CDC: 110 Million Americans Have STDs At Any Given Time

In the United States, nearly 20 million cases of new STD infections are reported each year, reports Live Science. Since infections can persist for a long time, and because some victims are not even aware they have a disease and can easily spread it to others.

Based on data from 2008, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the eight most common sexually transmitted diseases are: chlamydia, gonorrhea, hepatitis B virus (HBV), genital herpes, HIV, human papillomavirus (HPV), syphilis and trichomoniasis.

About 50.5 million current infections are in men while 59.5 million are in women, for a total of 110 million Americans with STDs at any given time.

Fifty percent of new infections occur in young people from ages 15-24 and gonorrhea is the most commonly reported STD in that age group.

Gonorrhea is the second most commonly reported STD in the United States.

The most commonly reported infection is chlamydia. But since many who are infected don’t show symptoms, the number could be far higher than the 1.4 million in 2012, a rate of 457 cases per 100,000 people.

atlanta.cbslocal.com/2014/10/06/cdc-110-million-americans-have-stds-at-any-given-time/

:eek: That’s more that one in three Americans, isn’t it? The Church’s teaching on sexual morality has never sounded more reasonable than it does right now!

No kidding. Doesn’t sound like condoms are doing the bang up job as suggested.

An a percentage of America’s population is either of an advanced age or a very young age. Then one can apply their personal perspective, do I know many people afflicted with an STD?

This is the kind of report as to why we often mistrust the CDC. It would be one thing to even make this more believable and say 110 million Americans have had an STD in their lifetime, another to say it is at any given time such as right now. As said above, this is probably more than a 3rd of the population.

Now that I think about this, perhaps the only thing that could swing such a high rate of disease is if some people get a lot of the diseases and perhaps more than one at a time.

It’s amazing that when you watch TV comedies and dramas, people are constantly sleeping with multiple partners, but none of these characters ever get STDs. Hollywood fantasyland I suppose.

That would be my question. Do these numbers perhaps count some people more than once for each STD that they have?

Honestly, I’ve never known someone in real life who personally divulged to me that they have an STD. But then, it isn’t necessarily something I’d expect people to broadcast.

Indeed. I’m trying to think of a movie or TV show where STDs were a featured storyline. I cannot recall any.

It’s a testament to how sexually addicted Americans are in light of the recent complete freak-out reaction people had to the Church or business owners not wanting to pay for contraception or like the Church promoting abstinence here or Africa, etc… It’s lie trying to pry the needle away from an addict.

The headline might be a good reason to mistrust mainstream news reporting on medical and scientific matters.

The CDC did not say that 110 million Americans, at any one time, are infected with a sexually transmitted disease. What the CDC said was that at any one time, there are 110 million STD infections. The difference is important since a person who has one STD may well have more than one.
cdc.gov/std/stats/STI-Estimates-Fact-Sheet-Feb-2013.pdf

Another consideration is that the study includes HPV, which is very widespread and incurable. HPV, by itself, accounts for 79 million cases.

Gonorrhea
Chlamydia
Syphilis
are all treated with antibiotics

The number of Americans with STDs escalates

Antibiotic use and resistance escalates

whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/docs/carb_national_strategy.pdf

The WH escalates its fight against antibiotic resistant drugs.

Something equates
Yet not

What is the imbalance?

Well, there’s the wonderful benefits of the Enlightenment and the sexual revolution for ya.

Once these diseases really start to complete their resistance to antibiotics, we just might see a pandemic of STDs becoming serious.

There’ll never be a pandemic of STDs. If STDs evolve to a point where sleeping around a bit could be lethal, either better condoms and stuff will be developed or maybe, in an very unlikely event, people might stop sleeping around for a few years until it’s safer again.

But for the foreseeable future, I doubt people will get any less sex-addicted.

I can’t see people stopping sleeping around even if there were more numerous STDs running around. HIV didn’t really change behavior. As was earlier noted, addicts won’t quit putting a needle into their arm, even though it kills them.

One must wonder if this includes the ‘cold sore’ variant of the herpes virus. I can’t imagine any other way to get to those numbers.

But keeping your pants on until the wedding night does indeed look pretty smart, eh?

It indeed is smart.

You’d be shocked how some peoplw view STDs though. I’ve heard them referenced as a “small price to pay” for sex with no strings. Or some people remark, “I’d rather have sex and have to deal with an STD than never having had sex in my life.” Or the comparison to never leaving your house because you can be harmed or killed going to the grocery store, etc. It was hard not to laugh inside my own head, as it was such a disgusting thought.

Yes, herpes simplex virus accounts for 24 million of the cases. If you add that to the 79 million human papilloma virus cases, it totals to 103 million. Those two incurable viruses account for about 94% of current sexually transmitted diseases.

All of the other STDs (gonorrhea, syphilis, chlamydia, HIV, hepatitis B, and trichomoniasis) account for only 6% of current infections. If the news article were simply about those six STDs, the total number would be 7 million, which is still a lot. However, it is far less attention-grabbing that 110 million

Good things come to those who wait.

And I suppose the reverse is also true :blush:

News to me that sleeping around could not be lethal.

aids.org/topics/aids-faqs/how-many-have-hiv-aids/

That does sound closer to what I would have expected.

That’s only part of the problem. These STDs can pass along their resistance to antibiotics to other diseases. So people that don’t engage in risky behavior may also suffer.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.