Cave art: Etchings hailed as 'Iberia's most spectacular'

bbc.com/news/world-europe-37654544

**Cave art as much as 14,500 years old has been pronounced “the most spectacular and impressive” ever discovered on the Iberian peninsula.

About 50 etchings were found in the Basque town of Lekeitio.

They include horses, bison, goats and - in a radical departure from previously discovered Palaeolithic art in the Biscay province - two lions.**

The article continues at the link.

Beautiful.

I have heard of the cave art of Altamira. I wonder if the two locations are relatively close. I am not sure how old the Altamira cave painting are, but I believe they also depicted bison and perhaps horses.

Yes, this is quite close to Altamira. I’ve been to an exact replica of the Altamira cave in Spain (you cannot enter the original because even your breath can damage the paintings). There were lots of bison represented in the Altamira cave. There are also indeed two horses, as well as hand prints, one doe, and another animal that might be a wild boar (it’s not as well preserved). Of course, the other famous cave in the region is Lascaux, which is just over the border in France and has the most spectacular variety of cave paintings ever found.

Wow!

Oh I have never heard of Lascaux. I forgot about the handprints at Altamira. I lived in Spain for one year in the 70’s and went to school. We were required to take the History of Art and I think we started with the cave paintings of Altamira. Perhaps we learned of
Lascaux too and I just forgot.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.