Census shows whites lose US majority among babies

WASHINGTON (AP) - For the first time, minorities make up a majority of babies in the U.S., part of a sweeping race change and growing age divide between mostly white, older Americans and predominantly minority youths that could reshape government policies.

Preliminary census estimates also show the share of African-American households headed by women - made up of mostly single mothers - now exceeds African-American households with married couples, a sign of declining U.S. marriages overall but also continuing challenges for black youths without involved fathers.

apnews.myway.com/article/20110623/D9O1HG5G0.html

Why is this a concern? I’ve seen the issue raised in a number of forums, but I don’t understand.

We are all Americans (born here or naturalized). There are issues with unwed parenthood in all the communities, which is a problem because more often it implies a lack of income to support children properly.

But, the fact that there are specifically fewer white babies? What is the problem?

Well, I pretty much consider myself white since I look the part and don’t have the ability to get a native American card from my ancestors tribe. That being said, I’m kinda tired of being white in this country. I’m ready for another race to take the lead. All this **** about how racist we are wears a white boy down.

The color does not matter, the culture does. The culture mainly comes from Europeans who came here…that means some other form of culture will replace the culture that has dominated since the USA was founded. Couple that with the fact that white people in general are also Christians, and they are now having fewer babies, which means there will be fewer Christians.

As opposed to African Americans? Who are more religious then whites in general? Or Latinos who are overwhelmingly Catholic?

There are far more different people than blacks or latinos. Some bring religions and cultures that are utterly foreign to the USA.

We cannot expect to maintain any culture if such differences are introduced…the culture will change with those people and with it the entire USA.

Seriously. I want to be a hyphenated American too, so I can get special priviledges and stuff.

But Whites, African American, and Latinos are by far the majority in the US with about 85% of the population and most immigrants are Latinos who are Catholic. The big shift in U.S culture right now is among mostly whites becoming less and less religious, Immigrants if anything will Christianize the country further. The Whites who are having less kids also are more likely to not be Christian. I don’t see how this is going to result in some big shift in U.S culture.

You are making my point. The very fact that whites for the first time have had less babies tells us how far they have fallen with their religion. There should be no contest, whites should have the most babies by a large margin because they dominate the adult population…yet they do not. THAT is a very, very bad thing for the USA for many reasons.

72.4% of the population is white…yet that population is having less children than any other group. That is a huge problem because it means the white population is stepping aside and allowing the culture to change right before its eyes.

For the record, I could not care less if the whites were purple…what matters is the culture, the nation and the faith…all of which is in grave danger.

True, most non-religious whites have few if any children, where as most white Catholic families I know have anywhere from 4-10 kids. Let the atheists/agnostics die off. We can breed them out of existence. :smiley:

I’m looking foward to more Mexican/Asian restaraunts.

I just wish they would convert a few of their FM stations back to country music. They are nearly extinct around here.

Not me. I want barbeque. Good-Q. Not Faux-Q.

Could somebody, please!, tell me where I can find a decent Indian restaurant in Miami?

You are already one. French-Canadian American, I believe.

I will say, I do love a well made taco. Stop making me hungry. :smiley:

And chile relleno tacos … how come I could find them everywhere in Chicago, but can’t find any here!

Well I was raised on fresh from Red River catfish and BBQ and still eat both on a regular basis. But we have some good Mexican restaurants here and need some better Asian ones.

If you ever drive I35 to Texas you have to stop at smokin joes in Davis, OK and McGehees Catfish in Marietta.

I must warn you though, the portion size at smokin joes may make you feel like going to a confessional after your done, every meal feels like a food eating competition there.

Not all “ethnic” Americans get special privileges!

Dunno about Miami, but there’s no shortage of Mexican restaurants around here.

We have one BBQ place that was serving redneck tacos. It was soft tacos stuffed with pulled pork and their bbq sauce…need to go back and see if they still got em. It was good.

In terms of race, it is hard to say why Hispanics are not considered white like the rest of Euramericans.

In terms of American values, the “In God we trust, e pluribus unum and liberty”, the still white-dominated schools and the culture are already teaching these very poorly, or not at all.
Being native American white is no guarantee at all that you will still hold these values at all, or would not opt for the fraternity and equality so dear to the European motherland.

Belief precedes even life .To the extent that white Americans too have stopped believing in the extraordinary and exceptional nature of their country, it follows that they stop believing in bringing children into the medocrity that now guides them too.

America is not so much losing its whiteness, which is merely skin deep anyway . Rather it is losing its soul.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.