Celebration or Sacrifice?

Is the mass a celebration, a sacrifice or a celebration OF a sacrifice? In whatever case, should we not be honestly emotional? If we are to meet with God at mass, don’t the lyrics to Mercy Me’s “ I Can Only Imagine” explain how we should expect each other to act? How can we legislate that? In fact, how dare we? How do ya’ll feel about that?

**Surrounded by Your glory, what will my heart feel
Will I dance for you Jesus or in awe of you be still
Will I stand in your presence or to my knees will I fall
Will I sing hallelujah, will I be able to speak at all
I can only imagine **

A celebration is not a party and proper form for a celebration can be defined in a very specific manner. The final goal is to worship God in a proper manner. Please read “The Spirit of the Liturgy” by Romano Guardini. It is a very short and cheap book but it will explain quite a few good points. One of them being the “playfulness of the liturgy”.

We’re in communion with a sacrificial celebration. :slight_smile:

It is both a celebration and a sacrifice. On the first level, it is a celebration of a sacrifice because we commemorate Calvary. On the second level, because Christ’s sacrifice is once and for all, we re-present it - ie, make it present again - at the Eucharist. It is not that we sacrifice Him again (because he has already given Himself in sacrifice) but rather we take part in what is a once-and-for-all-time event.

As far as the tone of worship, see what Revelation 4 and 5 say about the worship at the altar in Heaven. This is certainly more somber and formal than contemporary Christian music would have - and while there’s a time and a place for music like “Mercy Me” it doesn’t have to be during a liturgy. That said, I think some are called to charismatic worship - perhaps yourself - and there’s nothing wrong with more upbeat celebrations like the Life Teen masses. But don’t dismiss a Missal celebration because it is reserved and solemn.

Lastly, if your soul calls out for joy, then be joyous. We ought to worship throughout our lives. If the Mass is the most solemn moment of your Christ-filled week, truly the Lord has blessed you with a spirit of joy!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.