Celtic Catholic Church

My buddy Tom Hale of Auburn, California is a member of this church.
Is the CC in Communion with it?
WP

Celtic Catholic Church
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Celtic Catholic Church is a Western Rite church in the United States of America. It claims Apostolic Succession from the Archbishop of Canterbury William Sancroft’s associates, the non-jurors, specifically those who fled to Wales in the 17th century. It also traces its tradition back to Celtic Christianity and the mission that, according to medieval legend, Saint Joseph of Arimathea took to Glastonbury and the Celts in AD 36. The modern Church using this name, however, is unable to demonstrate any existence before the 1960s, and was incorporated in 1974. As of 2006, it claims to be “tiny”, with one bishop and five congregations (in southern California, Washington state, and Hawaiʻi).

The Celtic Catholic Church emphasizes the Nicene and Apostles’ Creeds, omitting the filioque clause from the Nicene Creed. Mass is celebrated in Saxon. The canons provide for the ordination of women to the diaconate and priesthood.

I don’t see any way that this church could be in communion with Rome. Just the fact that it provides for the ordination of women would exclude it, in my very humble opinion.

I would agree with your opinion on the ordination of womenfolk.
WP

Apparently, this church has a documented history going only back the 1960s. Despite the name, it does not appear this is an historical church. I don’t know of any Early Church Fathers ever mentioning rites which ordain women. We have the denomination “The Church of Christ”, which was actually founded by Mr. Campbell in the 19th century. And of course that’s not really “the Church of Christ” - the Catholic Church was founded by Christ. So, while the name of this church is interesting, it doesn’t seem to have any real connection to the Catholic Church.

When Hale freezes over…:smiley:

why am I not surprised by the locale.

Mass in a Celtic Church is celebrated in Saxon? why?

double post on my part.

Because Saxon is the dominant language in the United States.
I suppose not many in Californian speak Latin or Gaelic;)
WP

It’s not yet available online, but the latest issue of Catholic Answers’ THIS ROCK magazine has an article addressing the claims of the supposed “Celtic Church” (there apparently are variants within it, some “Orthodox”, some “Catholic”).

I would like to read that when it comes online.
WP

news to me I studied a little saxon, anglo-saxon, early and middle english in college, and I never met anyone in america who speaks it. Of course I was only in California for a long weekend, that might explain it. If it is a Celtic Catholic Church that does not have Celtic or Gaelic as its language of liturgy, I suspect it is really the California pseudo-Catholic Church.

:confused: :confused: Your entire post is IN Saxon as are all others on this forum:confused:
Not “Angle-ish” :wink:
WP

no they are not

Yes they are:)
Happy Thanksgiving.
WP

This use of “Saxon” to refer to English is not some sort of white supremacist terminology is it? I was googling “Saxon” and “Celtic Catholic” together and it seems these terms are used on websites like stormfront and something called “skadi” which seems to be similar. This isn’t your “angle” :wink: , is it?

Uh, PA’s right SM.

Toodlepip :wink:

Good Lord No!!
Stormfront.org is nothing but skinhead Nazis and Kluckers causing trouble!:mad:
We members of URASS and ScotWatch refer to it as Saxon because that is exactly what it is, the language brought by the Saxon Invaders in the fifth century.
We do NOT use it to pay tribute to the Saxons or their “Aryan” kin.:wink:
WP

Perhaps Sassenach is a more appropriate word?

Well the two words do mean the same thing.:slight_smile:
WP

Oh, indeed. But I think I would have to agree with Annie in that the English we speak has been highly influenced by French during the Middle Ages and by the adoption of large amounts of Latin words during the late Rennaisance. As such, I could not justify the use of the word Saxon.

I believe that there is a Celtic Catholic Church monastery in northwest Arkansas. I can remember seeing a picture in our local paper of a purported Celtic monk walking down the road. He was not tonsured. One has to wonder if these folks have ever heard about the Synod of Whitby.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.