Chain letter?

I just received this email from a relative. I never forward these things, but how would I respond to this to inform her of all the errors contained in it? It seems to misrepresent prayer, novenas, etc.
I’ll probably copy and paste your response to her, because I don’t even know where to begin.
Thank you for your help.
“Let’s see if this works… Okay, I picked seven people who I thought would DO this. I hope I chose the right seven, PLEASE send back to me. I wished for something and I want it to happen and it can only happen with your help. In case anyone is interested, Saint Therese is known as the Saint of the Little Ways. Meaning she believed in doing the little things in life well and with great love. She is also the patron Saint of flower growers and florists. She is represented by roses. May everyone be blessed who receives this message. Theresa’s Prayer cannot be deleted. REMEMBER to make a wish before you read the poem. That’s all you have to do. There is nothing attached. This is a powerful novena. Just send this to seven people and let me know what happens on the fourth day. Do not break this, please. Prayer is one of the best free gifts we receive. There is no cost but a lot of reward. (Did you make a wish?) If you don’t make a wish, it won’t come true. Last chance to make a wish!

“May today there be peace within. May you trust your highest power that you are exactly where you are meant to be. May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith. May you use those gifts that you have received, and pass on the love that has been given to you… May you be content knowing you are a child of God… Let this presence settle into our bones, and allow your soul the freedom to sing, dance, praise and love. It is there for each and every one of you.”

Now, send this to 7 people within the next 5 minutes and your wish will come true. And remember to send this back, you’ll see why. “

The problem I am most concerned with is your relative’s belief in the promise, “send this to 7 people within the next 5 minutes and your wish will come true”. Trusting in the empty promise of an email chain letter is offensive to God – it is superstition.

The Catechism defines superstition as, “The attribution of a kind of magical power to certain practices or objects, like charms or omens. Reliance on such power, rather than on trust in God, constitutes an offense against the honor due to God alone, as required by the first commandment” (CCC Glossary).

Rather than trusting in the promise of the email, I suggest that your relative consider expressing his or her “wish” to God, through prayer.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.