CCD testing in first grade... Agh!

As if I didn't have enough to be stressed out about, I just found out last night (via e-mail) that they are going to be testing her tonight in CCD on her prayers. The e-mail asked us to show up early for CCD tonight so she can be tested.

I hope she passes, but of course, I am nervous. I have no doubt she will get The Our Father, Hail Mary, and Glory Be (I say the Rosary every night and she hears those prayers and says them with me a lot), but I am nervous about the Guardian Angel Prayer. I taught it to her a while back, but it isn't one of our regular prayers. I wish she could substitute the Fatima Prayer for the Guardian Angle Prayer since she knows that one well too.

How much weight do they put on these things in first grade CCD anyway?

Be glad they are testing. Too many teachers do not.

[quote="mellowcalico, post:1, topic:240348"]
A

How much weight do they put on these things in first grade CCD anyway?

[/quote]

well it is kind of basic. We send the prayer sheet home with the parents and ask them to sign and return it when the child has learned the prayers. We expect that they will be taught in the home, and simply reinforced in CCD. Quite frankly, we don't have time for this, not if we are to prepare them for sacraments in a timely manner, but sadly at least half the children have no exposure to formal prayer at home, (and precious little at Mass, either).

The best way for children to learn the formal prayers is to pray.
If you approach this like a spelling lesson, and communicate anxiety over testing, your child will never learn to connect prayer with conversations with God, but will simply view it as another academic exercise.

They are actually verbally testing... it's my own fault if she doesn't pass the Guardian Angel Prayer. Like I said, I never actually practiced that one much with her. My approach was more, daily prayers and you will learn them.... no "practicing." But that was before I knew there was a test.

If I had more of a heads up on the testing, I would have "practiced" it with her this past week by adding it to our daily prayer routine.

Don't get me wrong, I made sure she learned it and all and we say it every now and then, but daily we concentrate on the Rosary and haven't said the Guardian Angel prayer in a while--but my 6-year-old daughter can pretty much say the Rosary on her own (expect for the mysteries--she needs my help on those) but I wish I stressed the Guardian Angel prayer more. :(

Why don’t you call the teacher or DRE and ask? Every parish is different but I can tell you how we do ours. We actually test at the beginning of 2nd grade for prayers based on the ones they were supposed to be practicing in first grade. This is to give the teacher a good idea of which kids were learning (anything) at home as they started their First Communion prep. Unfortunately, there are always quite a few who only “do” Catholicism for an hour a week - at CCD class. These kids naturally are going to need more effort on the teacher’s part to be prepared for FHC.

[quote="Corki, post:5, topic:240348"]
Why don't you call the teacher or DRE and ask?

[/quote]

I sent her an e-mail last night (she sent her e-mail last night asking us to show up early for CCD for prayer testing and I replied). I can't show up early... I barely make it to CCD on time as it is (it's always a big rush for me to get home from work, cook dinner and get my daughter out the door and drive to the Church). I still haven't heard back from her--but I don't think us not being able to be early will be a problem (I hope).

Heh, maybe the short notice was so parents "couldn't" practice. You know, make sure the kids really learned their prayers.

Once she gets started on the Guardian Angel prayer, she knows it. She just has a hard time starting it for some reason. So if she's allowed to be prompted with the first two or three words, she will be fine. Still, I am nervous.

Don't be nervous! What's the worst that could happen? I doubt she'll be ex-communicated for not knowing a prayer :D If she doesn't say it perfectly the world will go on.

I don't know that I would like being told the day before that my child had a "test" in CCD. Especially on knowing a prayer word for word. IMO God doesn't care so much if you flub a word or two, as long as the spirit of prayer and reverence are there.

Worry that she is learning the important stuff, and don't sweat the little stuff.

Catholic School here... but my boys were tested on their prayers in Kindergarten... Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory Be, Guardian Angel...

[quote="mommamia, post:7, topic:240348"]
Don't be nervous! What's the worst that could happen? I doubt she'll be ex-communicated for not knowing a prayer :D If she doesn't say it perfectly the world will go on.

[/quote]

Okay, this made me smile and laugh a bit... thanks :)

In small children they likely are looking for effort and commitment rather than rote memorization. Still the Our Father, one of the only prayers given to us in the Bible is vital to memorize.

I think its REALLY good that the church is finally stepping up to the plate and making sure kids know this. I know that in some places kids in confirmation cannot repeat the basic prayers.:eek:

I'm sure she will be fine. At this age, the teacher might even prompt her if she gets stuck. (The nuns did for us)

Okay, my fears were totally unfounded. She said all her prayers perfectly.

I think I just worry too much... sigh.

[quote="mellowcalico, post:12, topic:240348"]
Okay, my fears were totally unfounded. She said all her prayers perfectly.

I think I just worry too much... sigh.

[/quote]

:clapping::clapping:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.