Ccd

I’m a new Catholic and would not mind helping in my spare time with CCD classes, but like I said I’ve only been Catholic for 1 1/2 years. Would it be right for me to ask to help at our Parish or would they think I didn’t have enough Catholic learning? As in I haven’t been CAtholic long enough. I was raised in a Protestant church and do know a lot about scripture and feel I could really help when my work permits. Just curious. all replies appreciated :slight_smile:

Well welcome to the Church. I bet you know more about your faith at this time in your life than I did 5 years ago. I was born and raised Catholic, 4th – 12th grade went to a Catholic Middle and High School, the only difference between us is that I didn’t care about my faith nor want to be involved with it so it didn’t matter to me. I have learned more in the past 5 years in dealing with the youth group than I ever knew before. I would highly recommend volunteering for something in the teaching of the youth. They have so many great questions, don’t act like you know everything, and they can spot a fake, but just say “I don’t know but I will find out” and then find the answer. It is amazing how much you will learn while teaching. If I were you I would let your parish priest know that you would like to volunteer and I am sure he will assist you in finding the right spot for you. I think you would be great at teaching the older high school kids, because you have been out in the world and have experienced different things and decided to be Catholic. I have had many converts discuss their conversion with the youth group, every time it is amazing to me how much discussion ensues.

Peace,

David

My wife also was raised Catholic and went to Catholic school I have learned a lot from her and we have learned a lot together.

I have also been reading some of the early church father’s works on new advent.com and they are amazing , truly these guys were years ahead of their times. As a Portestant I was never taught anything of them, so all of this is just overwhelming.

Go for it! It’s great that you want to volunteer. When I taught CCD last year, I was a little apprehesive but the material that my DRE provided (Faith First) made all of the subject matter very easy to teach.

[quote=Celtic Son]My wife also was raised Catholic and went to Catholic school I have learned a lot from her and we have learned a lot together.
I have also been reading some of the early church father’s works on new advent.com and they are amazing , truly these guys were years ahead of their times. As a Portestant I was never taught anything of them, so all of this is just overwhelming.
[/quote]

I agree, there is always something else to read, it seems we are never finished understanding the faith. it is cool.
Peace,
David

Deja vu … I did the same think. I asked to be a CCD aid the year after I converted. The church needed a CCD instructor. OK, I guess, anything to serve the Lord. I was placed in the 5th grade. That’s the year (in our parish we cover ALL the sacraments that year).

WOW, I had was learning as I was teaching. Normally I was only one week a head of the class. But the Church gave me the materials and teaching outline. I learned more that year than anyother.

Go for it!

I’m also a convert and being a teacher turned stay-at-home mom, I really wanted to opportunity to be in a class again. It took a year of courage for me to finally say I wanted to teach RE. I was nervous about not knowing enough for the 4th graders, but as soon as I got the materials everything was fantastic (again - Faith First!). My kids weren’t even old enough to be in the program but there I was!

I know where I live we could always use more teachers, assistants, etc.! We have a ratio of about 1:5 :slight_smile: ! Great for getting to know the students and being able to water/plant the seeds of faith!

closed #8

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.