cat's ashes

I have the ashes of my daughter’s cat in a small urn. The cat was euthanized many years ago and I got my daughter’s okay to bury them. Is it proper to bury the cat’s ashes in a backyard with or without the urn? I know this is a weird question but I do appreciate any advice. Thank you.

Not sure about animals, but I know a lot of people who are cremated are then buried in a small plot in their urn - my aunty for example. Keeps the ashes together, which may appeal more than spreading them somewhere.

I have had a couple of my kitties cremated and their ashes come back to me in an urn. I bury the entire thing, urn and all.

There are no Church rubrics governing the disposition of animals at the end of life; do as you see fit.

ICXC NIKA

There may very well be legal restrictions, some USA jurisdictions prohibit such acts… simple call to the city attorney’s office will give you the details, if any… then again, if you don’t know, don’t ask, and don’t tell :slight_smile:

I know this because I lived in a small town where this was prohibited by both village and county ordinance. Ran across a small pet urn in the garden while the village-man was there fixing the run-off ditch (some drunk went off the road, found the bar-ditch all muddy and soft - thankfully, or he would have found my house instead!) ANYWAY, his comment was along the lines that he wondered what the former owners had done with their dog. They were in Florida and wouldn’t pay to have it shipped to them… I had to pay a hazmat fee to dispose of the urn+ashes and that wasn’t cheap either! So please, check first.

Legally you should check with your local authority. Most places this would not be a problem.

Theologically it is a non issue.

It’s a cat.

I have always just turned in my cats’ bodies over to the vet who does the cremation. Instead of ashes, I find the best picture I have of them and frame that somewhere in the house.

Actually, it would be my mom’s backyard, where my birds and mom’s cat are buried.
I’ll just bury with the urn.
thanks everyone.

You probably had to pay a hazmat fee (and the practice is probably prohibited) because no one could attest to the actual contents of these urns when they are turned up later. The ashes of a cremated animal do not pose any health or environmental risk, but a cache of what “looks like” ashes but is of unknown origin could be anything and has to be disposed of as if it might be anything, at someone’s expense.

You might want to bury just the ashes, and turn them well into the earth, with the clean and empty urn as a marker. Scattering is not OK for human remains, but it is acceptable for the burial of the remains of an animal.

What is not recognizable as anything that could possibly be dangerous will never have to be treated as something that *might be *dangerous later on down the line. IOW, spare others the burden of erring on the side of caution.

I did not even think about that. You are right. 100 years down the road who knows what snot nosed little kid could be digging around. Better to scatter than to have some young Indiana Jones think he has found the lost remains of Nurhachi.

Could possible cause scandal.

The only reason I can imagine that an urn full of animal ashes would have to be disposed of as a hazardous material is if the ashes had become an unknown material instead of unrecognizably blending into their surroundings.

Unknown substances are the worst, from a disposal standpoint, and hence the most expensive. It isn’t even the scandal, but the bureaucratic rules binding whatever official is called in. It doesn’t have to be 100 years, either. All it has to be is some time after you move to Florida without leaving contact information. If you’re not around to attest to what is in the urn, then the worst must be assumed, “to be on the safe side.” It is better to avoid hassling innocent 3rd parties.

If a little Indiana Jones finds an empty urn in his back yard, his mom may let him keep it. If it has who-knows-what in it, she will probably at least make him throw it away…again, “to be on the safe side.” If you want to be really cool, don’t seal the empty urn with a seal that won’t immediately break (she may not let him open it), but instead put a note in a little jar inside. That would be seriously fun to find.

Technically animals have no soul so burying them in the backyard is not a problem or an issue unless your local city has a law or code against it… I 'm an animal lover myself. I’ve always had them around. When they are gone I miss them and consider them part of my family but when they pass on I let the vet deal with the remains.

Me too.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.