CDF response to U.S. Bishops' Dubium especially useful presently

Taking current affairs into account, especially in regard to publications that dis Church teaching, it might be very useful for some to review the following:

vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/documents/rc_con_cfaith_doc_19951028_dubium-ordinatio-sac_en.html

Reply to the dubium concerning the teaching contained in the apostolic letter Ordinatio Sacerdotalis.

**Dubium:**Whether the teaching that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women, which is presented in the apostolic letter Ordinatio Sacerdotalis is to be held definitively, is to be understood as belonging to the deposity of faith.

**Responsum:**In the affirmative.

This teaching requires definitive assent since, founded on the written word of God and from the beginning constantly preserved and applied in the tradition of the Church, it has been set forth infallibly by the ordinary and universal magisterium (cf. Second Vatican Council “Dogmatic Constitution on the Church,” *Lumen Gentium, 25,2).
Thus, in the present circumstances, the Roman Pontiff exercising his proper office of confirming the brethren (cf. Lk 22:32), has handed on this same teaching by a formal declaration explicitly stating what is to be held always, everywhere and by all as belonging to the deposit of faith.

The sovereign pontiff John Paul II, at the audience granted to the undersigned cardinal prefect, approved this reply, adopted in the ordinary session of this congregation, and ordered it to be published.

Rome, from the offices of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, on the feast of the apostles SS. Simon and Judem October 28, 1995
If this is not sufficient for some , then nothing ever will be. If they are still in doubt, then they should send their own dubium to the CDF. But they won’t because we all know what the response will be!*

Wow, did I ever have trouble with the fonts. Sorry. Too small at first, then tried to fix it, and just made it really weird looking. My apologies.
Just refer to the link instead, as it is the same thing.

Thank you for posting. I saw this, too. I don’t know how many ways the Church can say “no” to the ordination of women. We women, need to pursue a deeper understanding of the vocation of womanhood. Then we will see that ordination is truly a non-issue for us. If God has given us the supreme gift of Maternity, why do we whine about a lesser gift? Live the gift you are given.

Hopefully you are including “mothers of souls”. A lot of us women are single. :slight_smile:

I think one of the reasons why some people deny the validity of every authoritative statement on the issue is because they’ve invested so much in it, which makes it very hard to say “I was wrong”. After leading protest after protest, writing article after article, giving lecture after lecture, etc., they cannot accept that it was all in vain. Their entire network of friends is caught up in it all. They need prayer to extricate themselves from the chains. Those who sincerely seek after truth will have the ability and grace to change course. God grant them the grace to do that. They can do so much good giving such an example.

Some people just don’t understand “no”. Others think that if they keep harping at it we’ll soon have results like we did back in the early '70’s regards CITH and altar girls, etc.

Which is why these things are so difficult to deal with, sociologically.

CITH and altar girls are, for many dissident Catholics, not merely things that (they would posit) have value in themselves. More than that, they are symbols of rebellion. In their eyes, the Church has given in to their demands (whether giving in actually happened in fact is irrelevant). Therefore, their thinking goes, the Church should submit and give in to their other demands. It is my opinion that not only will they not, but they can not, understand the qualitative differences here. And that is why they believe everything is essentially up for debate. It is also why “giving in” to even one of their “demands” only fuels the fire.

It might be helpful to note that there are not too many "Thirty-somethings" on the picket lines. A whole lot of this will simply die off (at least within the Church, assuming one has the charity to say that the very whispy ends of the fringes are part of the Church) as those in their 60's, 70's, and 80's die off.

Which is not to say that the (totally) uneducated (excuses for) journalists will not continue to bring it up.

Ah well...:shrug:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.