Centering Prayer

What is the Churchs’ stance on “centering prayer”.A form of prayer much like trancendental meditation,only instead of a mantra one is to keep focus on Jesus name.I thought I read somewhere that thi is not approved by the CC.Thanks in advance for any replies.

Avoid like the plague.

Ummm, Jeanne S. :o

Not a good topic for this forum.

The topic of centering prayer has become a disruption in the forums and is no longer permitted.

Any questions about centering prayer should be directed to our apologists. Before contacting them, please review these answers, articles, and programs from Catholic Answers about centering prayer:

The above quote is from the sticky about Centering Prayer. If you go to the sticky, there are listed resources for your own research

O.K. Thanks,will do. This topic came up in my small faith group,a few participate in this practice. I told them my thoughts,just wanted to follow up with some concrete references.

Moderators,please delete this thread. Thank you!

:popcorn:

Hi Jeanne,

Please click here: forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=434589

and you can find a number of articles that will explain the Church’s teaching on it (scroll down near the bottom of page).

Anybody want to talk about Lectio Divina?

[quote="AlanFromWichita, post:8, topic:291285"]
Anybody want to talk about Lectio Divina?

[/quote]

Start a new thread ...:)

I believe the OP question was what is the Church’s teaching on Centering Prayer…it is not “Avoid it like the plague”.

Certainly, if not approached properly, it can be problematic (as in an Eastern Mediation style where the concentration is on emptiness of the mind rather than the attentively listening for the fullness of Christ).

But Centering Prayer can be done without violating any Church principles, dogma, or doctrine.

Peace and all good!

And I think that’s all that needs to be said about it.

If the OP wants more info, PM me.

God Bless
Jim

Nope. Centering prayer has been condemned many times (Father Mitch Pacwa, for example).

If you want to pray the real prayer of the Church, then pray Lectio Divina.

Centering prayer is a New Age fake copy. :slight_smile:

[quote="Luigi_Daniele, post:12, topic:291285"]
Nope. Centering prayer has been condemned many times (Father Mitch Pacwa, for example).

Centering prayer is a New Age fake copy. :)

[/quote]

I have not seen CP effectively condemned in an honest discussion. OTOH I have seen many straw men condemned in place of CP. I wasn't going to discuss the topic, but I didn't want your claim to go by itself because IMO it is not complete.

If you had simply said to try Lectio Divina I wouldn't have replied.

Alan

The post

Centering prayer is a New Age fake copy.

This is misinformation on Centering Prayer and it is why I requested years ago, that Centering Prayer be banned from this forum.

People who do CP respect the rule and so should those who oppose it.

Jim

[quote="AlanFromWichita, post:13, topic:291285"]
I have not seen CP effectively condemned in an honest discussion. OTOH I have seen many straw men condemned in place of CP. I wasn't going to discuss the topic, but I didn't want your claim to go by itself because IMO it is not complete.

If you'd simply have said to try Lectio Divina I wouldn't have replied.

Alan

[/quote]

Alan,

My limited research suggests otherwise.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=4037

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=60764

I, too, will not post in this thread again, Jim and Alan.

Here is Catholic Answers’s posted “sticky” articles – posted for readers consideration by Catholic Answers Moderator-- see the bottom -then they note readers can then contact the apologists with questions if one has any.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=434589

It also contains the Catholic Answers ban on the subject among others.

[quote="Bookcat, post:16, topic:291285"]
Here is Catholic Answers's posted "sticky" articles -- posted for readers consideration by Catholic Answers Moderator-- see the bottom -then they note readers can then contact moderators/apologists with questions.

[/quote]

Yeah, I've read all the articles and they are either misleading, or false and one even borders being fraudulent.

Jim

This is the information post from Catholic Answers Staff – one must direct concerns to them.

[quote="Bookcat, post:16, topic:291285"]
Here is Catholic Answers's posted "sticky" articles -- posted for readers consideration by Catholic Answers Moderator-- see the bottom -then they note readers can then contact the apologists with questions if one has any.

[/quote]

CAF moderators have opinions, but their opinions are no more the definitive teaching of the church as any CAP members are. Show me something issued by the Magesterium or Vatican clearly outlawing Centering Prayer and we can talk.

We are not permitted to discuss this subject. I refer you to the Catholic Answers Staff with any questions or concerns. It is their forum --their rules.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.