Eastern Catholics commented on the article with their bishops’ names, as the author asked people to do if their bishop wasn’t listed but did speak out. The author is responding to others and actively adding bishops from comments, but he’s ignored every Eastern Catholic.

I assumed oversight and goodwill, so I sent him a message on G+. He didn’t respond, so I assumed he’s not active on G+ and I went where I know he’s active and responded to a Tweet. No response. I commented in the article again, sent another G+ message, and sent another tweet, but all are ignored without response, as were the messages from fellow Eastern Catholics.

I shared my frustration and an Eastern Catholic friend said she had a similar experience with the AmericanPapist Thomas Peters a couple years ago with him intentionally leaving out Eastern Catholics and refusing to respond to her and she’s not followed anything he’s done since.

I called CatholicVote and the lady wanted to know if the Eastern Catholic bishops were included in the 195 bishops he’s listing. It made sense that they had to be if the military ordinariate was included, but I went to the USCCB website and counted all the dioceses.

usccb.org/about/bishops-and-dioceses/all-dioceses.cfm

My counting might be off, but I came up with 197. Either way, the Eastern Catholics have to be included among his 195 count. And yet he’s refusing to publish American Catholic bishops’ support on an American Catholic website about an American political issue even when he specifically included them in the count of potential respondents. It is false, misleading, and undermines his own cause. But CatholicVote confirmed that he intended to only list Roman Catholic bishops, making it appear his silence on the east was intentional shunning.

The lady at CatholicVote kindly told me that after talking to her, he’ll now include Eastern Catholic bishops on the enumerated list. He’s added more Roman Catholics, some 20 minutes after they are suggested, but he still hasn’t responded to the Eastern Catholics or included them on the list.

After I posted the above, he updated his page with special rules for Eastern Catholics, many of whom have no web presence at all. :rolleyes:

This new rule of his is 1) offensive for singling out Eastern Catholics when they’re included in the 195 (can you imagine it saying that Black Catholic bishops need to do something different?) and 2) is intentionally more restrictive than most Eastern Catholics can comply with.

It’s a way of keeping Eastern Catholic bishops off the list.

Is your bishop not on this list? Please check with your diocese to see if a statement has been made by your bishop, and if not, respectfully ask him to do so!

NOTE: If you would like a statement by an Eastern Rite bishop to be included please send me the link/document or post it in the comments! Thank you.

Remind the person that the Eastern Bishops are members of the Bishops’ Conference

I did! And even included the list for him from the USCCB website. His response was to publicly post a restrictive rule that only applies to Eastern Catholics. For Roman Catholics, he accepts their word and says. “Also – links are most helpful.” But only Eastern Catholics are required to provide an online statement.

And someone listed auxiliary bishops and he responded to that person to say he isn’t including auxiliary bishops, only heads of dioceses. He refuses to respond to Eastern Catholics.

I wonder what the dude’s problem is with Eastern Catholics :shrug:

Prayers for your efforts! :byzsoc:

Bishop John Kudrick has been added to the list. Tom Peters, like most Roman Catholics, simply thinks of Eastern Catholics as “Roman Catholics of the Eastern Rite.” He probably isn’t even fully aware that we have our own dioceses, eparchies, etc.

I’ve met Tom and I know the kind of people he hangs out with (I used to live with a couple of his friends and we actually have some mutual friends). Most of them are either unaware of the existence of Eastern Catholics, or they don’t even think that Eastern Catholics are really Catholic. At best they believe that Eastern Catholicism is a concession allowed by the Pope until the Eastern Catholics man-up and become Roman. It’s pure ignorance. They get so caught up in their Roman world that they don’t know the Catholic tradition is so much bigger than that. :mad:

If that were the case, he would have included us without the extra battles or rules.

I’ve met Tom and I know the kind of people he hangs out with (I used to live with a couple of his friends and we actually have some mutual friends). Most of them are either unaware of the existence of Eastern Catholics, or they don’t even think that Eastern Catholics are really Catholic. At best they believe that Eastern Catholicism is a concession allowed by the Pope until the Eastern Catholics man-up and become Roman. It’s pure ignorance. They get so caught up in their Roman world that they don’t know the Catholic tradition is so much bigger than that. :mad:

Sadly, I think this is more indicative of his position when combined with what else we know.

Bp. John Kudrick is now on the list! Someone jumped through enough hoops to show that he was sufficiently Catholic. He still hasn’t responded to me or included Bp. Richard Stephen who has been a very vocal political advocate for life.

This is why I simply haven’t followed Tom’s blog. I read a few posts and noticed the extreme Roman triumphalism (hence the title of the blog “American Papist”). Such triumphalism always ruffles my feathers, whether it comes from Romans, Eastern Catholics, Orthodox, or whoever.

wow, some of you folks really have the knives out for me!

I have no idea who “Phillip Rolfes” is. If he thinks I’m somehow “Anti-Eastern Rite” he clearly doesn’t know me. I attended Holy Angles Byzantine Catholic Church in San Diego for part of my childhood and loved it. I’ve worked closely with Eastern Rite bishops in defense of marriage and religious liberty. I could go on, but I’m not here to counter unfounded accusations.

As for not including the statements of Eastern Rite bishops: I’ve done my best to include every statement anyone has sent me. That’s a sum total of one right now (#110).

Please understand that keeping an updated list of 100+ bishops is very time consuming. Would that this were my full-time job. It isn’t.

So here’s a deal: every Eastern Rite bishop statement available online that anyone posts on this thread I’ll include on the list. If you have a copy offline, scan and send it to my email (thomas@catholicvote.org). Sound fair?

I actually included that second notice about Eastern Rite bishops because I WANT to include them but people so far have just been giving me vague pointers, not real links and document scans like your Roman Catholic brothers and sisters have been doing.

Instead of complaining about a perceived “double-standard”, help me in this common task! Considering I’m fighting for religious liberty for all Catholics, whatever their Rite, I expect more understanding and charity from the folks on this thread. Thank you.

Grace & Peace.

I am happy that you finally responded after so many messages and two phone calls to CatholicVote in which they said you were only going to include Roman Catholics.

I’m frustrated that it took so much trouble.

I also encourage you to accept the word of an Eastern Catholic, especially if the person is trustworthy like a priest, in saying a hard letter was sent without requiring the text be online.

my email is thomas@catholicvote.org. it’s on the sidebar prominently. other of your Eastern Rite friends took the trouble of emailing me, which is how results happen. Send me an email and we’ll work this out. Thanks.

You had to receive that many messages before you’d respond?

I don’t know what more you need, but I will email you this evening when I return.

Yes, it does! Thank you and God bless you. :byzsoc:

Tom, we’ve only met once in Ann Arbor, MI., unless you’re not the Tom Peters I met. I didn’t mean to imply that you are anti-Eastern Churches. I apologize.

Phillip - I appreciate your apology. You made a huge and unfair leap about my personal beliefs and attitudes. Never a good habit to be in. Silence on a subject does not imply animus. Would that I had more time to sing the praises of the Eastern Rites. Thank you.

You are right. Again, I apologize. :blush:

I put the text of Bishop Gerald’s (Eparchy of Phoenix) in the comments. It does not appear to be posted online at the Eparchy’s website.

You typed it out letter by letter? Fr. Michael tweeted him about it earlier, too. He didn’t respond to him, either.

This is too high a burden for faithful to meet for a web list.

I cut and pasted from our parish bulletin.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.