CBS/Refinery29 Poll Reveals Women Reject Abortion, Feminism, the Media

CBS/Refinery29 Poll Reveals Women Reject Abortion, Feminism, the Media
Katie Yoder is Associate Culture Editor, the Joe and Betty Anderlik Fellow at Media Research Center

The majority of young millennial women reject unrestricted abortion, refuse a “feminist” identity, and indicate trust issues with the media – according to a poll by the media.

In anticipation of the upcoming midterm elections, CBS and Refinery29 teamed up for a poll concerning young American women’s voting trends and views on certain issues. They began publicizing it August 13. While some media reports of the findings focused more on the political aspects, such as the Trump Administration, the poll revealed much more. Namely, that many young women don’t fit the mold that the media and politicians often assume.

Abortion

The poll, conducted by YouGov, looked at women from the ages of 18 to 35 and found that only 28% want abortion “legal in all cases.” Other results included: 34% want abortion “legal in most cases,” 25% want abortion “illegal in most cases,” and 13% want abortion “illegal in all cases.”

In the end, that means 72% are likely in favor of some kind of abortion restriction.

Read more at: https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/culture/katie-yoder/2018/08/17/cbsrefinery29-poll-reveals-women-reject-abortion-feminism-media

I’m not sure if this is the right area for a pro-life thread but this was a good poll for the pro-life side and certainly from main-stream media outlets… so polls seem to say different things depending on how the question is asked. There was another about a month ago.

Some kind.
But 62% want abortion legal in most or all cases.
And 87% percent want abortion legal in at least some cases.

and found that only 28% want abortion “legal in all cases.”

Per the above, also, that stipulation of “if the mother’s life is in danger or if it is a pregnancy due to rape” catches a lot of people. I somewhat discard those conditions. Some ‘other’ churches even make exceptions to abortion. I don’t want to specifically reference any. I do think we know they exist. Clue, see what Mitt Romney’s position was on abortion in 2012 when he ran for President.

The bottomline seems to remain, a lot of people are against abortion in generally speaking terms.

The question is not being for abortion or not, but for or against legal access.
And the bottom line is that more are for its legality than against it.

If one is speaking in absolutes. It’s a struggle and a give-and-take battle.

It’s a bit of if one’s glass is half-full or half-empty.

As is said, don’t let the perfect be an enemy of the good.

62 percent wanting abortion legal in all or most cases doesn’t seem very positive.

:frowning:

I still say, the catch all is how some Christian Churches seem to allow abortion in the limited cases of incest, rape, endangerment to the life of the mother. I don’t think this can be stated strong enough, that a lot of people would allow exceptions in these cases and that may be how the survey was stated.

I would not allow the perfect to be the enemy of the good, of what is possible. As it stands now, abortion is largely unbridled in at least, a lot of the US. Any improvement is better than none-at-all.

I don’t see the improvement when states start providing free abortions, as one state is doing. At least on the Federal level the Hyde Amendment prohibits the govt funding of abortions. That goes away if states make that decision.

That’s a reasonable point. What if someone were to say to you, as reported recently at the “pro-life” websites that 8 or 9 states would immediately ban abortion? It is already on their laws, I even read something like that about Michigan. And wow, if one thinks we have seen litigation, it seems possible, we could see much more of it.

This wasn’t the article I was looking for but it looks like they are talking about it.

States with laws still on the books that would ban abortion

Associated Press

by Associated Press

Published: Thu, July 12, 2018 2:05 PM Updated: Thu, July 12, 2018 2:06 PM

President Donald Trump’s appointment of Judge Brett Kavanaugh to the U.S. Supreme Court has raised the prospect that a new conservative court majority might consider overturning or weakening the 1973 Roe v. Wade ruling establishing a nationwide right to abortion.

Four states — Louisiana, Mississippi, North Dakota and South Dakota — already have laws designed to prohibit most abortions if the Roe ruling were overturned.

Several other states have laws adopted before the Roe ruling that ban many abortions and that have not been removed from their statutes. It’s unclear whether those laws automatically would take effect if the Roe precedent were overturned. Some state courts also have ruled that abortion rights are protected under their state’s constitution. <— End of excerpt

Blockquote

Also, another news story on this poll by CBS/Refinery 29:

CBS Poll Reveals Millenial Women Reject Abortion, Feminism, and the Media

National Katie Yoder Aug 20, 2018 | 9:09AM Washington, DC
http://www.lifenews.com/2018/08/20/cbs-poll-reveals-millenial-women-reject-abortion-feminism-the-media/

If one expects the American public to echo the Catholic Church’s teaching of “life begins at conception”, you may be disappointed. If one sees these struggles as a step at a time and trying, imo, for realistic gains, this could be a positive.

We honestly, do not know, how long it will hold out where the 2nd most populated state, Texas is also one of the most conservative “red” states. But would it be possible for a state like Texas to outlaw all or at least, most abortions? It seems possible. One must think about these matters as well.

I suppose looking at the number of states outlawing abortion is a good measure, to be sure. But it may not necessarily mean that fewer abortions are performed overall. Which is more important?

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.