Celebrity crushes and prayer

You know how sometimes you get a celebrity crush? Not an obsession, just a harmless, "Wow, I never realized how handsome Mr. BigStuff is." It bothers me that I do this. Like most teens, I had my share of heartache over boys who would never know my name. I was thinking about this the other day and it struck me that those moments may be the Spirit's way of whispering a prayer need, but that our society has so distorted and sexualized these people that we can't see it. What do you think?

You may be into something there jazzbaby! I’m 50 and still get the occasional crush on someone I’ve seen on tv. Saying a prayer for them is an excellent idea!

I've had a huge crush on Robert Patrick (T-1000 in Terminator II, John Doggett, etc.) for years. I've prayed for him for years, too.

And it works! Back when I first had a crush on him, he listed his religion as "atheist." Then he did Ladder 49, and in one of the interviews, talked about how he would like to convert to Catholicism. (Ladder 49 has a lot of Catholic imagery.)

In the last year, he has done several interviews in which he talks about (not just mentions, but actually talks about) his involvement with the Anglican church (in the U.S.A.). Several times he has mentioned going to Mass and doing other things in the parish. It's not the Catholic Church, but it's close, right?! It's certainly better than atheism.

He has also talked in many interviews about his "covenant marriage" with his wife, and stated that they plan to stay married forever on this earth. He also praises his children and talks about how he tried to be a good father. "They're my best production," he says.

He has mentioned a Bible study that he attends at his local Harley Davidson store. (Bless that store owner's heart for hosting this Bible study!)

AND in the last few months, he has gone public talking about his problems with alcohol and drugs when he first moved to Hollywood, and about how he has been sober for many years now.

I would say those are some smokin' answers to prayer!

Celebrities are just people like everyone else, although their fame and wealth puts them at risk for all kinds of sins and griefs. I think the OP is definitely on to something--perhaps crushes are God's way of getting at least one person on this earth to pray for that celeb.

1 Like

Jazzbaby1~ I read your post this afternoon and I have thought about it the rest of the day. I think you are very close to being right. It sure does explain some things for me. Knowing the circumstances I can clearly see how God was working now that I think back on things. I do believe that God had a double intention for me. Not only did he want me praying for someone that I admired from afar, He also used this person to help bring me to another person who turned out to be my best friend, like the sister I never had but always wanted and needed. We wouldn't have ever known each other if it hadn't been for this certain person we both admired from afar. This has been a few years ago now and while this was all going on my best friend and I did not attend church. We both have since gone back to our respective religions and are both active in our faith. This makes me feel happy inside.

You know how sometimes you get a celebrity crush? Not an obsession, just a harmless, "Wow, I never realized how handsome Mr. BigStuff is." It bothers me that I do this. Like most teens, I had my share of heartache over boys who would never know my name. I was thinking about this the other day and it struck me that those moments may be the Spirit's way of whispering a prayer need, but that our society has so distorted and sexualized these people that we can't see it. What do you think?

What a beautiful thought :newidea:

So often for teens (and indeed all sorts of adults from what I've seen), these "crushes" really become an occasion of sin (witness some of the very strange reactions to the Twilight phenomenon by otherwise respectable Mothers). This would be an awesome way to turn something very common and sometimes a stepping stone into less savory things into a great good.

I like the way you think :thumbsup:

[quote="Raphael777, post:5, topic:183104"]
What a beautiful thought :newidea:

So often for teens (and indeed all sorts of adults from what I've seen), these "crushes" really become an occasion of sin (witness some of the very strange reactions to the Twilight phenomenon by otherwise respectable Mothers). This would be an awesome way to turn something very common and sometimes a stepping stone into less savory things into a great good.

I like the way you think :thumbsup:

[/quote]

Amen, Amen and Amen!

Truly inspired.

Thank you for the kind words, but it definitely wasn't me, it was the Spirit. What's actually kind of embarrassing is that I already do pray as part of the Hollywood Prayer Network, but I was pushing these little moments away because I was afraid of their becoming a near occasion of sin. Funny when you shut up and let the Spirit speak, no?;)

I should start praying for some of these celebs that I'm a fan of. :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.