Census 2016 will tell us a lot about modern Ireland

irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/census-2016-will-tell-us-a-lot-about-modern-ireland-1.2584927

The 2016 Irish census is being taken tonight and the papers, media presenters, etc… all are, no doubt, being pushed/paid to try to lower the percentage of people who state they are Catholic.

The last census taken in 2011 stated 84% were RC - which needless to say effects the government’s ease to introducing secular policies, e.g. taking religion out of schools, introducing abortion, etc…

This latest media drive is in keeping with the same sex marriage referendum press coverage, when everyone and their mother - all professing to be practicing Catholics - e.g. past Presidents, the Prime Minister etc, all stated they were voting YES.
Also 90% of the article printed then were in favour of a YES vote, as opposed to 10% NO.

Although some Catholics will not be practicing they will still strongly identify as being such, and will wish to have a Catholic funeral, wedding, to baptise their children in the Church, etc…Separate polling undertaken, showed that the greater majority of parents still wish the schools to be maintained under the CC.

independent.ie/opinion/comment/no-religion-just-a-sense-of-wonder-34654214.html

No religion - just a sense of wonder
Miriam O’Callaghan will be ticking that box on the census but she’ll continue to marvel at the beauty of religion

There’s the eight-year-old who says he wasn’t making his Communion because he is “an atheist”. I tell him about my Italian friend, 10 times his age, who is an atheist and also a Communist. He keeps the local shrine to the Madonna, as did his father and grandfather, who he suspects, were ever only cultural Catholics. Today, he keeps the shrine out of tradition. As he sees it, she shares his property. She comforts people. They believe she protects them. Therefore, her protects her.

irishtimes.com/culture/heritage/how-will-you-answer-the-religion-question-on-your-census-2016-form-1.2620971

How will you answer the religion question on your Census 2016 form?
It’s surely not asking too much for people who don’t believe in God to admit as much

*Is it asking too much for people who don’t believe in God to admit as much? Do they feel that here is where they register their attitude to Pascal’s wager? “Aha. Harry Mangan has an individual septic tank and gas central heating,” God says, while peering over that citizen’s shoulder. “What’s this? ‘No religion’? He’s been keeping that a secret. No eternal bliss for him!”

If we are to believe the 2011 census, more or less everybody in the Republic is a Catholic; a staggering 84 per cent still ticked that box. A tiny 2.8 percent registered as Church of Ireland. Mrs Blennerhassett’s parrot brought the number of Methodists up to 0.15 per cent. And an admirable 6 per cent told the bloody truth and registered as “no religion”.*

Nice to meet you on these forums, pepipop. I’m a teenage Irish Catholic. It’s typical of the Irish media and the very dark elements which appear to control it to attempt to denigrate Catholicism in Ireland at every opportunity. They hate the Church as it stands in the way, opposed to their secularist culture of death, perversion and utter destruction. They have been the cause of so much damage to the Church in the last few years as they have spun so many half-truths and utter lies to turn the Irish from the Body of Christ, his beloved Catholic Church. This is only another reminder of the “tolerance” that the liberal media bestows upon or shows Irish Catholicism. Lord, have mercy.

Nice to meet you too, StBenLabre, welcome to the forums. :thumbsup:

Yes, the media have a high level of culpability in what has happened to the Church, over the past decade, in Ireland. Here’s the latest anti-Catholic slanted ‘news’ item for this afternoon. :frowning:

Obviously, this will be a ‘power’ struggle between the consultants/doctors/staff in the respective hospitals - it will definitely have absolutely nothing to with the ‘nuns’ wishing to obstruct any arrangement.

They want Catholicism removed from everything they can, be it education, health and from ‘society’ in general.

Revealed: Nuns obstruct major maternity hospital plans

independent.ie/irish-news/health/revealed-nuns-obstruct-major-maternity-hospital-plans-34654181.html

*The design for the co-located National Maternity Hospital on the St Vincent’s Hospital Group Campus at Elm Park, first mooted in 1998 - and formally announced in May 2013 - is ready for submission to An Bord Pleanala.

However, St Vincent’s is insisting that the Holles Street National Maternity Hospital - the largest maternity hospital in Ireland, which last year delivered almost 9,500 babies - must dissolve as a legal and clinical entity and come under its governance structures.

The National Maternity Hospital, which describes its current hospital as “antiquated, undersized and unsuitable for modern obstetric and neonatal practice”, says that proposed governance requirements set down by the St Vincent’s Hospital Group (SVHG) will place all services, including tertiary maternity and neonatal services at National Maternity Hospital, under the complete control of the St Vincent’s board and shareholders, the Religious Sisters of Charity.*

Will be proudly declaring as Roman Catholic. :thumbsup:

I’d love it if the statistics don’t show much of a change. But what would the media talk about then? Wouldn’t fit into their agenda, so it would be passed over with one quick sentence. Otherwise they’ll devote whole segments to it.

Here’s an interesting article from a few months ago called, “Why Irish atheists still need the Catholic Church.”
irishtimes.com/opinion/joe-humphreys-why-irish-atheists-still-need-the-catholic-church-1.2485820

Yes, me too. :slight_smile:

I wonder how that article slipped through their nets, it must have been one of the ‘allocated’ 10% :rolleyes: - a good reasoned article.

Without religion there is no scale on which to measure any ‘moral’ good for a society. Anything goes, and whoever shouts the loudest gets their way. Everything or anything can be seen as acceptable, as why should one group not get their way, when another group does - all fair and equal, as already witnessed in the West through liberalism.

I hope that Ireland is still a nation with a Catholic majority. Catholicism has been a part of Irish culture for a very long time.

According to the CIA Factbook, Ireland is still 84.7% Catholic.

ICXC NIKA

I often feel if you talk about something long enough in the media it creates a scandal in and of itself. The cases of child sexual abuse were horrendous but the level of false accusations and over-hyped reporting were really something else. It seems to have toned down now but a few years ago it felt like 90% of priests were predators as opposed to a low single digit figure of 3 or 4 percent, well below the average percentage for the rate of abusers in a profession. You could understand with that constant assault how it could and really did turn over hundreds of thousands away from the Church. It was almost like living in 16th century Protestant England where the press then lined up a list of anti-papist accusations regularly on pamphlets, which of course back then were always fabricated to an extreme extent to draw those away from in their eyes “Romish practices.” Of course, the sex abuse scandals weren’t the only problem - they’d still hate the Church anyway. It just provides a valid excuse to secretly attack it. You can’t go a month without a new story, which turns around to most often to be baseless. God love the Sisters of Charity - I’ll await more on that story…

Funny you mention that the state are trying to rid all Catholic influences - that in itself isn’t funny, tragic rather but it reminds me of a story concerning Pope Pius VI in the 18th century. Napoleon went to Rome and told him that he would crush and destroy the Catholic Church completely. Pius VI laughed uncontrollably to the annoyance presumably of Napoleon and said “You’re trying to do what priests and bishops have been trying to do for the last seventeen centuries” Fair play Pius VI…

We’re mostly culturally Catholic, though. We have an impressive mass attendance rate for Western countries at 35% but even 30 years ago, it was 85% and 50 years ago, it was 99%. And that figure will soon fall sharply as only 10% of under 50 year olds and all ages under - a steady figure, go to mass, while something like 70% of all those above seventy do go to mass - that tremendous Catholic heritage will soon be snuffed out to a large extent when our old people are gone.

Mass attendance is not a trivial matter for anyone who takes Catholic teaching seriously at all.

Are you agreeing that the slump in mass attendance figures is serious or are you raising a different point? - I’m not sure what you’re trying to say…

I am agreeing that without Mass, self-professed Catholics are a cultural phenmomena. Mass is the proper measure of what it really means to be a practicing Catholic.
Even if ‘Mass abstinence’ was not a mortal sin, it is regular Mass attendance that creates a Catholic community.

Catholics are a people of the Eucharist. Without the Mass, faith becomes Protestant, a matter of personal faith rather than of communal practice. The Mass defines the community, and being a member of a community defines the Catholic. The existence of a common history and a personal sense of faith does not.

.85 regular attendance defines a Catholic country. .35 does not.

Oh ok, alright. I agree and echo your sentiments. Sorry for having misjudged your remarks and for not perhaps stating one point clearer. We were indeed a proud Catholic nation once. My point is this - I mean to say by Cultural Catholicism - the term I used is basically being as we’d say over here “hatched, matched and dispatched” in the Church without any element of faith in the persons life who goes through these actions. I don’t mean to consider that form as a way of authentic way of living the faith but merely a “cultural phenomena” as you said yourself and I once more apologize if I somewhat suggested that in my earlier remark.

Whilst that is completely correct - from a government viewpoint the percentage will effect their ease at introducing secular legislation and hence most issues will require a referendum.

Although the mass attendance is not regular (mind you, everyone in Ireland seems to go to mass on Xmas day), the values of Catholicism will still be instilled in most people, as children. All values will not be accepted, e.g. the use of contraception, however abortion will be more strongly viewed as wrong, as the Catholic position will be well known, e.g. as opposed to ‘Well the rest of the world allows abortion, so why don’t we.’

It also assists with stopping changes to the schooling system. The greater majority of parents still wish their children to be educated within the Catholic system, which was ‘proven’ by polls undertaken. Up until the polls were taken it was stated otherwise, in the media and by government, in part due to the references made to the number of 'non-practicing Catholics.

So, the figure is important in relation to larger issues like abortion, removing religious education from schools and whatever other secular nonsense they wish to introduce.

Same sex marriage was voted through by a very small minority, in Ireland. Aside from the PM and an ex-President, who both professed to be practicing Catholics, even several priests and, I believe, a bishop stated in the press that they would vote YES, as it was a civil matter, with the PM also stating in a speech to show the world how ‘compassionate’ Irish people were. :rolleyes:

Needless to say, that who-hah died a quick death, after the vote and has since been long forgotten with absolutely no change to society - well ATM anyway.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.