celine dion

does anyone else like her music?

i personally think she is still one of the most talented people we have in the music industry.

and she claims to be a catholic though i don’t know how much she practices.

she does seem like quite a sweet person though.

the only thing that bothers me is her ivf treatments she used to get pregnant. i know that is mortal sin and i don’t tink she sees anything wsrong with it which i supposed puts her in mortal sin. not that i’m judging. i guess i just wish she had used her talents and treasures to adopt children instead. that would have a beautiful expression of faith. oh well, i have my own sins so i can’t criticize others.

anyways, how about we say a prayer for her? i think celebrities need it to, though we often forget that because they have lots of money and admirers and are generally well off. but i thik they are also quite alienated from people because of it.

She has a great voice!

Hail Mary, Full of Grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women, and blest is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. :angel1:

Ivf is wrong in every way possible…we cant know if celine knew it was wrong or not to get pregnant that way…that is between her and god and one day she will have to stand before god and account for that and for all the fetuses that died during ivf so her twins could be born…

According to paragraph 2377 of the Catechism, IVF is not a mortal sin. Paragraph 2376 does say that the use of a surrogate mother is “gravely immoral,” which means it is a Mortal Sin. Paragraph 2377, however, describes the use of techniques such as IVF as “perhaps less reprehensible, yet remain morally unacceptable.”

According to paragraph 2377 of the Catechism, IVF is not a mortal sin. Paragraph 2376 does say that the use of a surrogate mother is “gravely immoral,” which means it is a Mortal Sin. Paragraph 2377, however, describes the use of techniques such as IVF as “perhaps less reprehensible, yet remain morally unacceptable.”

“**perhaps **less reprehensible, yet remain morally unacceptable.” ≠ “not a mortal sin.”

I would posit that “morally unacceptable” = “mortal sin”.

All sin is morally unacceptable, be it venial sin or mortal sin. The operative word that tells us that it is not a mortal sin is “less.” Also, the Catechism uses the word ‘gravely’ as in gravely sinful or gravely immoral when referring to mortal sin.

Having said that, the United States Catholic Catechism For Adults rightly points to the fact that “very often in the process, eggs that have been fertilized and are beginning to grow as a human person are discarded or destroyed. This action is the taking of human life and is gravely sinful.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.