Center of Bible?

Center of Bible?

Maybe some of you have seen the email that gets circulated with a PowerPoint presentation which goes something like this:

What is the shortest chapter in the Bible? Answer = Psalm 117
What is the longest chapter in the Bible? Answer = Psalm 119
What chapter is in the center of the Bible? Answer = Psalm 118
There are 594 chapters before Psalm 118 and 594 after. Add 594 + 594 = 1188.
What is the center verse in the Bible? Psalm 118:8

“It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man.” (NKJV)

Then you are asked to pass the email on to others.

Of course this concept only applies when using an incomplete Bible of 66 books. (although I have not confirmed the accuracy of the statements)

Does anyone know the answers to the above questions when using a complete Bible of 73 books?

What is a loving way to respond to this?

good question. looks like we have some research to do. thanks

Actually, you answered your own question: this concept only applies when using an incomplete Bible of 66 books.

“You did a good job” or “This is interesting/fascinating” :slight_smile:

These are great tools to help people to find things in their Bible.

It’s nothing wrong with it (IMO). Just like there is nothing wrong with Jehovah’s Witnesses evangelizing going door to door, or for LDS (Mormons) to ride around on bicycles. :rolleyes:

I believe a person would be WRONG to not promote his/her faith. If it was wrong, how can it be their faith?

It wouldn’t be so hard to find similar tidbits in the Catholic Bible. That could be a great exercise by a person or a group. :smiley:

For me, I have found that I found much more interest and desire to understand the Bible when I was a teen when I found such interesting details.

Do what you need to do to get you to at least start reading and studying.:stuck_out_tongue:

The only problem with these kinds of games is that they imply/can lead to the conclusion that such things as the verse numbers or the order of the books in the Bible are inspired or have meaning/significance. It is surprising how many people believe that the original writers numbered their sentences and chapters. And how many people think that the Bible has always been “a book.”

This in turn plays into the misunderstandings around both the origins and the role of Scripture.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.