CDC chief on Ebola: We can’t shut the border

Tom Frieden, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, on Friday said restricting travel between the U.S. and West Africa would likely “backfire” and put Americans more at risk of contracting Ebola.

Appearing on MSNBC, Frieden was asked about potentially prohibiting air travel between the U.S. and West Africa, where the Ebola outbreak is most widespread. He said that such a restriction would likely be ineffective and would make it harder for health officials to root out the virus.

Read more: politico.com/story/2014/10/ebola-us-border-111581.html#ixzz3F6yT04LR

It sounds counter-intuitive but I’m certainly no expert.

But the point is, there may be some “experts”, those who know what they are talking about who would disagree with his point.

What is it really?

We can’t shut the border.

or

We won’t shut the border.

At this point, I suspect there might be already too much water over the dam to warrant a heavy hand in the matter.

If a large medical emergency erupts in US, there might then be no choice in the matter.

Money….it mostly has to do with money!

Given how our economy works, we can’t shut the border.

Given our economy, think about this.

I tried imagining myself as a young nurse at my local hospital ER.

If things got ‘hot’, I would simply walk off the job or take a leave of absence. With a husband and small children at home, why would I risk the life of my family?

When the air cleared I would go back to work. Nurse jobs are everywhere.

Job walk-offs related to health and healthcare are economic losses and even more.

I’m really surprised the market is doing so very well today.

I think you are misunderstanding what people are calling for.

What is reasonable is we do not allow any planes or boats in from West Africa or any country that doesn’t have a similar policy.

So, we would still maintain trade with all of our significant trading partners.

Such a step would not have any effect on ebola transmissions. Planes from all over the world often carry passengers taking a circuitous route to get to the US.

Let’s say a person is infected, hops a plane to London, but the time he gets to the US he’s contagious and symptomatic.

Or, on the other hand-proper screening on direct flights from Western Africa are accomplished, and given a miraculous display of competence by a hospital, the infected are detained and treated. (Granted, the US healthcare patchwork being as horrible as it is, competence is too much to expect)

I don’t believe Mr. Frieden. Politics, not health or science, is driving this decision.

CDC stands for Centers for Disease Control. But they appear to be neglecting the control part of their mission. The CDC refusing to set travel limits on people coming into America from these Ebola hot spots and Obama sending our troops to fight Ebola (common sense says at least some are likely to come back to the US infected with it) makes no sense unless they are deliberately trying to spread the disease epidemic to America. If this happens, the CDC will say that America was going to have an epidemic of Ebola anyway, and those who never question the government will agree.

How on earth does this make sense? Surely limiting the number of people arriving from those nations would limit our exposure, whereas letting them in willy-nilly would allow for a higher exposure.

The only scenario that I can imagine making a difference is that if they stopped travel from thise nations and even one person from there came over our border with Mexico, people might start waking up to the danger of a wide-open border with Mexico.

The Saudi kingdom refused visas to Muslims traveling from Sierra Leone, Guinea and Liberia-- the countries worst hit by Ebola— screened pilgrims arriving from West Africa, and asked all visitors to fill out medical screening cards that detail their travels over the past three weeks, the BBC reported.

foxnews.com/world/2014/10/03/saudi-health-officials-take-precautions-against-ebola-during-hajj-prilgrimage/

Saudi Arabia is refusing some entrants per above as this seems to be a time of pilgrimage to Mecca. I do see how it could present problems.

We were originally told it was a “slim chance ebola would strike in the USA”, well, this Thomas Duncan did catch it overseas, so we will watch this but I agree, it would seem to make sense to take serious measures.

Totally agree with this. The political issue is that closing the borders against Ebola would interfere with the agenda regarding leaving the borders open for Central American “refugees.”

Personally, I am afraid that ebola patients may lie on the forms like this guy did just so they can get to the United States where they can get better treatment. I hope that doesn’t happen though.

I might not be as smart as this guy, but I think his logic is preposterous. Here’s his proposition:

“Even if we tried to close the border, it wouldn’t work,” the top health official added. “People have a right to return. People transiting through could come in. And it would backfire, because by isolating these countries, it’ll make it harder to help them, it will spread more there and we’d be more likely to be exposed here.”

Now, if we instituted quarantine, people could still return. They would, indeed, pay a price in terms of delay for going to the hot zones, but they coudl still return.

Could people “transiting in” still come through? Well, yes, but only if no other country instituted prohibition or quarantine for people whose flights originate in the hot zones. Some already have done that, and one expects more will…other than the U.S. of course. Are we to become the next place from which more protective countries ban flights?

Backfire? It would only “backfire” if nobody did anything to help those in the hot zones. He is assuming nobody who could help would be allowed IN to the affected countries. Who is proposing that? Nobody I know of.

It truly amazes me how dedicated this government is to the proposition that the population does not deserve protection from much of anything.

Very good point.

Bingo!

You hit the nail on the head with your last paragraph. How true that is. I have not felt since Obama took office his administration has demonstrated they are the least bit interested in protecting us. This idiot directing the CDC just proves the point.

I also am worried about our 4, 000 troops being sent over there.

Bobby Jindal calls on Obama to restrict air travel to contain Ebola

nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2014/10/bobby_jindal_calls_for_restric.html

Gov. Bobby Jindal called on President Barack Obama to restrict air travel from Ebola-stricken countries to prevent the spread of the virus.

It’s a step Obama hasn’t taken, which Jindal criticized. Only the federal government has authority over airports and flights.

The doctor who has been protesting the CDC is named Mobley. His views are worth noting.

I think the day the President said there was a slim chance ebola would come to the USA was the same day, the man infected with the virus came to the USA. Just being honest and not wishing to criticize but the border crisis, Iraq/Syria and now this ebola problem seem to all have been handled incompetently.

Updated: Friday, October 3 2014, 11:52 PM EDT Rochester, N.Y. - Back from Liberia, John Oliphant said it’s no surprise the Ebola virus has spread like it has in West Africa. “I went and visited one clinic that only had one pair of rubber gloves that the whole staff had to share to care for patients.” An assistant professor at RIT’s physician assistant program, Oliphant went to Liberia to assess the country’s healthcare system, he was shocked at what he saw touring the different clinics and hospitals.

Read More at: 13wham.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/rit-professor-saw-ebola-crisis-first-hand-16348.shtml

1,200 people licensed to practice medicine in Liberia and so far 170 of them have died

Read More at: 13wham.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/rit-professor-saw-ebola-crisis-first-hand-16348.shtml

Oliphant offers a perspective that mainstream media is not.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.