Chalice

So! I’ve been reading up on how chalices are usually an ordination gift for the priest. What about religious priests who take a vow of poverty? Can they still receive a chalice from their families? Does it dependent on the religious order? Simple or solemn vows?

Probably the best thing would be to contact the religious superior of the candidate. He would know of any restrictions for that particular order.

We have many seminarians from South America and Africa. The Knights of Columbus often give them a chalice in memory of a deceased member of the council. There are many that can’t afford one. Also, vestments of the seminarians preference e age also a good gift.

I know the Oblates of Mary Immaculate who served my parish often had their own chalices, usually given to them at ordination.

I shall give what is practiced in my Congregation and in my province (Claretian Missionaries - Philippine Province), though also practiced by most of the congregations/societies/orders in this country.

Normally, the Congregation provides the Paten and Chalice for the newly ordained because of the vow of poverty - everything is owned by the community and another reason for this is that most Filipino families cannot afford a vessel, as priests mostly come from low-income families supported by generous donors.

Now most of the time, these generous donors are also generous enough to provide the newly ordained with new vessels, sometimes even a full mass kit with vestments.

Like with all gifts given to a member of a community professing poverty, these gifts are automatically surrendered to the community, for the benefit of the community.

Benedictines are allowed to receive small gifts, with the permission of the abbot, but a gift of this nature is likely to become property of the whole community and used at their conventual Mass, or at any other of the small chapels that exist in the monastery.

Benedictines do not take a vow of poverty but vow stability, obedience and inner conversion. They live under a Rule and an Abbot which dictate the “obedience” part of their vow. As such they are not allowed to own anything in private according to the Rule, everything is communal property except as set out in Chapter 54 of the Rule:

On no account shall a monastic be allowed
to receive letters, blessed tokens or any little gift whatsoever
from parents or anyone else,
or from his brothers
or to give the same,
without the Abbot’s permission.
But if anything is sent him even by his parents,
let him not presume to take it
before it has been shown to the Abbot.
And it shall be in the Abbot’s power to decide
to whom it shall be given,
if he allows it to be received;
and the brother to whom it was sent should not be grieved,
lest occasion be given to the devil.

Should anyone presume to act otherwise,
let him undergo the discipline of the Rule.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.