Celebrating Mass during travel in train

Around 30 people are supposed to travel in a train for 3 days, and we have priests also with us. Is celebrating a mass in a moving train valid?

Also is it compulsory for priests to celebrate mass every day?

I can’t say I’ve ever heard of Mass celebrated on a train, but yes, it would be completely valid, just like celebrating Mass on a ship, which happens all the time.

Also is it compulsory for priests to celebrate mass every day?

Canon 904 of the Code of Canon Law states:
Can. 904 Remembering always that in the mystery of the eucharistic sacrifice the work of redemption is exercised continually, priests are to celebrate frequently; indeed, daily celebration is recommended earnestly since, even if the faithful cannot be present, it is the act of Christ and the Church in which priests fulfill their principal function.
So, recommended by not required.

thanks for the prompt reply :slight_smile:

No problem! On your first question, I should have quoted this canon:
Can. 932 §1. The eucharistic celebration is to be carried out in a sacred place unless in a particular case necessity requires otherwise; in such a case the celebration must be done in a decent place.
I don’t think the standard for “necessity” is very high. I mean, if you’re at a church, you couldn’t leave to go say your Mass on a train just because you think it would be more fun, but if you’re on the train for three days, as far as I’m aware it’s perfectly fine, assuming you can clear a decent place for the Mass.

Just so long as the track isn’t so rough so as to spill the Precious Blood! I’ve been on some trains where even having a cup of coffee was a challenge.

While on pilgrimage, I’ve been to Mass in hotel lobbys, on shipboard, in Roman ruins, in municipal parks, and even in parking lots. I can’t imagine a train being any more of a problem.

I’d say the only challenge would be getting sufficient space to do it and, as was remarked, the roughness of motion possibly causing the sacred species to spill.

Happy Holidays and ICXC NIKA

The biggest problem is the risk of spillage, either of the Precious Body or Precious Blood of our Lord.

Make sure to check the authority of whatever juristriction you’ll be in… :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously, as long as the sacred body & blood don’t spill, you’re all good.

Seriously, do they make “lids” for chalices for occasions like this?

Or would use of a sippee cup (the kind toddlers use) be permissible?

Seriously, it’s no more of an issue than it would be having an elderly or ill priest in a church who had problems holding a chalice. The only issue is to make sure to clean up any spills properly. If you had a small amount of Precious Blood in a large chalice, and only consumed by the celebrant, then there shouldn’t be an issue.

Are there any stops longer than about half an hour planned on this journey? If so, save the Mass for then. If not, even a stop of say fifteen minutes might be adequate to complete the Liturgy of the Eucharist and distribution of Communion, and it might be able to be timed for then.

Mmmm–a gold-lined sippee cup might not be a bad idea. You could hold a squalling infant in one arm and still receive the precious blood without fear of spilling it.:wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.