Celebrity priests?

What do you think? Not a fan, I can’t figure out why they need to sell themselves over and above the Gospel.

Wanna make this any less vague so we might have some idea what you’re talking about?

Yeah :rolleyes: I agree with this comment please elaborate!:rolleyes:

Hmmm…would you speak so abruptly to someone IRL? I hope not.

I did not get into specifics as to not talk about any priest in particular.

I am asking what folks think of priests that have products, say cookbooks,TV programs, newsletters, sweatshirts and bigger than life personalities. Seems to me, they often end up
defrocked.

Never heard of such a thing before.

Hi bonvivantHermit,

I've noticed the trend myself (celebrity priests ending up disgraced and defrocked). John Corapi anyone? It's the chicken and egg dilemma for me: does the spotlight attract Priests for the wrong reasons or do the thrill, recognition and the small-scale cult of personality corrupt them? Don't know why everybody pretended not to get what you were talking about. The temptation must be ever present to put oneself out there (the messenger) before the Gospel (the message).

I pretended no such thing, stop being so coldhearted as to put words in everyone else’s mouth. I’ve never HEARD of a “celebrity priest”, so how was I to know exactly what she was talking about?

Perhaps it’s more of an (north) american phenomenon, perhaps you’re not from the US or Canada? I take back “pretended” if you found it offensive.

While it seems that some of the celebrity Priests have had some issues, I don’t think it is a whole lot worse on a per capita basis than Priests who work in the parishes. We just HEAR about the others on a national or worldwide basis because they are on TV or authors, etc.

And this is certainly not a Catholic phenomena exclusively…we all remember the more famous of the Protestants as they endured sin and shame in a public manner as well.

I only know one “celebrity Priest” on a personal basis, and he is simply one of the most humble men I know. He is grounded, soft-spoken and yet is known around the world.

Long story short, some handle the fame, others don’t…just like in the secular world.

Mike Maturen, MDiv
author of “A New Dawn: Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life”

You ask about celebrity priests and then refuse to speak about celebrity priests. Please make up your mind – you are asking us to make moral judgments on individuals, and yet attempt to refuse to individualize the conversation.

I am asking what folks think of priests that have products, say cookbooks,TV programs, newsletters, sweatshirts and bigger than life personalities. Seems to me, they often end up defrocked.

A priest using his cooking talent to write a cookbook that will help others? We must alert the Church Elders!

Yes…Good Lord forbid that we use a worldwide forum like EWTN or Catholic Answers Live (who provides this forum) to reach others for the Catholic Faith.

Did not Jesus become famous? Yes…to the point where he had to sometimes go out in the middle of the sea just to have some quiet.

I am a member of the Holy Family Institute, which is a part of the Pauline family. The charism of our religious orders is “the means of social communication”, which includes publishing houses, radio, TV, etc.

The problem is not so much the fame that is involved, it is the weakness of the flesh…and that can happen to anyone, famous or not.

When I was growing up, a certain “celebrity priest” was on television every week, and even we non-Catholics liked him. His name was Archbishop Fulton Sheen. He’s definitely not defrocked. In fact, he’s on track for sainthood. People still watch his videos today.

ALL the popes are “celebrities,” and at least in modern times, they have handled it with grace.

I think that certain people will not handle fame well, and others will handle it beautifully and bring glory to God through their celebrity.

A “celebrity priest” might be the only link to the Church and to Christ that some people have. If the “celeb” can get people interested in God and His Church, then good for them!

Do you have a link that backs up your facts? Somehow l don’t think Fr. Peacw is on the road to being defrocked. Did it ever occur to you that “celebrity Priests” (I’m thinking of the priests on Sirius/XM’s The Catholic Channel) as being part of the new evaganalatizon (sp??)?

First of all- why is it wrong to question the idea of “celebrity” priest? From the snarky answers I have read, seems there is an inordinate attachment to personalities.

The Church got into a lot of trouble when we protected SOME priests in the past. The attitude was that father was not to be questioned, that lead to questioning by police and the collective questioning of the Catholic conscience.

There are obvious fallen celebrity priests out there, I can think of one “cutie”… and his case mild in comparision.

I will not make a list of fallen priests here, that’s not the point.
What I am interested in, is the profile of the fallen celebrity priest.
I would argue the Pope is not a celebrity nor is Jesus- they’re well-known and
celebrated but not celebrities.

I’ll start- the Pope did not necessarily want/seek his post, the celebrities built their empires.

1 Like

No, I won’t go along with that. Fulton Sheen did not “build an empire.” He just happened to be an excellent preacher and speaker, and many people wanted to hear him, but since he couldn’t be in multiple locations, he made use of the medium of television so that many could hear the Gospel preached.

Many talented people do not seek to 'build empires." They have something that others want; ability to speak, preach, play, sing, or write well, a product that they’ve created, etc.

I am asking what is the difference between a celebrated priest and a celebrity priest.

Still do not understand the defensiveness. Rev. Sheen may be an example of a celebrated priest, but how is he different than say another fallen celebrity priest?

How do we avoid “cults of personality”? How to differentiate?

There are and have been priests who used media/priesthood for their own devices- how to tell the difference? How to identify?

Did anyone mention any attachment to personalities? Why do you feel that that is a logically valid conclusion to draw from the responses?

Did you actually state what your problem with celebrity priests is? No, you did not. So why are you surprised when people point that out?

There are obvious fallen celebrity priests out there, I can think of one “cutie”… and his case mild in comparision.

You border on contradictory. You say that we should be open to questioning priests (I agree), but then refuse to question any specific priests.

I will not make a list of fallen priests here, that’s not the point.
What I am interested in, is the profile of the fallen celebrity priest.

That is a sterile topic. That priest will be both a celebrity and fallen. There is really nothing to discuss beyond that, since you refuse to discuss any specifics whatsoever.

Should we guess as to the average fallen celebrity priest’s height? Age? Hair color? Birthplace? What exactly are you looking to discuss? Every priest is different; any “celebrity” priest will be a celebrity for a different reason.

Furthermore, that was not your OP. Your OP asked about celebrity priests, and now you do not want to discuss celebrity priests. Pick one.

I would argue the Pope is not a celebrity nor is Jesus- they’re well-known and
celebrated but not celebrities.

Then define “celebrity.”

I’ll start- the Pope did not necessarily want/seek his post, the celebrities built their empires.

Is empire-building inherently bad? Why is someone who did not want/seek his post not a celebrity?

You yourself are positing a difference. It is your responsibility to provide a definition of celebrity that you want to use, since you have rejected those of others – for example, one that would label Jesus and the Pope as “celebrities.”

Still do not understand the defensiveness.

There is no defensiveness; only aversion to your nonsensical posts.

Rev. Sheen may be an example of a celebrated priest, but how is he different than say another fallen celebrity priest?

Good question. Care to provide definitions?

How do we avoid “cults of personality”? How to differentiate?

Easy: do not become overly attached to a personality. I cannot think of a single priest who has had a “cult of personality” in the recent past.

There are and have been priests who used media/priesthood for their own devices- how to tell the difference? How to identify?

Do you think differentiation is possible?

Another characteristic of a “celebrity priest” could be being self-refrential, writing books and
citing oneself over and above biblical/doctors of the church.

What is wrong with being self-referential?

If I have spent five years researching a topic and then writing a book about it, why on earth would it not make sense for me to reference my own research later? Are you saying that priests should not contribute to learning and understanding?

Also, if every priest followed your advice, we would have no doctors of the Church in the first place.

I really do not understand what you want here. :confused:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.