CDC Releases Report on Sex Ed, Birth Control

**Maybe it’s because parents do not want to have their kids on BC. Duh? But of course mother goverment says we must. America - are you mad yet?- buffalo

CDC Releases Report on Sex Ed, Birth Control

WASHINGTON – U.S. teens are getting sex education, but most are not learning about birth control from their parents, new government data showed on Thursday.

And rates of infection with sexually transmitted diseases reflect this - the annual rate of AIDS diagnoses for boys aged 15 to 19 years has nearly doubled in the past 10 years, and rates of syphilis are also up.

The numbers show that U.S. youth need better sex education, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said.

more…

the annual rate of AIDS diagnoses for boys aged 15 to 19 years has nearly doubled in the past 10 years

So are they arresting the adult males who gave these boys AIDS? :mad:

They’re very clever how they list birth control and std prevention in separate paragraphs, so they can claim they never linked them, yet still lead people to believe that you can do both. Dear Abby had a column about a teen that got herpes and Abby did the same thing, making it look like there was protection for herpes with safe sex and birth control. There’s not. Condoms “might” help, is what the experts admit.

Ugh. Just another reason to send your child to a good Catholic school. :thumbsup:

You are assuming that adult males have given those boys AIDS. There isn’t anything in the article which suggests that, and the source data indicates that 69% of the boys aged 15–17 got the disease from their mother, at birth.
cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss5806a1.htm#tab18
(see table 19)

Here is the press release on which the article is likely based:
cdc.gov/media/pressrel/2009/r090716a.htm

That press release was based on data in this Morbidity and Mortality Week Report:
cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss5806a1.htm

…or a “good” public or “other-then-catholic” school… there are a few of those too, just as there a some good catholic schools with other issues too… “fair and balanced” please…

Thankyou for the links, I read thru the third one, and you are right that it said that the children 10-17 reported receiving the disease thru the mother.

But an interesting thing happens looking at the numbers. For age 18-20 years olds, the rate between male and female stays pretty equal up until 2001. Then the male rate increases over females rates. Correct me if I’m wrong, but it takes a while for the disease to be noticed? So the boys would have likely contracted the illness before age 18.

TABLE 32. Rates* of diagnosed acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) among persons aged 10–24 years, by age group and sex — HIV/AIDS Reporting System, United States, 1997–2006†
Age group (yrs)
Year 10–14 15–17 18–19 20–24
Male Female Male Female Male Female Male Female
1997 0.3 0.5 0.7 0.7 2.2 2.2 9.4 6.7
1998 0.3 0.4 0.7 0.8 1.7 2.1 8.2 6.3
1999 0.3 0.4 0.6 0.7 1.7 2.5 7.8 5.3
2000 0.3 0.5 0.9 1.0 2.0 2.1 7.9 5.9
2001 0.4 0.5 0.8 0.9 2.2 1.6 7.8 5.4
2002 0.4 0.4 0.9 1.1 2.7 2.1 8.4 5.3
2003 0.4 0.5 0.9 0.9 2.6 2.0 9.9 5.1
2004 0.4 0.4 1.0 0.9 3.0 2.0 10.4 4.9
2005 0.4 0.4 1.3 1.3 3.8 2.1 11.0 4.8
2006 0.3 0.5 1.4 0.8 4.1 2.0 11.0 4.6
SOURCE: Special tabulations for this report from CDC’s HIV/AIDS reporting system.

• Per 100,000 population.
    † Data as of June 30, 2007. Persons with AIDS cases resided in 50 states and U.S. territories at diagnosis. Data adjusted for reporting delay.

I found it curious that the info was summarized like this:

The primary transmission category for persons aged 10–17 years was perinatal (92.5% among males aged 10–14 years and 90.1% among females aged 10–14 years). Among persons aged 20–24 years, the primary transmission category was MSM for males (74.9%) and heterosexual sex for females (78.7%).

Why don’t they mention primary transmission method for 18-20 year-olds? It was just kind of skipped over. Although, earlier it had stated:

Among males of all age groups and racial/ethnic populations, the primary transmission category was men who have sex with men (MSM).

So how many teen males contracted the disease thru adult males? To me, it was fuzzed over in the report, but appears to be the reason for the increase in 18-20 year-old males, and possibly some older ones too.

Hmm, I suppose it is a bit buried, but the first link I provided (again, in Table #19) did mention that that among 18 and 19 year old guys, homosexual sex is responsible for 58% of AIDS.

I think you ask good questions. Determining the age of the person who gave someone HIV might be too detailed for the CDC to determine. It would involve detective work which is probably best handled by local health authorities, who are required to do partner notification when STDs are diagnosed. Still, I would hope that someone is gathering this local data into some kind of national profile.

This reminds me of the young woman posing as a minor at the abortion clinics claiming her boyfriend /sexual partner is a legal adult. The worker tries to get her to be quiet, because they don’t want to report statutory rape, as required by law.

So when these young men come down with AIDS or HIV, does everyone ignore the elephant in the room and never discuss the possible crime? If the young man is 18 when the disease is discovered, is there a statute of limitations that frees the adult violator from punishment?

Or do they consider a homosexual youth as not being innocent enough to be a victim of statutory rape? Or maybe just because he’s male? Or maybe there’s just no way to get him to testify against his sexual partner?

This made me laugh, in a grim and sardonic way.

My Catholic high school was awash with bored, unsupervised rich kids using drugs and drinking because they were bored. They dragged along the kids who would do anything to be popular. The sexual culture was wild, fueled by the substances. We even had a teacher try to steal a boyfriend from a senior girl! But even just what went on among the kids at that school… and I was pretty unpopular, so think about the stuff I didn’t hear about. As hard as it was at the time, I have become really grateful I was unpopular there.

The girls at our school got a reputation around town as “coke whores.” Yup, that means what it sounds like. They’ll trade sex for cocaine.

The sexual education kids got in that school had nothing to do with the Catholic Church. The health teacher did try to teach Billings Method, which came off as a joke in such a cynical, jaded atmosphere. My favorite personal experience was when someone I thought was my friend started a rumor that I had entertained three male members of my sports team at one time on the pull-out in my couch. While humiliating for me, it wasn’t a particularly racy rumor.

I cringe when I see people thinking that sending their kids to Catholic school will protect them from corruption. I suppose if you can find that elusive “good” one… but IME while most Catholic schools do have characteristics that set them apart from other schools, they suffer from their own innate set of problems.

That explains a lot…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.