CDC releases results of in-depth study of gay adults

This is from:
news.yahoo.com/health-gay-straight-people-compared-1st-national-survey-073924341.html

The focus of the study is primarily upon health differences (not surprising, it’s a CDC study), though the tagline picked up on drudge is “only 3% of Americans are gay, lesbian or bisexual”. That calculates to between 1,100 and 1,200 of the study’s ~35,000 participants identified an orientation other than straight.

The study found that GLB persons are more likely to smoke, drink heavily and experience psychological stress. That’s sad but not surprising given that GLB persons often face backlash and social scrutiny, although I had hoped the gap would shrink considering the efforts being made to recognize gay rights and call out bullying on the basis of orientation.

Of course, all bullying deserves being called out - and every bully deserves a bloody nose to know how it feels.

The primary epidemiological interests are in the incidence of poor health choices (smoking, drinking) and health care access. This last one very much surprised me - health insurance is now more available than ever. Does this speak to affordability or that a perception remains that health care is inaccessible?

Thoughts?

This is mostly due to the income disparity. Gays and lesbians are, on average, poorer and less educated than the general population, mostly due to the homelessness rate from being thrown out of the house at an early age. This leads to a lower likelihood of being in a job that provides health insurance and lower income to purchase health insurance on the side.

Sounds like the same dilemma facing the incarcerated population. It seems broad. Poor health choices (smoking, drinking) and health care access [all the same]. Health care access not really a contingent but a contributing factor I would venture to suggest with the poor.

The linked article suggests that CDC found the higher level of substance abuse was independent of race or economic status. To me, that means that a poor, black, gay man making under $20k a year is still more likely to abuse drugs than a poor, straight, black man making the same salary.

I’ve read elsewhere that it’s not just substance abuse and anxiety, but depression, suicide, domestic violence rates, infidelity and STD rates all much higher among the sexually active homosexual population.

I think there really are only two serious potential causes here:

1. Gay people have historically been shunned by the larger populace and the resulting harm leads to the noted increases in self-destructive behaviors.

2. Sin begets more sin. If gay sex really is sinful as Catholicism posits, then engaging in it causes harm to the soul which makes that soul MORE inclined to other sins as a result.

I suggest that in coming years as public morality completes a 180 degree turn, we will see clearly which it is. If #1 is correct, the difference should clear up and committed Christians should be the ones more likely to have the self-destructive tendencies (since we’ll be shunned for being bigoted monsters, of course). If #2 is correct, committed Christians will still have lower rates and actively homosexual people will still have higher rates of those self-destructive behaviors.

My bet is on the old catholic truism: sin begets sin. Sin begets misery.

How do you arrive at the conclusion? Substance abuse is a behavior issue, SS its proposed that it is not.

Did you read this somewhere or just assume a few anecdotal experiences in your life reflect the wider reality? I don’t know if that might have been the case a long time ago, but LGBT people are substantially wealthier than the average person.

LGBT Wealth

They have little familial obligations, children, or impediments from specifically seeking-out higher income jobs. As a demographic, they’re pretty affluent and influential. They also have the media, Hollywood, and universities on their side.

This affluence is combined with their higher alcohol & tobacco (and other drugs) consumption.

If you look at all the “gay” areas in cities throughout North America, Western Europe, Australia, etc, one of the first things you’ll notice is that people are certainly not poor.

gallup.com/poll/158066/special-report-adults-identify-lgbt.aspx

williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu/press/press-releases/94-of-homeless-youth-service-providers-report-serving-lgbt-youth/

Among the key findings, 94% of respondents from agencies reported working with LGBT youth, with providers indicating that 30% of their clients identified as gay or lesbian, 9% identified as bisexual, and 1% as transgender (for a total LGBT population served of 40%).

LGBT people are much more likely to be living in poverty than the average straight person. Trust me, from living in the community, people spend their only available money buying cigarettes and alcohol. It’s not healthy, but they’re so stressed out all the time from our culture and their former/current homes that it’s what they do to survive. This stress is also what contributes to the high suicide rate.

Right, it could be either though I have no clue of statistics. The issue comes to a couple points. One for sure is the broken health care system. For example a week or so ago an article hit the news about therapists copying each others progress notes. This begin to become a reality when case loads increased from the average of 30 to upward of 70. Which means no-one is meeting with these people as in fact they should be. So even the possibility of treatment is lacking.

Wealth doesn’t cure social moral ethical issues though it may go a long way to mitigate through finance etc. People in higher paying employment and social status are less likely to be confronted with their own issue. Not the case with poverty.

The other is the inability to define the issue. Outside the Catholic paradigm there is no “sin” in modern psychology. SS is not a behavior thus no-one is attempting to cure anything in this regard, which may in fact be right or wrong.

Frankly we are talking social ethical morality and only within the parameter of law. I can see why there is no help, where would you start?

There is a new psychological term for the phenomena that afflicts homosexuals.
In an effort to explain why they have higher instances of just about everything. (drug abuse, alcoholism, domestic violence, suicide and various mental illnesses)

It is called Internalized Homophobia…:shrug:

Just another effort to put the blame elsewhere I think.
This will not help homosexuals, rather it will entrench them even further into their problems.

Sin does beget sin.

Would be nice if they’d do the study on a population of homosexuals who aren’t actively homosexual, and those who are. A comparative.
Of course to do that would likely be deemed ‘bunk’ science.

Sorry if my tone is a bit snarky.
I have my reasons.

God bless.

PS Edit, Incidentally, most cases of domestic violence of homosexuals are committed by other homosexuals. (usually their partner)

Just wondering WHY absolutely anything relating to those who happen to be Gay is of such interest to members of a Catholic Forum and invariably results in many postings. The same occurs re anything appertaining to abortion. If you are wondering why I responded to the OP, it was plain old curiosity - to see what sort of ‘sin-hunting’ would result!

Do we I wonder show such interest in anything else?

God bless you all

First, I would encourage Christians to immediately cease all opposition to anti-bullying programs for LGBT people in high schools and encourage immediate implementation in all Catholic high schools. They are one of the most effective ways to help keep the stress rate, and thus suicide rate/drug usage/etc. down.

Secondly, I would continue putting out PSAs throughout the LGBT community (which just started a few years ago) emphasizing the risks of cigarette usage and broadcasting support groups and gay-friendly counselors.

Thirdly, I would mandate that insurance companies automatically pay for two free counseling sessions a month for all children & adults (whether straight or gay) under the age of 23.

And then finally, I would encourage people to volunteer more at LGBT homeless shelters. There will always be bigoted parents who throw their kids out on the street when they’re helpless and unable to care for themselves. The best we can do is make sure they don’t have to resort to drugs or prostitution just to be able to eat at night.

We show the degree of interest we do because we are curious to see if the science supports the claims we’ve been making for millenia. We are also curious because anyone who’s going to be involved in debates on the subject need to be informed on the latest findings. If we weren’t then we’d be as ignorant as the advocates of such evils portray us to be. (Ignorant of the science, not the morality)

I agree with most of this, but am confused. Do you actually know Catholics (real, serious Catholics) who support bullying of -anyone-?

You mention this a lot, and I hope it isn’t the case that you were kicked out of your home.;(
I can see a family disagreeing with active homosexuality while a child lives at home, but not just the orientation.
I do know families who’ve kicked teens out who are doing drugs, drinking, etc,… but have yet to meet a family that kicked a child out for having homosexual inclinations. Not saying it doesn’t happen (I know it has), just I haven’t witnessed it in my personal experience.

God bless.

That’s funny. Everything I’ve ever read from government statistics has shown that homosexuals earn MORE than heteros, on average. :confused:

When the Media and LBGT machine tries their best to blame others for making life harder on gays, I look around me and can’t see any of what they claim happen.

I work with about 800 people and there are dozens of gays (probably around the 3-5% mark as noted in the survey.) Not once have I witnessed any of these people being marginalized, nor have they ever commented that they currently are. I cannot help but conclude that the internal dialogue, their internal moral wrestling, is something they closet and refuse to accept. It’s the first step of 12.

And not all bullying is related to sexual orientation. In fact, most bullying I’ve been subjected to or subjected others to has been about…nothing. I didn’t speak the native language well enough, I had long hair, I went to church or the kid had acne or was over-weight or stood with his hand out like a girl or sang off key, couldn’t put the ball in the hoop.

I don’t think people commit suicide because others pick on them for being gay. I think people commit suicide because they would have committed suicide for any number of reasons related to their internalization of many outside factors, not to mention their own internal moral wrestling.

The Media, Hollywood and friends will have you believe it is solely because religious people hate LBGTs and are to blame for all their hardships. How logic fails to squash that is beyond me.

forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=12171261&postcount=8

No, no, I was not kicked out of my home. I had a horrible relationship with my parents (before they knew I was gay), and my mom freaked out when she found out and initially (in her initial outburst) threatened to bar me from the house and cut off college funding over the issue, but she calmed down after a few days. We have a better relationship now, though she still doesn’t like that I’m gay. She keeps encouraging me to date guys and I just have to :rolleyes: and roll it off me, because on a scale of 1 to horrible crazy parents, that’s like a 1 in annoying things I have to deal with.

I didn’t tell them until I was in college anyway though. My dad remarked to me when I was in high school how he didn’t understand gay men because “lesbians did it out of a fear of men, so why do gay men exist?” That showed to me he had literally no idea what lesbianism actually was, and I was nervous telling him. But my mom. My mom told me when I was 16 how happy she was none of her kids were gay. She remarked that my friend was too pretty to like girls. Etc, etc. So I WAS scared of telling her, and she definitely was more vocally angry at me when I first came out. I think my dad took it harder though, but he is very quiet.

Anyways, this is just my own story. We have a better relationship, as I’ve said, and even if I were engaging in sexual relationships with women, I think my mom would just politely engage my girlfriends and I would keep them away from her house. I think that would have to be the compromise (oh, and I’m not allowed to tell my mom’s parents :rolleyes:).

If you’re super-interested in learning about actual “kicking out” stories in order to help protect kids in the future, go to LGBT homeless shelters. There are lots there, especially among the transgender population. There’s also this anecdote that I posted in the conversion therapy thread:

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2046324/Victim-gay-conversion-therapy-describes-tortured-aged-12.html

At just 12 years of age, Samuel Brinton had no idea he was not supposed to be attracted to other boys.
So when he told his father, a Southern Baptist missionary from Iowa, that friends had found a Playboy magazine - and that he didn’t get excited like they did because he only felt that way about his best friend, Dale - he could never have predicted the torture that was to follow.
After being knocked out cold by his father, so hard that he had to be rushed to the Emergency Room, Samuel was repeatedly beaten up before being subjected to months of excruciating aversion therapy.

No no! But I do know a ton of Catholics who have this deathly fear that anything with the word “gay” in it is a subversive plot to introduce homosexuality into our children. And thus, there is a huge opposition movement within the Church (and especially among Protestants) to anti-bullying programs aimed at protecting LGBT youth.

This should apply to all people. I don’t know what 2- sessions would do with people in denial. This presuppose’s everyone is absolutely honest. Add substance abuse into the equation and honesty goes out the window.

Well, you’d have to admit that those anti-bullying campaigns (like the one on USA… can’t remember what it was called) do not distinguish between bullying and legitimate discussion. They seem to believe that any detracting opinion is bigotry, at least, that’s the opinion I’ve derived from the campaign. If a campaign is strictly against bullying, that’s fine; but when intelligent discussion and thoughtful disagreement get termed bullying, we have a problem.

I’m sorry to hear about your troubles with your parents, both about this and whatever else was causing them. I honestly don’t know if one of my children comes out as gay though… >_> I’d still love them of course, but there’s a lot more to it than just that. I’d never kick them out though… not unless they were being actively destructive to the family.

It boggles my mind too. You’d think we’d be more likely to talk about the tens of millions of STDs out there thanks to heterosexual promiscuity than talk about teh gays.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.