Change of plans...advice please and thank you!

In case you didn’t read my last post “Converting…how to tell parents?” I was planning on attending college in Chicago and converting through their RCIA program. However…it turns out my dream college is just too expencive :frowning: at least for the first year or so. I’m VERY grateful to my parents for helping me pay for college so I didn’t want to be to hard on their wallet. So now I’m going to a college close to home…so close, in fact, that my mother told me “well, there’s no point in wasting your money on campus housing when you can live with us!” Yay. Every college kids dream right?

Well anyway, that’s not so bad. But here’s my problem. I still really want to convert to Catholicism and feel it’s the right thing. This morning I talked to my dad about Catholics (didn’t tell him I wanted to BE one…) and he doesn’t seem as opposed to them as I thought (he, like my mother, is a Baptist). Like I said in my last post, I’m really worried about how my mom will react…and NOW things are going to be more difficult…more awkward…since I’m still living at home and attending church with my friend.

Any advice on how to make this easier? (sorry if this post is redundant of my last one…I’m not trying to flood the board!)

As a convert, born to Fundamentalist Baptist parents I understand where you are coming from. I too converted in college, but I was half the country away from home…still it was a Baptist school… Anyway what I want to say is if this is where you feel God leading you, do it. It will be awkward, and it very well might be painful. However, you never know how people are going to react, and you never know, your parents may follow in your footsteps. Good luck in your journey!

Can you order a copy of “Common Ground” from www.catholicprotestant.com and watch it with them? There is also a study guide :thumbsup:

BTW, professor friends of mine tell me that kids who live at home the first year or two of college do better in school.

Beegirl,

**God Bless you! Your courage is inspirational to me!!
Jesus taught us; “And every one who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or lands, for my name’s sake, will receive a hundredfold, and inherit eternal life.” (Mt 19:14)

Here are some fantastic conversion stories;

alabamacatholicresources.com/conversion_stories.html

catholic-convert.com/about/why-im-catholic/

chnetwork.org/converts.html

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark

quovadisyouth.org/

Thanks for the support and great links :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.