Census

Does the census that caused Joseph to travel back to Bethlehem still exist?

If so, what does it tell us?

Probably not since the time that there was a Roman Empire (and I don’t mean the Holy Roman Empire).

It was the Roman Emperor who wanted to know how many folks there were in the Empire, so he could make sure they were all taxed to the max.

[quote="Peggy_in_Burien, post:2, topic:346723"]
Probably not since the time that there was a Roman Empire (and I don't mean the Holy Roman Empire).

It was the Roman Emperor who wanted to know how many folks there were in the Empire, so he could make sure they were all taxed to the max.

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

[quote="Peggy_in_Burien, post:2, topic:346723"]
Probably not since the time that there was a Roman Empire (and I don't mean the Holy Roman Empire).

[/quote]

Even if they were taxed to the max, the money was then spent on favored people/places. So, if the census still exists, couldn't we learn much from it; historically, spiritually, and economically?

Since the Roman Empire, who imposed the census and the taxes, basically ceased to exist more than 1,600 years ago, who would be taking this census?

The United Nations keeps track of the population numbers of the planet. The United States takes it’s own census every 10 years (the next one in 2020) for the same purposes (and in my humble opinion outcome) as Roman Empire did: taxing to the max and giving it to favored groups.

It seems from the context of post #3 that the OP is actually asking if that particular census (if such a census ever existed, but that is a diiscussion for the Scripture subforum) is extant.

The answer is no.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.