Celebacy.

Remember that the practise of celebacy is a tradition and not a doctrine, so if the next Pope wants to do away with it if he so chooses. Remember the Pope can change tradition (small t) but not doctrine. He is the safe guard of doctrine.

[quote=Fox]Remember that the practise of celebacy is a tradition and not a doctrine, so if the next Pope wants to do away with it if he so chooses. Remember the Pope can change tradition (small t) but not doctrine. He is the safe guard of doctrine.
[/quote]

I think the real question is what would the change of tradition really solve?

John

I mean, it is a possiblity that the new Pope could do this, I’m just speculating it could bring more of the liberal Catholics back online. I’m just throwing it out there. It could be a tactic or means of healing the rift maybe.

IMO, it would be the nose of the camel under the tent. It would send the wrong message, among other things.

This is ridiculous. How many priests have the time or psychological energy to raise a family, in addition to their ministries? Enough.

I’m just saying you never know what the next Pope will do, he might do it, it is in his power to do so.

Even if celibacy were done away with, I think the lukewarm would just find another reason to stay away. I don’t think celibacy is the problem.

I’m not saying it is a problem, I’m saying the next Pope could change it, and must be prepared for it if it does. At one time in early Church history, the clergy was married in the Roman Rite. It might come back. Maybe it would get married Catholic laymen to become priests, who knows. It might help bolster clergy numbers.

[quote=Scullinius]This is ridiculous. How many priests have the time or psychological energy to raise a family, in addition to their ministries? Enough.
[/quote]

CHRISTOS VOSKRES!

One of my best friend’s is a married priest.

His brother is a priest and an instructor at one of the Pontifical colleges in Rome.

His sister is a nun and also a seminary professor in Uzhorod, Ukraine.

His father is also a priest who was ordained at a kitchen table in the middle of the night in the Underground church. He would serve Divine Liturgy in the cellars of peoples homes so he would not be arrested by the secret police.

His grandfather was also a priest who died in exile in a Siberian labor camp because he was a priest.

We had a pastor at one time who was a 5TH GENERATION PRIEST!

Doesn’t seem like they had any trouble raising a family… a WELL EDUCATED AND RELGIOUS FAMILY at that…

FELDAMADT KRISZTUS!

This could increase numbers to the priesthood.

[quote=Scullinius]This is ridiculous. How many priests have the time or psychological energy to raise a family, in addition to their ministries? Enough.
[/quote]

Probably a lot more than you think! We had a married priest in my last parish who was employed full time by the diocese and said mass at our parish. His duties were to the diocese, not the parish, so it worked out pretty well. He had a wife and two high school aged daughters. He was a convert from the Episcopal church where he was an ordained priest.

And lets not forget our Eastern brothers who do allow priests to marry.

:cool:

[quote=Fox]I’m not saying it is a problem, I’m saying the next Pope could change it, and must be prepared for it if it does. At one time in early Church history, the clergy was married in the Roman Rite. It might come back. Maybe it would get married Catholic laymen to become priests, who knows. It might help bolster clergy numbers.
[/quote]

It would likely have the exact opposite effect – at least for the first generation or two.

Men who join a formation to become permanent deacons today do it with their wives if they are married – and married for several years to boot. No way would a married male become a deacon if his wife was problematic. A divorced deacon is not a good role model. The same would go for priests.

Now imagine if the Church allows priests to be married. Those men who are already ordained would demand the same “right.” How would the Church vet their future brides at that point? I can just imagine the headlines! I can also see a huge exodus of ordained/seminarians at that point in time.

I guess seminarians could leave the seminary, get married, have five years (and a few kids) pass and then re-enter seminary, right? LOL! No way.

How about the issue of bishops? Would we follow the Eastern Catholic and Orthodox model of allowing married priests, while demanding celebate bishops?

Those that think allowing priests to marry will necessarily increase the number of priests need to think a bit deeper on this profound issue…

[quote=fix]IMO, it would be the nose of the camel under the tent. It would send the wrong message, among other things.
[/quote]

You can say that again. This would just give the wack jobs and whiners hope that if they attack the Church longly and loudly enough, she’ll change.

Of course the Pope can allow married priests. Would it be prudent at this point in history? Since I’m not the Pope I really can’t say.

As for our Eastern brothers…good for them. I’m sure most of them get really irritated when people suggest they need to become more like the Latin Church. Why can’t the East be the East and the Latin be Latin and the Church breathe out of both lungs? If we’re just going to become carbon copies of each other, what’s the point?

Even if he did change it, it is almost impossible to raise a family and run a parish. The parish people are your family and they need all the attention they can get, so I think most prest and seminariens would still respect the celebacy tradition. I know I will. And isn’t it Big T tradition?

while it may be true that celibacy is a discipline, i believe that the vatican and especially JPII of blessed memory, are huge advocates of the celibate priesthood. the theology of the body is an awesome way to understand the churches teaching on this. besides, many protestant churches are hurting too for ministers. allowing priests to marry would only encourage more disent.

the biggest reason of all is that Jesus was celibate. what more reason do you need?

True Oats. Maybe perhaps the Pope could make it an option for men to marry, or maybe certain guidelines for the process, like maybe if you are a priest now you can’t get married or maybe if your spouse dies while your a priest then you can’t remarry, or perhaps you can’t become a Bishop if your married. Another one is that if you are married already you can become a priest.

CHRISTOS VOSKRES!

RichT, this not correct. The Eastern Rites do not allow priests to marry!

The Eastern Rites ordain married men!

There is a HUGE DIFFERENCE!!!

The man MUST be married BEFORE he is ordained to the diaconate!

A married man who is ordained to the Holy Priesthood will rise no highet than a parish priest.

A Bishop in the Eastern church cannot be married. He must be a widower or a monastic.

CHRISTOS ANNESTI!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.