Celibrating Easter... 50 days...How?

I am the proud mother of two boys, 5 and 4 years old. We went through Advent beautifully and Christmas all the way up to Epifany celibrating Christ! So now I am getting ready to teach and walk through Lent with them again and I have simple plans for them to prepare their hearts for Easter.

Here is my stumbling block. How do you celibrate 50 days of Easter?

During Advent we have our wreath, Christmas and Epifany a tree and nativity. Easter... a basket??? I really don't have space in my home and in stroage for another fake tree to fill with colored eggs. So how do you decorate your home and celibrate 50 days? (My DH can't stand pastels and nether can I.)

I have happy memories of Easter when I was growing up, but the joyful season never stuck in our minds or our heart for long. We celibrated for one day and ate candy and hard boiled eggs for the rest of the week and then it was over as though Easter never came.

I would really like to get this nailed down before Lent so I can focus on the resurection.

Any help would be great!!! Thanks so much!!!

I have the same problem, because of CCD schedules, there is so much bustle with sacramental prep, school vacations, sports, that attendance just dies after Easter and it never gets discussed, much less Ascension and Pentecost.

mysteries of the rosary are a good tag because they correspond with the liturgical year somewhat

and of course any lectionary - based resource will be of help

[quote="matilda116, post:1, topic:183722"]
I am the proud mother of two boys, 5 and 4 years old. We went through Advent beautifully and Christmas all the way up to Epifany celibrating Christ! So now I am getting ready to teach and walk through Lent with them again and I have simple plans for them to prepare their hearts for Easter.

Here is my stumbling block. How do you celibrate 50 days of Easter?

During Advent we have our wreath, Christmas and Epifany a tree and nativity. Easter... a basket??? I really don't have space in my home and in stroage for another fake tree to fill with colored eggs. So how do you decorate your home and celibrate 50 days? (My DH can't stand pastels and nether can I.)

I have happy memories of Easter when I was growing up, but the joyful season never stuck in our minds or our heart for long. We celibrated for one day and ate candy and hard boiled eggs for the rest of the week and then it was over as though Easter never came.

I would really like to get this nailed down before Lent so I can focus on the resurection.

Any help would be great!!! Thanks so much!!!

[/quote]

<

I am a crafter. Sometimes, my ideas are more bizarre than creative. Anyway, if you don't have place for a 3-D tree, how about a 2-D Easter egg tree? Put it on the refrigerator or door. I couldn't get the picture above to cooperate! It is supposed to be a conventional tree shape with the four on the bottom centered for the 'trunk.' Each asterisk represents an 'egg.' The symbol on the top is a dove - put it on as the topper on Pentecost!

With kids, let them be creative. Make a template that will fit 9 across on whatever surface you choose. Make one 'tree' together, or let each child make his own. They can use the template to cut 'eggs' from cereal boxes, soup can labels, leftover wrapping paper to 'build' the tree, probably from the top down so they can watch the tree 'grow' - 3 'eggs' will look like a baby tree. And the tree will point upwards. Have them search for a dove to put on top at Pentecost - from clip art, a greeting card, church bulletin, etc. A recycling project, too - giving things a new life. You could stick with heart theme, too, and create a heart tree instead. Eggs are easier to cut out, and a sign of new life! Hearts will keep them busy longer!

Maybe I just need some sleep!

Love the idea of the "Easter tree"! I was going to suggest a paper chain to either create or take apart. I used to hang a paper chain for Advent/Lent when mine were younger and the took one off each day as a 'count down'. Didn't occur to me then to celebrate all the days of Easter! We did Easter week and then didn't really celebrate the rest of the days until Pentacost. The tree could be a low key way to help them see how important Easter is because we celebrate it longer than anything else!

God is so good!!! Thank you for the great ideas! I could aspire in the years to come to create a paper chain with the scriptures from Easter to Pentacost...hmmm...! I love a good and simple craft challenge for an Easter tree the eggs will be fun to make too!!! I am open to more ideas! Paper doves I think Martha Stewart has some type of dove pattern.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.