Centering Prayer

Catholic Answers is definitely against the meditation known as “centering prayer.” They have an article in “This Rock” warning that it is dangerous (November 1977), and various other warnings which can be found simply by searching catholic.com for “centering prayer.”

What concerns me is that the United States Council of Catholic Bishops encourages Centering Prayer. In answer to the question, “What are the most important elements for spiritual formation for lay ecclesial ministers?” on this webpage, they tell the reader (among many other things) to take courses in “Holistic Spirituality,” specifying centering prayer.

I also went to the Vatican website itself, and through a search I discovered this page, in which the Most Rev. Fr. Bernardo OLIVERA, Abbot General of the Cistercian Order of the Strict Observance, advises pastors to encourage “the personal encounter with the Living Christ” specifically by “mak[ing] certain forms known, both traditional and current, of Christian contemplative prayer, as for instance, in centering prayer.”

What are we to make of this? Is there any official Church document opposing centering prayer, or are we to conclude that in the eyes of the official Church in America, it is a safe method of contemplation?

I don’t know if bans in other subfora apply across the site, but this topic is banned at least in the spirituality subforum because of the heated battles and lack of civiliity when it comes to this topic.

I would like to just know what this prayer is please?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.