Challenge of the Superfriends

Let's forget the whole spirit of cooperation and teamwork that made the Hall of Justice so powerful to begin with - which one of these mighty heroes would you choose to defend the earth against the Legion of Doom. Note Superman is not included. Why? Because he's obviously the most powerful, so like the smart kid in class that doesn't always raise his hand so the dumber kids will have a chance to answer, he's sitting this one out in the fortress of solitude.

I vote Scooby:)

Where is Green Lantern?

Thank you for including Gleek the Monkey Boy!

El Dorado, the cadillac of superfriends.

Wonder Woman-if you are going to have a superfriend they might as well be a Babe

Everyone here should enjoy this Cartoon Network commercial... :p

youtube.com/watch?v=lfvR4hl-Gzw

I think Green Lantern might fall under the Superman rule. Although they always made him a bit of a patsy in the cartoon he’s a pretty powerful guy overall. I vote for Batman, always handy to have the world’s most dangerous man on your side. Wonder Woman would be my second choice were we allowd one as she is a trained warrior unlike most of the others. No way would I vote for that icon of PC gone crazy Black Vulcan. If the makers of Superfriends had wanted a black DC hero they had some to choose from but instead they added this character to it. Superfriends is fairly awful though, the later DC animated universe stuff was far more well-written, but you have to view SF in context and accept it was what was allowable in it’s day for animation involving super-heroes.

This one’s good too:

youtube.com/watch?v=91KK09FAux4&feature=related
:smiley:

BATS BABY!:thumbsup:

[quote="DChacon, post:10, topic:184711"]
BATS BABY!:thumbsup:

[/quote]

Yes indeedy, would you argue with this guy?

http://screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/the-dark-knight-returns.jpg

And further supporting my assertion and also proving Batman is possibly either a)More nuts than you realised or b)In touch with something greater than himself that keeps him going or c)possibly both.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i19/stuffoffiction/More%20Comics/TheDarkKnightReturnsComic.jpg

Why no Green Lantern? Because they only let you put 10 options in the poll. And because diversity is a strength, and inclusion is a conscious choice, I chose to include some of the underrepresented minorities of superheroes, such as El Dorado, Black Vulcan, and Apache Chief. When I was a kid I thought Apache Chief was the coolest, and they really never featured him. I mean, who can beat a guy who can grow bigger than the earth itself, and yet speaks only in broken English and native American platitudes. I also found El Dorado very mysterious because they barely ever showed him except during the opening credits, and even now I don't know what his super power was.

And I do believe it was even acknowledged among the Superfriends themselves that Green Lantern was the next most powerful one after Superman. He can basically do anything. So it's only fair that he also sits it out.

I figured with the choices I put in there Batman would come out on top. Maybe I should have handicapped him with Robin.

I voted for Aquaman because I can't swim and I'm deathly afraid of water, so he's my hero! (Yeah, I know, Batman can send the Bat-Boat, Wonder Woman could throw me her magic lasso, etc.... I'm focusing on specialties!):D

[quote="Bobby_Jim, post:13, topic:184711"]
Why no Green Lantern? Because they only let you put 10 options in the poll. And because diversity is a strength, and inclusion is a conscious choice, I chose to include some of the underrepresented minorities of superheroes, such as El Dorado, Black Vulcan, and Apache Chief. When I was a kid I thought Apache Chief was the coolest, and they really never featured him. I mean, who can beat a guy who can grow bigger than the earth itself, and yet speaks only in broken English and native American platitudes. I also found El Dorado very mysterious because they barely ever showed him except during the opening credits, and even now I don't know what his super power was.

And I do believe it was even acknowledged among the Superfriends themselves that Green Lantern was the next most powerful one after Superman. He can basically do anything. So it's only fair that he also sits it out.

I figured with the choices I put in there Batman would come out on top. Maybe I should have handicapped him with Robin.

[/quote]

Green Lantern is even more powerful nowadays as they removed that weakness where the ring won't work on anything coloured yellow.

Where is Underdog?

youtube.com/watch?v=fcjOi_3H7gw

Superhero though he may be, Underdog wasn’t part of the “Superfriends” animated show from the '70s-'80s.

One interesting point of discussion is that some of these heroes’ personas differed quite a bit on the cartoon, vs what it might be in the comics either from that time period or now. E.g. Batman in the cartoons from that era is a much less dark figure. And of course some of the heroes (like Apache Chief and El Dorado) had no comic book.

Green Lantern. I don’t care about being diverse, Hal Jordan rocks!

Green Lantern FTW.

Definitely. even though the Batman of that time period in the comics was less dark than he is now he was still far darker than Superfriends could ever hope to be. I don’t know why they used all these half-arsed characters like Apache Chief etc. as DC did have (even then) some heroes from different ethnic backgrounds knocking about they could have used. Black Vulcan is there because they wanted to use Black Lightning but DC had legal conflicts with his creator at that point.

Superfriends was a very kid friendly show. The later Batman series from the 1990’s and the Justicle League etc. could address slightly more adult topics as the world had moved on.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.