Central America, Mexico hit by mudslides; 117 dead

swissinfo.org/sen/swissinfo.html?siteSect=143&sid=6141283&cKey=1128553511000&ticker=true

Huge mudslides, flooding and torrential rains from Hurricane Stan have killed at least 117 people in Central America and southern Mexico, rescue workers said on Wednesday.

Relentless rain pounded mountain villages and urban shanty towns across the impoverished region, and hillsides collapsed under the weight of four days of downpours.

The death toll nearly doubled on Wednesday when rivers burst their banks in southern Mexico, and emergency teams found another 42 people buried under several feet of mud in remote Guatemalan towns. Unconfirmed reports said hundreds may have died in an isolated region of western Guatemala.

I will remember in evening prayer.

There are millions of people affected by this tragedy.
Hundreds of deaths in San Salvador and in Guatemala. In Mexico (Chiapas, Oaxaca, Veracruz) there are still people trapped in their houses because their towns are completely covered with water. The rivers destroyed bridges, roads. People is desperate for help.
It is such a huge catastrophe, I wonder why CNN International has not said a word about it?:hmmm:
They have a local program (CNN en español) and their correspondants in Guatemala, San Salvador and Mexico have informed them of this. They have shown images of the devastation that still continues today, so how come they do not say a word in their international programs?
What a shame! :nope:

Alma

Thats very sad, I was there right there right about this time last year. I have to wonder if its hard for anyone to get up there due to access problems, especially if they are up in the mountains. I was thinking it might be a little hard to get to NO, but this would be nearly impossible. First off the roads are not that good, and then they could be blocked by mudslides or washed out.

Please keep them in our prayers.

[quote=jman507]Thats very sad, I was there right there right about this time last year. I have to wonder if its hard for anyone to get up there due to access problems, especially if they are up in the mountains. I was thinking it might be a little hard to get to NO, but this would be nearly impossible. First off the roads are not that good, and then they could be blocked by mudslides or washed out.

Please keep them in our prayers.
[/quote]

Your assumptions are right unfortunately. Roads are blocked, bridges destroyed and is very difficult to get help by air because of the mountanius regions, and because it won´t stop raining.
Now the death toll is over a thousand and it keeps going up. There are towns completely destroyed (especially in Guatemala) so it is probable it won´t be known how many people died.
:gopray: :gopray: :gopray:

:crying: more sadness-keeping them all in my prayers. the day started with an earthquake and ended with a mudslide. not a good day!

A town buried in Guatemala. Authorities are planning to declare the whole town a common grave. :crying:

The following link is in Spanish. You can get it translated at www.worldlingo.com
Just click on website translation
I tried to post the translation but it won´t let me

lanacion.com.ar/exterior/nota.asp?nota_id=746124

:gopray2: :gopray:

%%% EXPERIMENTAL %%% ATTENTION: PRESIDENT FOX, PRESIDENT BUSH, PRESIDENTS OF COUNTRIES IN CENTRAL AMERICA AND SOUTH AMERICA

All these deserts around the Gulf of Mexico need to be planted with plants and trees.

These deserts warm the air and the air over the Gulf of Mexico. As hot air rises, a vacuum or low pressure is produced beneath. And THIS LOW PRESSURE IS WHAT CAUSES THESE HURRICANES FROM THE ATLANTIC TO BE SUCKED INTO THE GULF OF MEXICO AND CENTRAL AMERICA.

It is just simple. AIR FROM A HIGH PRESSURE AREA WILL ALWAYS MOVE TO A LOW PRESSURE AREA. Just like the tires in your car. Press the tire valve and the air inside the tire gets out because the pressure inside the tire is greater than the pressure outside the tire. But air from an air tank will flow into the tire because the air in the air tank is at a higher pressure than the pressure inside the tire. SO TOO WITH THESE HURRICANES!!!
the-eurasian@earthlink.net

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.