cats apparently is not shared by the Dominican Nuns of the Corpus Christi
Monastery in the Bronx, New York. The Mother Superior has ordered the
removal of seven feral cats who are almost all neutered, rabies vaccinated
and have lived on the monastery’s five acres for the past 8 years. In a
decision backed by the Archdiocese of NY, the plan is to first try to force
the cats to leave by withholding all food and starving them. Then if they
don’t go on their own, the resident Sisters will trap them and hand them
over to the city. Shelter workers would be forced to euthanize the cats
because they are feral and unadoptable and have nowhere else to be placed.

The Vicar of the Religious Office for the Archdiocese, Sister Helen C.,
stated, “my compassion does not extend to these animals” and “they will be
removed eventually, one way or another.”

“The plan is not only cruel for depriving these cats of their long-time
home and causing their suffering and likely deaths, it is ineffective feral
cat population control,” said Bryan Kortis, Executive Director of
Neighborhood Cats, a leading feral cat organization and a member of the
Mayor’s Alliance for NYC’s Animals. “Maintaining neutered feral colonies,
using a method known as Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR), is the only proven way to
reduce feral numbers in the long term. Otherwise, new unneutered cats will
simply replace the ones removed and the cycle of suffering and killing will
go on indefinitely.”

Over the past eight years, at their own expense, volunteers have removed
nine cats from the grounds of the monastery and placed them in homes. The
cats too wild to be adopted were neutered and returned, stopping their
reproduction, and were then fed by the nuns. Now, however, the nuns and the
Archdiocese refuse to even meet with animal advocates to discuss the
situation.

To protest this heartless and ill-guided assault on the cats, please
contact the Corpus Christi Monastery and the Archdiocese of NY by phone,
email or fax (see below.) Let them know we expect more from our religious
leaders than pointless cruelty towards innocent animals:

Corpus Christi Monastery
phone: 718-328-6996
fax: 718-328-1974
email: nunsop.bronx2@verizon.net

Archdiocese of NY
phone: 212-371-1000 (ask for Public Relations or the Vicar of the
Religious Office)
fax: 212-826-6020
email: contactus@archny.org

Act now! The cats have not been fed for five days and counting!!

From www.nunsopbronx.homestead.com:
“The DOMINICAN NUNS of Corpus Christi Monastery, Bronx, New York, are a
monastic community dedicated to a life of prayer and penance for the
preaching mission of the Dominican Order and for the salvation of souls.”

For more on Trap-Neuter-Return: www.neighborhoodcats.org

Lets ask Saint Francis to intercede for them:nope: Why is she doing this?:frowning:

I’m not sure whether they are right or wrong. Why would they be required to feed these cats? How many should they feed? Seems like it could get out of control at some point.

The cats too wild to be adopted were neutered and returned, stopping their reproduction, and were then fed by the nuns. Now, however, the nuns and the Archdiocese refuse to even meet with animal advocates to discuss the situation.

Why don’t the animal advocates just take custody of the cats themselves?

This is ridiculous. The Sisters are not assaulting the cats.

…cats???

https://www.looneystore.com/images/sylpin.jpg

…skeet???

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2h5pb/cat-skeet.gif

…hmm…difference???

http://library.thinkquest.org/28599/images/clone_identical.gif

…i’m so gonna get clobbered for this…:smiley:

[quote=space ghost]…cats???

https://www.looneystore.com/images/sylpin.jpg

…skeet???

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2h5pb/cat-skeet.gif

…hmm…difference???

http://library.thinkquest.org/28599/images/clone_identical.gif

…i’m so gonna get clobbered for this…:smiley:
[/quote]

:eek: :eek: stop remember to be nice.
I don’t believe you would hurt an animal :wink:

Space Ghost is a big softee!!! he would hurt a fly!

and as for the cats… well lets pray to Saint Francis that they find good homes.

TarAshly

Jesus would never treat a cat in this way.

My PP has a cat named Ginger. His assistant does not like cats, but guess who tends to the cat when the PP is away?

It is well known that a cat can hunt. If there are field mice about the cats will not starve. They are quite capable of getting themselves a drink from any form of container that has liquid, including a glass :wink: and a swimming pool :D. Yep, all they have to do is reach down and copy the dog and bingo, they have access to a huge resource of water.

Unless the cats were living inside the house there is no reason to believe that they are actually starving. However, I believe that the nuns are wrong in taking that particular approach to the cats. Those cats are not doing any harm and they should be left alone to live out their days.

Maggie

[quote=TenHouseCats]Using a method known as Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR), is the only proven way to reduce feral numbers in the long term. Otherwise, new unneutered cats will simply replace the ones removed and the cycle of suffering and killing will go on indefinitely."

[/quote]

So they release the neutered ones as killing machines to keep the population of unneutered cats down? Wouldn’t it be more efficient to give the neutered ones an advantage, like sugical steel claw implants, to make the program work quicker? (or would that make their personal grooming… rather messy)

I love cats!!!

In sweet and sour sauce.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Okay you guys…I’m bringing out # 1 cat leader :smiley:

Neutered feral cats don’t become killing machines to kill unneutered cats – they simply live out their lives without reproducing, so the numbers go down as they pass on. If all the ferals are suddenly removed, new ones will move in to take their place.

I agree with the person who suggested just leaving them alone; they aren’t harming anyone. There’s no need for the sisters to feed them, on the other hand. If they don’t find their own food, they will move on to where there is food.

Incidentally, my own backyard is proof that feral cats and wild birds can coexist peacefully in the same space. The birds are only active during the day; the cats only come out at night. Cats and birds share the same space on my deck; I don’t even know if they are aware of each others’ presence.

Crazy Internet Junkie Society
****Carrier of the Angelic Sparkles Sprinkle Bag

This isn’t the water cooler, why is there so much spam.

At any rate, why don’t people just come and take them away? Surely there are people who want cats. It can be annoying to take care of stray cats because then every cat in the neighborhood comes along. Then you have mating season and cats sound like crying babys when that happens (at least the non-neutered ones).

I don’t know, there must be some more to this then just “oh those poor cats”. I think it’s silly people are spamming up the guestbook with multiple posts from the same people. They probably don’t even read the bloody guestbook anyways.

http://www.afghania.com/modules/My_eGallery/gallery/Fun/cat%20being%20gun%20down.jpg
:thumbsup:

[quote=Shinobu]At any rate, why don’t people just come and take them away? Surely there are people who want cats. It can be annoying to take care of stray cats because then every cat in the neighborhood comes along. Then you have mating season and cats sound like crying babys when that happens.
[/quote]

There are people who want cats, but feral cats don’t always make good pets – they are just too timid and unsocialized (when it comes to people). With the trap/neuter/release program, there is no more problem with mating season, because there is no more mating.

One good place for feral cats is barns – barn cats don’t have to be tame – I think there are some organizations that attempt to match groups of feral cats with barn-owners who could use them. It’s better than killing them.

Well if they could move them to barns, that would be good.

A thought just occured to me (probably stupid though) the article says -almost all- were neutered and vaccinated. Maybe West Nile became a problem as well, any cat owner knows well that cats drag dead animals to their “homes” or places where they are fed as an “offering” to the owners. Maybe they were dragging dead birds or something.

There must be more to this article then is stated. I’m sure they were becoming a burden in some way. If they were wild to begin with then it’s really not their responsibility.

Funny, my front yard is proof that cats and birds with nests do not coexist. It is furthermore proof that cat poo in my mulch and my dogs do not coexist (at least peacefully in my nose). I have very little use for cats that are not in houses. We don’t put up with dogs running loose, but somehow cats are ok. Really burns me, especially when they use my house for their operations. There are times I DO want to let the dogs out, one way or another the cats wouldn’t be back after that…

[quote=Shinobu]There must be more to this article then is stated. I’m sure they were becoming a burden in some way. If they were wild to begin with then it’s really not their responsibility.
[/quote]

Neither the nuns (nor anyone else) should ever feel obligated to feed feral cats.

[quote=yochumjy]Funny, my front yard is proof that cats and birds with nests do not coexist. It is furthermore proof that cat poo in my mulch and my dogs do not coexist (at least peacefully in my nose). I have very little use for cats that are not in houses. We don’t put up with dogs running loose, but somehow cats are ok. Really burns me, especially when they use my house for their operations. There are times I DO want to let the dogs out, one way or another the cats wouldn’t be back after that…
[/quote]

I believe in keeping pet cats indoors (and that’s where mine stay), but unfortunately, some people abandon their cats to a life outdoors, and some cats are born feral.

I have never seen cat poo in my mulch, or anywhere else (if it’s there, it’s buried, although I have seen plenty of skunk poo), and birds nest and raise their babies on my deck every year (if I’m lucky, I get to see the babies fledge) – the same deck where I feed wild cats, so I must be doing something right. :slight_smile:

We are talking about cats - right? I love cats, but I think this has been blown way out of proprtion.

Why should the nuns be obligated to feed them?

wrong, life expectancy of feral cats who are not fed by humans and protected from predators is 9 to 18 months.

the cats are doing harm, carrying disease, or being hosts for diseases spread from small animals they do hunt and kill, and vector for spread of disease.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.