Celebrant at Easter Vigil

I am the secretary of a three cluster parish community. We have a Pastor and an associate. Can only the Pastor celebrate the Easter Vigil? I could find no mention of this in Code of Canon Law.

[quote="Sally_Malkowski, post:1, topic:183797"]
I am the secretary of a three cluster parish community. We have a Pastor and an associate. Can only the Pastor celebrate the Easter Vigil? I could find no mention of this in Code of Canon Law.

[/quote]

try particular law for you diocese. The issue lies in who the bishop delegates to confirm, as the priest who baptizes also confirms at the Easter vigil, and that should be the pastor, but yes they can concelebrate. The other issue is how the bishop delegates confirmation of adult non-Catholics coming into full communion, and adult Catholics, and those should be pastors or deans. This is one where you probably have to call the bishop's office. Since your diocese does have clustered parishes, or missions, they have a policy on this.

[/quote]

You will need to as suggested contact the diocese. However if you only have one pastor for the three parishes it will be impossible for him to celebrate three different Easter Vigils. He will probably need to celebrate at the largest parish and bring all the Catechumens there, from all three parishes for the Easter Vigil. Possibly celebrating the Reception of Candidates into Full Communion at a later date, at each of the other parishes, on different Sundays during the Easter season.

I think that would be the wisest choice to makeā€¦in fact, I know in parish clusters where the RCIA instruction is shared, usually the catechumens will make their sacraments at one church together. But that I believe is a diocese discretionary choice. The important thing is that all these people are brought in the faith that we believe in.

[/quote]

Do you mean can the associate pastor be the main celebrant at a second Easter Vigil at one of the parishes, so that there wouldn't be all three parishes cramming into one of the churches? I would think that would be fine, but it would be best to call the diocesan liturgy office about it, especially if it will involve splitting a single RCIA class, or something like that.

Besides, they have some great people working for our bishops, it is a shame not to use the resource. As far as I know, though, a priest does not have to be the pastor of a particular church to be the main celebrant at the Easter Vigil. I think it is just that a priest who will be doing confirmations at Easter Vigil has to obtain permission by the bishop to do it.

It may also be that your parishes could have one Easter Vigil, presided over by the pastor, at which all the baptisms and confirmations are done, and a second one, presided over by the associate, at one of the other two parishes, so that there is sufficient room for everyone and travel is less onerous for the parishioners who are far-removed from the main parish.

Figure on that parish wanting the associate to duplicate the entire Triduum, of course.

In our diocese associate pastors regularly are delegated to preside at the Easter Vigil.

As I recall the power to confirm at the Easter Vigil is given to the pastor. It may require explicit permission from the diocese for another priest to confirm, but should be no problem.

I think it is strictly required that the priest who baptizes at the Easter Vigil be the one who confirms.

Other than that I have never seen, or heard, of any restriction on who does what.

[quote="Joe_Kelley, post:7, topic:183797"]
As I recall the power to confirm at the Easter Vigil is given to the pastor. It may require explicit permission from the diocese for another priest to confirm, but should be no problem.

I think it is strictly required that the priest who baptizes at the Easter Vigil be the one who confirms.

Other than that I have never seen, or heard, of any restriction on who does what.

[/quote]

Considering the length and specific restrictions involved with the Easter Vigil it might not be possible for one priest to celebrate two different Easter Vigils at different parishes. Unlike a normal Saturday evening Mass where one priest may celebrate a 5pm mass at one parish and another at 6:30pm at another. Easter Vigil may not start before sundown local time and usually takes at least 2 hours or more with the RCIA Rites 2 1/2 to 3. Could a Easter Vigil start at 11PM at the third parish? Then celebrate Easter morning Mass?

The Pastor could preside at one with the Associate at another parish, but what about the third? Maybe the Pastor could celebrate at the largest parish with the help of a Deacon and have all the RCIA rites there. The Associate could celebrate an Easter Vigil at the next largest without any RCIA rites for the other two parish communities. Maybe a deacon from each parish could each have their Paschal candle and the priest bless both??? A ciborium with the Blessed Sacrament could be taken back to the third parish.

Just thinking out loud.

Why are you asking this question? That is the Priests job to figure out.

Paul

Thank you, EVERYONE, who posted a reply. That all makes sense to me. But ... my questions now is, can you not have an EASTER VIGIL without the reception of candidates/catechumans? Like, can there not just be an EASTER VIGIL mass celebrated by a priest - no special delegation?

[quote="Sally_Malkowski, post:10, topic:183797"]
Thank you, EVERYONE, who posted a reply. That all makes sense to me. But ... my questions now is, can you not have an EASTER VIGIL without the reception of candidates/catechumans? Like, can there not just be an EASTER VIGIL mass celebrated by a priest - no special delegation?

[/quote]

Yes, by all means, you can. In my own diocese, not every parish has an RCIA program. In fact, the Easter Vigil gives the options for what to do when there is no RCIA. For example, the baptismal water will be blessed, but the portions that entail the Elect are ommitted if there is no one to be baptized.

While I am not sure if this document specifically addresses your concerns, here is the link to Paschale Solemnitatis, the authoritative documents of the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Disicpline of the Sacraments that regulates the liturgical celebrations of Lent and Holy Week.

adoremus.org/PaschaleSolemnitatis.html

I hope this helps.

[quote="Sally_Malkowski, post:10, topic:183797"]

[/quote]

yes the Easter vigil is the principal Mass for Easter and no it is not required that new Catholics be received in order to have it. the order of the liturgy provides for it (moves on to profession of faith for Catholics and skips over baptism for instance, but the water is still blessed.)

I agree the pastor is the one who should be working this out, but he probably gave you the job of publishing schedules for each parish without cluing you in.

Paul - Thanks for the question. I am asking because I want to know.

Puzzleannie - You are right in your last paragraph. Obviously, you have been involved in church administration. This cluster idea is a new one to our parish communities and we are working out the kinks. Thanks for your input.

[quote="Sally_Malkowski, post:14, topic:183797"]
Puzzleannie - You are right in your last paragraph. Obviously, you have been involved in church administration. This cluster idea is a new one to our parish communities and we are working out the kinks. Thanks for your input.

[/quote]

It's new in a lot of places. That is the reason this discussion board is here, to discuss these things. I'm sure we would like very much to hear what was worked out and how it all worked.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.