Changes in the TLM since Pius V, vis-a-vis Quo Primum?

Is there a catalog of the changes made by various Popes to the Roman Missal since Pius V’s Quo Primum? How do these changes to the Missal stand in relation to the declaration that “We order and enjoin that nothing must be added to Our recently published Missal, nothing omitted from it, nor anything whatsoever be changed within it”? What was the context of that statement?

It has been roundly and repeatedly noted that one Pope does not have the ability to bind the following pope(s) in matters of discipline. The best explanation I have seen of his statement is that he intended that no one would change anything on his watch.

as to the history of the changes, I suspect that one could find material, probably on the graduate level where there is a blibrary that has a solid section on Liturgy; either one at a seminary or one at a graduate school; e.g. GTU at Berkeley.

Ah, ok. That’s a good explanation.

The most significant were the Holy Week changes during the fifties, under Pius XII, in the early Bugnini era. The rest were rubrical or calendar related.

I think the additions of Clement VIII and Urban VIII should also be ranked up there because they reformatted the calendar and the rubrics. While that may seem insignificant, it is, after all, the calendar and the rubrics that determine the Mass said and the way in which is it done and the actions performed. In the case of Clement VIII and Urban VIII this also involved the re-addition of several Proper Masses into the missal.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.