Celebration of Mass

I am wondering where in the Catechism it specifically states what the Mass is and why we celebrate it. There are some Protestants that I know who have a very warped idea of what they think Mass is. They don't understand why we celebrate the "death of Jesus" (They mean the Eucharist) at every Mass and therefore think that the Mass is a "cult" or "celebration" of death. Maybe it would help to include actual Bible verses as well, considering I am dealing with Torah wannabes/Sola Scriptura Protestants. They might consider the Catechism "not valid," even when it quotes Bible verses.

While I think trying to get the point across to these people might not work, at least I'll feel better knowing that I tried defending what the Church teaches. It is unbelievable what non-Catholics think they believe about our Church. Where do all these wacky teachings come from?

I began reading the Catechism not too long ago but I am only a few pages in. It is truly daunting trying to read this book I must say. Even when taking notes and underlining, I find that even trying to remember the key points is difficult. Any reading tips?

The Catechism discusses the Mass in §1324-§1419.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church is hard. It is mostly meant for bishops and other theologians. Try reading the Roman Catechism first, as to get a better understanding. :thumbsup:

If you have trouble understanding The Catechism of the Catholic Church, try getting the much shorter "Compendium to the Catechism of the Catholic Church", which is basically a much shorter version, and was compiled by Pope Benedict XVI.

[quote="bben15, post:2, topic:349444"]

The Catechism of the Catholic Church is hard. It is mostly meant for bishops and other theologians. Try reading the Roman Catechism first, as to get a better understanding. :thumbsup:

[/quote]

The target audience was not just "bishops and other theologians", even though as the Blessed John Paul II wrote, "I therefore strongly urge my Venerable Brothers in the Episcopate, for whom the Catechism is primarily intended", he further stated it should, "be known and shared by everyone, so that the unity in faith whose supreme model and origin is found in the Unity of the Trinity may be strengthened and extended to the ends of the earth."

It was intended primarily to all the clergy with instruction to disseminate it to the laity.

Not everyone will find it a daunting or complicated read.

[quote="bben15, post:2, topic:349444"]

[/quote]

What is the Roman Catechism?

[quote="Tous_Logous, post:5, topic:349444"]
What is the Roman Catechism?

[/quote]

I think he's referring to the Catechism of the Council of Trent.

[quote="ProVobis, post:6, topic:349444"]
I think he's referring to the Catechism of the Council of Trent.

[/quote]

The official name is the Roman Catechism. :thumbsup:

I got a copy of the Catechism of the Council of Trent. (that's what it says on the cover and fly sheet). and I love it. A friend was moving to Rome and had to get rid of most of her books. :)

[quote="Tous_Logous, post:1, topic:349444"]
I am wondering where in the Catechism it specifically states what the Mass is and why we celebrate it. There are some Protestants that I know who have a very warped idea of what they think Mass is. They don't understand why we celebrate the "death of Jesus" (They mean the Eucharist) at every Mass and therefore think that the Mass is a "cult" or "celebration" of death. Maybe it would help to include actual Bible verses as well, considering I am dealing with Torah wannabes/Sola Scriptura Protestants. They might consider the Catechism "not valid," even when it quotes Bible verses.

While I think trying to get the point across to these people might not work, at least I'll feel better knowing that I tried defending what the Church teaches. It is unbelievable what non-Catholics think they believe about our Church. Where do all these wacky teachings come from?

I began reading the Catechism not too long ago but I am only a few pages in. It is truly daunting trying to read this book I must say. Even when taking notes and underlining, I find that even trying to remember the key points is difficult. Any reading tips?

[/quote]

CCC:

scborromeo.org/ccc.htm

Compendium:

vatican.va/archive/compendium_ccc/documents/archive_2005_compendium-ccc_en.html

Roman Catechism:
cin.org/users/james/ebooks/master/trent/tindex.htm

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.