CCL home study course?

I just borrowed the “Art of Natural Family Planning” book from the library and like it very much so far. I notice that on the CCL website, this book costs around $20 while the home study course is $70.

If this book has self tests ect, what exactly does the home study course provide that would make the extra cost worth it? I know it provides charts and a thermometer, but that’s only about $15 worth of materials.

Malia

I think the $70 also includes a subscription to Family Foundation’s magazine which is around $29 when you renew. You also get free help if you need it (chart interpretations, etc).

Don’t know if that all adds up to $70, but it’s close.

Jennifer

Another NFP manual is now available at www.nfpandmore.org. This online “How To” NFP manual is free, short, and easy to understand. It covers the basics of systematic NFP and the Seven Standards of eco-breastfeeding in 84 pages. It can be downloaded free onto 3-hole paper. This home study program has been approved by the USCCB and is listed at their website. Couples can learn or teach from this manual.
Sheila Kippley, volunteer, NFP International

The section on ecological BF was great! That’s what we’re doing right now. Good to find some more info on it.

Hi Malia,
weren’t you using Billings?
AlbertaRose

**When we first started using NFP we used the sympto thermal method (from a book, not a class). Now that we’re postpartum and confused, we found a Billing’s instructor who has been working with us. But I just don’t feel comfortable with the mucous only method. maybe it’s just my personality, but I need more info and the ability to cross check. I find myself constantly second guessing myself in my observations and wondering if I made a mistake.

Malia**

I can sympathize with how confusing it all is when you’re just starting out with Billings.

Please call your teacher for follow-ups if it is seeming confusing! I’m sure that she would be able to help you along some more.

Good luck and God Bless
AlbertaRose

Malia,

I don’t know if you’ve ever been at the NFP forum at Delphi, but I’ve found it absolutely invaluable as far as learning more about NFP in general and Billings in particular.

Here’s the link in case you are interested:

forums.delphiforums.com/nfptalk/start

God Bless

AlbertaRose

The Home Study course is a substitute for a full CCL course. You get much more than just materials when you take the courses – a teaching couple works with you to make certain that you understand what is being taught. It is one thing to read about NFP, it is quite another to take a “class.” I highly recommend finding a class in your area and get the real deal – www.ccli.org – CCL is in all 50 states and in about 26 countries!.

CCL is simply the best NFP being taught today having just updated their offering to include the latest in science, theology and technology. They also have CyclePro – software to help you chart and interpret fertility.

Another home study program approved by the USCCB is the free online NFP manual, Natural Family Planning: The Complete Approach available at www.NFPandmore.org. This 150-page manual covers all signs of fertility, practice charts, the Seven Standards of eco-breastfeeding (God’s plan for spacing babies), and the research in a simple question-and-answer format. Free instruction, free charts, free counseling, and many nfp-related and supportive articles are available at this site.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.