Changing Churches

I have been attending a local Church of God now for the last 19 years. While I’m not Pentecostal my wife was raised in the church. I was raised in Southern Baptist but did not attend much as a child. So now it’s time to change churches for various reasons and my mother inlaw who is Pentecostal is giving my wife a very hard time about it even to the point of saying don’t deny the Holy Spirit by changing churches to the Southern Baptist.:confused: Anyway, I belive you recieve the Holy Spirit when Baptized and I think they(Pentecostal) think you only get it after speaking in tounges. Does anyone have any help for me?

Mother in law doesn’t count. Just you and your wife. You do understand that mother in law will be just as hostile to the majority faith of this website?

In matters of faith, your own heart should be your ownly guide. Your heart will lead you where you need to go, and when. Trust it, and frankly no one else. To do what another human wishes, any human, is a disservice to the spirit within who will guide you.

You received the Holy Spirit when you were baptised, in fact you became a Catholic when you were baptised. You were a Catholic for just a moment up until you became a member of some other church. You do not lose the Holy Spirit when you change churches, only when you sin. Your choice, your church.

Maybe these scripture verses will help you.

1 Corinthians 12:28 (New King James Version)

28 And God has appointed these in the church: first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, varieties of** tongues.**

Note: tongues listed last…the Holy Spirit must be working in the other gifts even before “tongues” arrives on the scene.

For me…this is the “right on” passage from Paul:

1 Corinthians 12: 1-11 (New King James Version)

Spiritual Gifts: Unity in Diversity

1 Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I do not want you to be ignorant: 2 You know that you were Gentiles, carried away to these dumb idols, however you were led. 3 Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God calls Jesus accursed, and no one can say that Jesus is Lord except by the Holy Spirit.
4 There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord. 6 And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all. 7 But the **manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all: 8 for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit, 10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. 11 But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills.

Here is the “Closer” for my money:

1 Corinthians 13: 1-3 & 13 (New King James Version)

The Greatest Gift

1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. 2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned,** but have not love, it profits me nothing.**…
13 And now [size=4]abide[/size] [remains] faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Note: Love is what proves the Holy Spirit is at work in a person…no matter what gifts they have received. The reason is that “love” is the greatest of the three…is because GOD IS LOVE[INDENT]

1 John 4:8 New King James Version **
8.** He who does not love does not know God**, for God is love.**

So…the only thing that we can carry out of this life and this world when we die and go before Our Lord Jesus for our particular judgment right after death…are our acts of lovelove of God & love of neighbor (sacrificial love…as Jesus has loved us). Faith and Hope disappear (as well as tongues and all the other gifts of the Spirit)…because in the next life…only love remains. Or said another way…**"…you never see the Hearse going to the cemetery to bury someone with a U-Haul and/or a Brinks truck following it!" **
[/INDENT]Hope these help…good luck.
Pax Christi

Personally, I would tell her that it was the Holy Spirit guiding you on this journey, and that you trust the Holy Spirit’s judgement in this matter more than your own.

Then I would tell her don’t let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya!..Just kidding!!:smiley:

This really is between you, your wife, and the Lord. She should respect that. She may not have to like it, but she should respect it.

Well I have never joined a church I have just attended and paid tiths. I may have been a member as a child through my parents but as a free will adult I have not joined. In fact I belive the Catholic Church to be the true Church…but that is for another post.

I would love to see you explain the bold part of your comment. If you believe the Catholic Church is the true Church, why would you not want to be a part of it?

God bless

To the OP- This is something that you and your wife will have to decide with much study and prayer. In regards to your mother-in-law’s comment about you denying the Holy Spirit by converting to the SBC, that seems to be the result of a radical Charismatic view.

Most Pentecostals believe you receive the Holy Spirit when you turn to Christ in faith and repentance. That’s the SBC’s position. Where some Pentecostals differ is that you get a “second blessing” of the HS when you speak in tongues. Most Southern Baptists do not believe in tongues continuing to this day at all and no Southern Baptists believe in a “second blessing.”

If I’m reading your post right and your wife’s church doesn’t believe you get the HS at all until you speak in tongues, that is very troubling to say the least.

As an ex-penticostal all I can say is run while you still can :smiley:

Although I trust that she is only wanting what SHE thinks is best for her daughter, your mother in law doesn’t get a vote. Which Church to attend is only between you and your wife. Talk about, pray on it - and then go. Once you are settled in, your mother in law will accept it. It’s only because things are up in the air that she is being so forceful.

Now this next part is based on my personal experience as a convert to the Catholic Church: YOU will never be at peace if you don’t go to the Church that you honestly, in your heart of hearts, believe is true. If you believe the Catholic Church to be true, I pray that is where you have the courage to go.

God bless you. :slight_smile:

Your mother in law is saying what she believe is correct. Most (not all) Pentecostals that is have met do believe as she does. You can not let her be your deciding factor.

Now about your statement that you believe the Catholic Church to be the true Church. If this is the case then how can you even consider going to any other? I will visit the churches of other family members after Mass if there is a special event such as baptism etc… I do not take part but as an observer I do stand and sing as need be ( when in Rome do as the Romans) But in do not take an active role in the ceremonies. Why? because I would be giving witness that I believe as they do or equating there beliefs with that of the Catholic Church which I do not. I respect their right to hold these beliefs. My father is Southern Baptist, My mother is Lutheran, and there are various other denomination in the family. For the most part only a couple that are non denom evangelical ever try to argue faith matters with me. and they argue with the whole family about all Churches. They are starting to leave my alone though as I can defend the Church with both scripture and early church fathers writings. I you believe as you stated then you are denying yourself to even consider the baptist instead of going Home the the Catholic Church.

Well my family is a faith unit headed by the father then mother. Since we were married as Protestants I understand how my wife feels. I have come to the point to where I see the logic of the Catholic Church, she has not. So I am teaching her slowly about the Church. All things in good time. You would not belive the amount of folks(Protestants) that I have had discussions with that have learned something of the Church that they had belived that was incorrect. Sometimes you get a very different response from a Protestant when one of their own defends Catholic doctrine. Anyway, you(Catholics) have a friend in me.:thumbsup:

4Squrebaby, SpiritMeadow, ricko, Lancer, twopekinguys,RomanCatholic, Paul3144, Zlatan, yellowbrid and oneGodoneChurch thanks for the replies!

Peace be with you Brother and with your wife. Let the Holy Spirit Guide you it will not lead you wrong.

Well God bless you and your wife on your journey. Mine was similar however it was my protestant wife who desired to become Catholic and got me to make good my Baptismal promises. We entered the Church together in 2006.

God bless you

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.