Ccc 1868

Hello,

I wanted some clarification on about the exact meaning and full extension of this part of the CCC:

1868 Sin is a personal act. Moreover, we have a responsibility for the sins committed by others when we cooperate in them:

(…)
praising, or approving them;
(…)

Let’s say that, for example, someone approves a video of the Pope being hit or desecrating the Holy Host by someone totally unrelated. That person is excommunicated as well?

No. It could be sinful to approve of another’s sinful act, but would not incur excommunication.

Look at it as aiding and abetting…

Sorry. I didn’t understand you.
For what I know, someone that aids a mother abort her baby is excommunicated as well. This is what you mean?

EDIT: You mean in the text of the CCC? Approval as in aiding, so completely different from my examples?

Sin is a personal act. Moreover, we have a responsibility for the sins committed by others when we cooperate in them: - by participating directly and voluntarily in them;
** - by ordering, advising, praising, or approving them; *

• by not disclosing or not hindering them when we have an obligation to do so; *
    • by protecting evil-doers.*
      Let’s use an example so often committed by voters.

One usually has a choice of choosing a pro life candidate, vs a pro choice (pro abortion) candidate in elections.

This usually/often/not always boils down between a pro abort Democrat, vs a pro life Republican.

Democrat and Republican voters often vote party line.

However, those who vote pro abort then, when they had the chance to vote pro life, are then guilty of all the abortions done with their vote.
Why?
As the Catechism points out, (emphasis mine)* - by ordering, advising, praising, or approving them; (by voting for pro abortion candidates)*

• by not disclosing or not hindering them when we have an obligation to do so; (by voting for pro abortion candidates)*
    • by protecting evil-doers. (by voting for pro abort candidates)

But that wouldn’t be different? Voters are making a direct action that enables a evil-doer. They’re helping them.

That’s exactly what I’m saying

It is not as straightforward as saying if a candidate is pro-abortion you cannot vote for them or that if both candidates are pro-abortion you cannot vote for either.

catholicnewsagency.com/news/what-does-the-catholic-church-say-about-voting-35338/

My example I used was simple.

[LIST]
*]One candidate was pro life
*]the other candidate was pro abortion
[/LIST]
I didn’t get into the issue of both candidates being pro abort.

Re:the article

"Forming Consciences discusses the idea of “intrinsically evil” actions, those that are “so deeply flawed that they are always opposed to the authentic good of persons. There are some things we must never do, as individuals or as a society, because they are always incompatible with love of God and neighbor,” it says. “They must always be rejected and opposed and must never be supported or condoned.” A prime example of an intrinsically evil action is the intentional taking of innocent human life, such as through abortion or euthanasia, "

When the issue is simple and clear, one can’t vote for a pro abort candidate. What often follows with a pro abort candidate, they are also on the wrong side of other major issues as well

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.