Changes to liturgy?

Hi all :slight_smile:

I found a very interesting magazine called “Inside the Vatican” yesterday. It is great so far - what I have seen I highly recommend :thumbsup:

My question is based on an article I read in the magazine.

It said that Pope Benedict has made new changes in the liturgy, such as the priest facing the crucifix at Mass, communion on the tongue and kneeling, silence, etc.

These are great changes! :clapping:

However, the article was not clear if these are just changes Benedict is making to his own celebrations or that he is asking all priests to implement them around the world at the celebration of all Masses? :hmmm:

I had heard some months back that some changes were being made in the liturgy to the wording. But does anyone know if these are also official changes that have made to the liturgy around the world and if so, where can I go to read about all of the changes officially?

If they are official changes, I am excited :extrahappy:

Thanks!

The changes you’re describing are ones the Holy Father has made for his own Masses. He intends his own practice to serve as a positive example for others to follow, but has not imposed or mandated these things on others.

And the upcoming changes to the Mass translation do not include changes to any of the things you mention. Many people, I think, hope that the more elevated and reverent language of the translations will prompt priests to elevate the level of celebration in other respects – like the things you’re asking about – but, again, those things are not being imposed.

Thanks!

I had a feeling it was more just the changes that the Pope was making to his own Masses, but I was not sure.

Where can I read about the changes in the translation? Can you recommend any good online resources?

Thanks again :slight_smile:

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

The USCCB (U.S. Bishops’ Conference) has a pretty good site explaining the changes, with links to FAQs, sample texts including all of the revised people’s parts, and lots more. (and a countdown in the upper right corner – 222 days left!).

Great resource!

I thought the “also with you” that comes after “The Lord be with you” was going to be changed to “and with thy spirit” or “and with your spirit”?

usccb.org/romanmissal/samples-people.shtml

Yes, it is being changed to “And with your spirit.” Look at the right-hand column of your link:
NEW TEXT

Priest: The Lord be with you.
People: And with your spirit.
The light blue (center) column is the present, outgoing text.

Ah okay. My window is narrow and I didn’t scroll across, LOL.

That’s the case.

The new translation is actually a more correct one for the English vernacular, bringing to match the Latin of the previous missal.

Of all the retranslations from the Second Vatican Council, only the U.S. translations played too glib with the literal meanings. The original 1962 text in Latin was “Et cum spíritu tuo.” How that became “And also with you” and not the precise, “And with your spirit” (as found in other venacular translations) is *exactly *why the U.S. translation has been rewritten.

Some of our Holy Father’s liturgical practices are finding their way into parishes in my diocese. For example, several parishes now place kneelers so that parishioners may kneel to receive Holy Communion if they wish. Altar crucifixes are springing up all over the place like Christmas trees. Nearly every parish now uses altar bells and patens again, and the custom of having six candles on the altar between the priest and the people is also becoming more common.

This is true. I travel a lot, and I go to Mass in other countries, and they say (in their langauge) “and with your spirit.” In Italian it is “e con il tuo spirito.”

Yay for chages! :thumbsup:

A cognate is not always a precise translation. And the “your” is somewhat ambiguous in English. But I’m not going to argue the point as to what’s precise. At the time of the translations (1967?) they actually replaced the more handmissal “and with thy spirit” with something more modern and which would catch on more quickly. I’m not defending any translation but today the “and also with you” response is used extensively inside and outside of the Catholic liturgy, even in the Protestant liturgies. It will be interesting if the “and with your spirit” spreads to those other settings.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.