Changes in the Church over the years

Background, joined the Faith in 1968, dropped out early 70's, came back in 2004. Who or what entity made decisions regarding bells at consecration, reversing the altar, host in hand, etc. Long list of changes in the American Church.

I've combed over the Sacrosanctum Concilium and other documents. While inspiring (to me), I don't see specific mention of decision made to change the Liturgy. Searched the forums, but don't get a real picture of what took place. Nice thread or poll on who uses bells, but I may be missing the relevant thread.

If someone could point me the way, my thanks ahead of time.

[quote="whipp711, post:1, topic:333298"]
Background, joined the Faith in 1968, dropped out early 70's, came back in 2004. Who or what entity made decisions regarding bells at consecration, reversing the altar, host in hand, etc. Long list of changes in the American Church.

I've combed over the Sacrosanctum Concilium and other documents. While inspiring (to me), I don't see specific mention of decision made to change the Liturgy. Searched the forums, but don't get a real picture of what took place. Nice thread or poll on who uses bells, but I may be missing the relevant thread.

If someone could point me the way, my thanks ahead of time.

[/quote]

I think you are looking for the documents from the Second Vatican Council and the General Instruction of the Roman Missal (GIRM). The changes weren't just for the Church in America, but everywhere.

More

[quote="whipp711, post:1, topic:333298"]
Who or what entity made decisions regarding bells at consecration, reversing the altar, host in hand, etc. Long list of changes in the American Church.

[/quote]

Hi Whipp. Only 1 person has the authority to change the rubrics of the Mass, and that is the Pope. Pope Paul VI promulgated the form we currently call the "ordinary form" of the Mass in 1969 (for the entire world by the way, not just for the American church).

The specifics of what is to be done during a Mass are contained in the GIRM (see link from bzkoss236).

As a discipline, the form of the Mass can be changed at will by the Pope, and ultimately it is to the Pope alone why some things are allowed and some are not. For example, Pope's JP1, JP2, BXVI or Francis could (can) today change the way the Priest faces or how communion is given out or bells or incense - without the consultation or approval of anyone else.

And no, Vatican 2 did not mandate a change to anything in the Mass.

If you try searching the forums using specific questions (e.g. "communion in the hand" should keep you reading for decades) you may get more targeted answers to your inquiries.

I will allow this thread to continue only if there are no negative comments about the OF Mass or any other Church rite. Thank you.

[quote="Jean_Anthony, post:4, topic:333298"]
I will allow this thread to continue only if there are no negative comments about the OF Mass or any other Church rite. Thank you.

[/quote]

Thanks Mod. Thanks to the others on pointing the way. It seems like the Vatican II documents and GIRM are unclear or not definitive in some areas. The basic elements of the liturgy are spelled out. For instance, the bells at consecration appear to be an option. I'm lucky in that I get to travel the globe on business and practices don't always line up. Useage in the U.S. appears to be at the direction of the Priest or Bishop. Just drilling down on that one topic should be interesting.

Thanks again for the pointers.

That list will be endless.

[quote="whipp711, post:5, topic:333298"]
Thanks Mod. Thanks to the others on pointing the way. It seems like the Vatican II documents and GIRM are unclear or not definitive in some areas. The basic elements of the liturgy are spelled out. For instance, the bells at consecration appear to be an option. I'm lucky in that I get to travel the globe on business and practices don't always line up. Useage in the U.S. appears to be at the direction of the Priest or Bishop. Just drilling down on that one topic should be interesting.

Thanks again for the pointers.

[/quote]

The GIRM has gone through several revisions since the OF was first promulgated. If you really want to follow the progression, you would have to start with the first one and follow along.

And then there are other documents which touch on or relate to The Mass (for example, Redemptionis Sacramentum).

However, some of the externals (such as ringing bells at certain points in the Mass) are just that. The OF also increased the readings from the New Testament added a reading from the Old Testament, and added some new canons. And Communion in the US is widely distributed in the hand (or mouth, at your choice) and it is now available under both Species in most dioceses. And while that upsets some, it has a long history in the Church up until into the 10th century, and then again after the 15th century to date (although very narrowly allowed).

Here is a great document to start with. This is what laid the foundation for the liturgical reform that came out of VII.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.