Changing God's Words

:confused: :confused: :confused:

I’m a bit preturbed by this and would like some explaination/reassurance.

I read here the following:

Fourth Day:

Today bring to Me THOSE WHO DO NOT BELIEVE IN GOD AND THOSE WHO DO NOT YET KNOW ME. I was thinking also of them during My bitter Passion, and their future zeal comforted My Heart. Immerse them in the ocean of My mercy.*

And then in the footnotes:

*Our Lord’s original words here were “the pagans.” Since the pontificate of Pope John XXIII, the Church has seen fit to replace this term with clearer and more appropriate terminology

So the Church is actually Changing the actual words of God as given directly to St. Faustina :confused: :confused: :confused:

Is this not a bit out of Order ???

Wasn’t Sr. Faustina Polish? Isn’t it possible that the original translation of her diary which said ‘pagans’ could just as accurately be translated as ‘those who do not know me?’

Translations are not necessarily ‘word for word’ and so the original translation of the Polish as "pagans’ might not have been exactly the accurate reflection of the Polish either. I don’t have her diary in Polish (or some of my Polish friends who could translate), but that is an explanation that immediately came to mind. . .

The only words we know FOR SURE that God has said can only be found in the Holy Bible.

That’s a good explaination. Another example is the word “servant” in American English bibles (not sure about other English bibles). It was translated as “slave”, but “slave” means something very different than “servant” to Americans. Sometimes “changing” the actual word is done to get the point across better.

Ah ok - makes a bit more sense now :o

…:rolleyes: …the words of Scripture must stand as they are: The Word of God…locutions and visions can come, I have read, via the imaginary powers - not from the imaginary powers although this could happen too. Hence with those who have locutions and visions, their imagination may play a certain part. Not that I am any sort of expert in these things…Certainly I would prefer to believe the words of a Pope (recent Popes of my time) than the words of a mystic…once The Church affirms that a private revelation is approved, it simply means that the faithful may believe if they choose since nothing contradicts the Teachings of The Church. If The Church decides to alter something in a private revelation then I certainly trust the integrity of The Church. I have no reason to doubt such integrity to date, au contraire every reason to invest trust in it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.